British Speedway Forum
Hamish McRaker

Footwear In The Pits

We were discussing Pit Rules and Regulations. Riders themselves wear Boots anyway - we are discussing the case of a Mechanic. In this instance a Rider who was acting as a Mechanic for a Rider during the Meeting - we were not discussing Riders per sé.

being a spanner man ,trainers are good enough for the job , wouldn't wear flip flops myself but if josh feels they good for him then fine with me , I wouldn't wear high heeled shoes to drive in but some women do

Some of those lackies/mechanics/helpers even smoke in and around the pits and flick their dumps around,,, god forbid if there was anything flamable nearby.

and its been like that since god was a national league rider , pete adams is often seen smoking next to bikes in wolves pits

• Like 1

being a spanner man ,trainers are good enough for the job , wouldn't wear flip flops myself but if josh feels they good for him then fine with me , I wouldn't wear high heeled shoes to drive in but some women do

and so do some men ;)

This has to be the funniest threads in a long time...Bare feet in the pits...what were they thinking? Next they'll be racing 500 cc bikes with no brakes...or grid girls walking around in stiletto's and flammable polyester/ lycra...oh hang on a minute :rofl:

Before you know it...H&S will be advising, that everyone wears a seat belt in their car, but it's ok to cram yourself into a train doing 120 mph stood up or on the tube...it's the biggest bunch of hypocritical bunkum known to mankind...dependent on how much money can be made or enforced.

• Like 2

If my vehicle breaks down and I have to use a call out mechanic, do I want some Australian bum wearing girlie flip flops to turn up? I'd tell him ( or her) to put on some proper footwear. Otherwise my stoutly booted foot would "accidentally" tread on one of his.

If my vehicle breaks down and I have to use a call out mechanic, do I want some Australian bum wearing girlie flip flops to turn up? I'd tell him ( or her) to put on some proper footwear. Otherwise my stoutly booted foot would "accidentally" tread on one of his.

Would have thought the important thing was getting the car repaired??

• Like 2

We all make risk assessments in our lives every day ( consciously or unconsciously ). Some get it wrong and pay for it with an injury or worse. Our own decisions became a problem for the wider world if there is an insurance claim or a formal H&S issue. We have an extraordinary amount of "choice" about how we live our lives and sometimes we choose wrongly. Unless it affects others or breaks a law that is how life is.

• Like 3

We all make risk assessments in our lives every day ( consciously or unconsciously ). Some get it wrong and pay for it with an injury or worse. Our own decisions became a problem for the wider world if there is an insurance claim or a formal H&S issue. We have an extraordinary amount of "choice" about how we live our lives and sometimes we choose wrongly. Unless it affects others or breaks a law that is how life is.

I used to be a Safety Rep at both the University Department and later at a museum attraction in York and, although I did all the relevant courses and training, common sense at the end of the day is fundamental...unfortunately an attribute sadly lacking amongst many people!

• Like 2

Its the claim culture that is the issue. If he wants to walk around in flip flops it's not a problem. If he gets hurt as long as he can resist the urge to grab a couple of grand it's still not a problem.

Not sure if I was a promoter I'd be willing to risk having to pay out that couple of grand rather than get him to wear something appropriate.

• Like 1

Just catching up on this. Shocking! Josh should be transported back to Aussie. A fine pair of trainers would be much more protection from any engine being dropped on his toes.....yeh right.

Come to think of it, looking at page 9 of this week's Star, Natalie Quirk should have been pulled up for wearing girlie shoes in the pits. Proper steel toe capped boots should have been the minimum. How dare she? 😜

Think you will find 'Mechanics' will be wearing appropriate clothing, grease monkeys, lackeys,and hangers on, will be wearing flip flops etc.

• Like 1

If they were Ipanema's, he should be deported. Ripcurls are fine.

• Like 2

well we noticed it too and did coment that we were surprised it was allowed

now i agree to a point that full on safety boots might be slightly over the top but flip flops are not what id expect to see

i can remeber richard juul at workington spinning the back wheel in the pits before the meeting checking the clutch

he got his fingers caught in the chain resulting in loosing part of finger/fingers

so h&s is something to be considorded

ah bless your such a softee, I have news for you , thousands of people die everyday, it's the way life is, reading your posts recently you sound like a real bundle of joy to be around

and do you really think thrill seekers like speedway riders care a hoot about wearing proper footware ? Or any sort of health and safety for that matter

That would be the same thrill seekers that wont ride when is raining?

Jason Bunyan's female mechanic (wife/girlfriend?) used to wear flip-flops in the pits too.

Edited by Sotonian

From British Speedway regs

cold controllable water supply. (NB. Can be elsewhere in the Stadium)

h) Notices: a) to remind all personnel of their obligations under the H & S at Work Act; B) to inform unauthorised people they enter certain areas at their own risk; c) to advise riders of the need to exercise care when leaving the Pits area and entering the track ensuring they are aware of obstacles still on the track including Officials and equipment; d) to indicate no-smoking areas and e) that riding of