British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Scottish Top Five - Easy?

Ken McKinlay

George Hunter

Tommy Miller

Bert Harkins

Gordon McGregor

​Yes indeed norbold - good old Gordon McGregor. A really fine rider whose career spanned many seasons.

​Yes indeed norbold - good old Gordon McGregor. A really fine rider whose career spanned many seasons.

Wasn't Gordon a Belle Vue Rider?

I never actually saw him race, but I have read about him.

Belle Vue, Oxford, Doncaster, Glasgow, Leicester, and several others...

My five would be:

Ken McKinlay

Jim McMillan

Tommy Miller

George Hunter

Gordon McGregor

Steve

• Like 1

Belle Vue, Oxford, Doncaster, Glasgow, Leicester, and several others...

My five would be:

Ken McKinlay

Jim McMillan

Tommy Miller

George Hunter

Gordon McGregor

Steve

Agree with above in overall career achievements.

However George Hunter for the first couple of months of the newly formed BL in 1965 was, along with Charlie Monk, one of the top performers together with ex National League stars.

However he suffered a nasty head injury in a Best Pairs meeting at Old Meadowbank which adversely affected his performances thereafter.

I reckon he suffered a severe long term concussion, which then was not really diagnosed as being a serious head injury and treated appropriately as it is today.

I believe if George had not had this accident, he would have been a regular World Finalist & leading top performer for several years.

Edited by cyclone

...married a friend of my mum's!

Ken McKinlay

Jim McMillan

George Hunter

Bobby Beaton

Gordon McGregor

No doubt I would have put Tommy Miller in there somewhere near the top but I didn't get to see him thanks to parental interference! I was due to go out to the Wessex Stadium with my mates to see the NL match against Coventry in which Tommy scored a 15 point max. Unfortunately mother stepped in and stopped me going! Quite what I had done to warrant such punishment I can no longer remember but I never quite forgave her for it!

:)

​Over the years in a lengthy and distinguished career Gordon McGregor also included White City (Glasgow) and Belle Vue among his other tracks.

one for Sidney . There was a Scottish rider called Jimmy Gallacher who Barry Briggs seemed to take a shine to . I vaguely remember Barry taking him down to Swindon , did Jimmy ever ride competitive meetings for the Robins ? He was the scruffiest rider you ever saw , his leathers were full of holes and patchwork .

• Like 1

one for Sidney . There was a Scottish rider called Jimmy Gallacher who Barry Briggs seemed to take a shine to . I vaguely remember Barry taking him down to Swindon , did Jimmy ever ride competitive meetings for the Robins ? He was the scruffiest rider you ever saw , his leathers were full of holes and patchwork .

A few years ago Jim Gallacher was still regularly attending Scottish speedway reunions but I have not heard anything about him lately I think his career may have been late 1950s to early 1970s (not sure!) and that he may have been a member of Pailsey and Glasgow teams. I also tend to recall that he may also have raced in New Zealand and South Africa.

A few years ago Jim Gallacher was still regularly attending Scottish speedway reunions but I have not heard anything about him lately I think his career may have been late 1950s to early 1970s (not sure!) and that he may have been a member of Pailsey and Glasgow teams. I also tend to recall that he may also have raced in New Zealand and South Africa.

He never rode for Paisley , but was a regular member of the Coatbridge Tigers side . He rode in the early to mid seventies period .

This is a 1960s photo of Jim Gallacher (detailed in my photo collection as Gallagher). It was taken in his spell at Glasgow. I now think he was a close friend of the Templeton brothers, Doug and Willie.

11401029_1667331143486570_79632670669772

This is a 1960s photo of Jim Gallacher (detailed in my photo collection as Gallagher). It was taken in his spell at Glasgow. I now think he was a close friend of the Templeton brothers, Doug and Willie.

11401029_1667331143486570_79632670669772

That doesn't look like the same Jimmy Gallacher that rode at Coatbridge.

He had let his hair grow by the time the Tigers moved to Cliftonhill . Just googled him , his career spanned from 69 till 77

Edited by Paulco

Jimmy Tannock ,

Ken McKinaly ,

Bobby Beaton ,

George Hunter,

Jim McMillan ,

Doug / Willie Templeton

Kenny McKinna

Bert Hawkins

That doesn't look like the same Jimmy Gallacher that rode at Coatbridge

You could be right Paulco. My file does have a ? mark after the rider's name. It may well be another rider.

Gallacher rode for Swindon in 1971. There's no Swindon file on Speedway Researcher but you can work through the full season file if you want to see how he got on http://www.speedwayresearcher.org.uk/results-6.pdf

Career info at the ever helpful http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/1066