British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Are The Five Issues You Would Like Changed In British And World Speedway.?

There are so many things that need addressing in British /world speedway so it is hard to know where to start but what are the FIVE issues that really irritate you and you would like to change.Mine are 1./ Averages go back to basics one average every month including BPs. 2./Scrap the double points rule. 3./ One big league meaning more variety and fixtures. - 4./The GP series to change the top eight qualifying every-year open it up stop it from being a closed shop. 5./ The Championship and PL to work TOGETHER not against each other and with as many British riders getting places as possible.

Edited by Sidney the robin

In the GP, I would have qualifiers only, apart from the one local wildcard. In the UK, I would have one league and only use the averages once annually. Riders absent because they were riding in overseas events would only be replaceable by a NL rider. I would like to see a more standard and cheaper to run engine.

Il get shouted down for this but if there were qualifiers there's a risk some might be riders who got in and have no chance, just like the old one offs. In the good old days you could write off half the field before it started. Imagine having say 10 gps where half the field have no chance. The way it is now is a bit of a closed shop but so is the moto gps , formula 1 etc. So does speedway go back in time when everything was better, or was it? Just a thought

• Like 2

Il get shouted down for this but if there were qualifiers there's a risk some might be riders who got in and have no chance, just like the old one offs. In the good old days you could write off half the field before it started. Imagine having say 10 gps where half the field have no chance. The way it is now is a bit of a closed shop but so is the moto gps , formula 1 etc. So does speedway go back in time when everything was better, or was it? Just a thought

In a Gp now would you say there are about 8/10 who could win any round and at anytime.? In yesteryear in the one off W finals what do you recon 5/6 who could of been a serious challenger so not that much difference really.Saying that the series is in good shape just feel the top eight is going a bit stale could be tweaked some what.

Would prefer one big league and more regular fixtures.

Can't stand this doubling-up.

Edited by beefy keefy

In a Gp now would you say there are about 8/10 who could win any round and at anytime.? In yesteryear in the one off W finals what do you recon 5/6 who could of been a serious challenger so not that much difference really.Saying that the series is in good shape just feel the top eight is going a bit stale could be tweaked some what.

I agree with that Sidney but I think this year could see a few of the top 8 regulars changing. There is a fear I suppose that some of the youngsters look that good that they could be there for the next 10 years.

I agree with that Sidney but I think this year could see a few of the top 8 regulars changing. There is a fear I suppose that some of the youngsters look that good that they could be there for the next 10 years.

Yes the three Poles certainly will Dudek,Pawlicki,Bartosz looking at it that is not a bad thing is it.!!!

I am surprised nobody has mentioned what i think is one f the major problems facing speedways future.That of the decline in numbers of youngsters taking up the sport

In Denmark the number of under 16 riders seems to have dropped by about 50% over the past few years.In Germany we have just had the German U21 Final and only 14 riders competed.One heat only had 2 riders and when one had mechanical problems it was left with one rider going round on his own.A terrible situation...About a decade ago there were qualification rounds both north and south.I remember in some of the northern rounds there were so many riders that they had to hold a pre meeting qualification to get the numers down to just 16.

If this decline carries on then most of the other problems facing the sport will be irrelevant.......

Edited by iris123
  • Like 3

I am surprised nobody has mentioned what i think is one f the major problems facing speedways future.That of the decline in numbers of youngsters taking up the sport

In Denmark the number of under 16 riders seems to have dropped by about 50% over the past few years.In Germany we have just had the German U21 Final and only 14 riders competed.About a decade ago there were qualification rounds both north and south.I remember in some of the northern rounds there were so many riders that they had to hold a pre meeting qualification to get the numers down to just 16.

If this decline carries on then most of the other problems facing the sport will be irrelevant.......

Used to see second half junior racing, rare now.

• Like 1

I'm living in a world of make believe, because none of my thoughts will ever come into fruition.

But in a perfect world for me...

1. There would be two codes...Individual Speedway and Club Speedway.

2. Riders who rode Club speedway, would be provided with an engine at each meeting. These Engines would be sealed and owned by the BSPA/Clubs. The riders would provide their own rolling chassis and draw lots for the engines at each meeting. Riders would be paid a wage by the Club, and only ride for one Club in this country. If they have another job or ride abroad, then that can't interfere with Club speedway. Here comes first. Take it or leave it.

3. A Team average is set for the whole season. Riders can only be replaced with riders of the same average to when they leave. EG if said rider starts with an average of 9.00 and drops to 7.00. He can only be replaced by a rider on a 7.00 average. To stop fixing of averages.

4. There would be one league and a national league for development riders.

5. Meetings every week.

6. Covers for tracks made compulsory as they did with air fences.

7. International Test series re introduced with full 7 man teams.

8. Ignoring 5 issues and finding more ;-)

For me, the problems in Speedway stem from not having enough restrictions on the development of engines and silencers and tyres.

And allowing Individual events such as the GP series to become the priority over Club meetings.

Edited by Gresham
  • Like 2

There are so many things that need addressing in British /world speedway so it is hard to know where to start but what are the FIVE issues that really irritate you and you would like to change.Mine are 1./ Averages go back to basics one average every month including BPs. 2./Scrap the double points rule. 3./ One big league meaning more variety and fixtures. - 4./The GP series to change the top eight qualifying every-year open it up stop it from being a closed shop. 5./ The Championship and PL to work TOGETHER not against each other and with as many British riders getting places as possible.

No.3 seems to contradict no.5 - if there's one big league, no.5 doesn't apply

I agree with no.1 re averages

I agree with no.2 - I would revert to the old tac sub rules

No.3 yes - been calling for that for ages - and only for those committed to full time UK participation

No.4 - couldn't give a toss about Ole Olsen's Flying Circus - we need to get UK speedway sorted, and we do that by standing on our own two feet - those who don't want to ride here can go and do whatever they want elsewhere

I don't care about the GP, do about British speedway so here goes

1 no doubling up

2 no guests - R/R for only top three in your team

3 one main league then development league

4 no tacticals*

5 minimum 4 British riders in team **

* any rider can be replaced once by a rider on a lesser average , reserves as now 7 rides

** if no 8 from development league

i) No Tactical Rides (I would say that wouldn't I).

ii) League Champions would be League Champions ie. The Team that finishes top of the League over a Season.

iii) For those who like the Play Offs - a seperate Competition.

iv) A return to Two Valve Engines - less expensive to buy and to run.

v) Thirteen Heat Meetings with a Second Half - to encourage youngsters and give them Track time and Competition.

• Like 3

Balancing absences. If each side are missing a heat leader then both forego any facility and promote a junior. This isn't a new idea.

Ditch the tactical rides but allow the losing team to choose gate positions until they catch up. This isn't a new idea.

Pay a rider 1.5 times their points rate for bonus points and pay the leading rider an extra 50% of his points rate.

You could even include bonus points in the team score. This isn't a new idea.

I don't seem to have many new ideas do I? But then I didn't break it when it wasn't broken.

• Like 1

i) No Tactical Rides (I would say that wouldn't I).

ii) League Champions would be League Champions ie. The Team that finishes top of the League over a Season.

iii) For those who like the Play Offs - a seperate Competition.

iv) A return to Two Valve Engines - less expensive to buy and to run.

v) Thirteen Heat Meetings with a Second Half - to encourage youngsters and give them Track time and Competition.

Agree with that except, personally I never had a problem with Tactical Rides...only the double joker thingee! It gave us on the terraces something to debate and chew over trying to pre-empt the Team Manager's next move!

For those who like Play-Offs re-introduce the Knock Out Cup. One of the most talked about meetings at Cowley was the 1985 Knock Out Cup Final against Ipswich.

Allow Team Managers to put whoever they wish (except reserves) at whatever number in the team for tactical purposes.

Scrap fixed gates. Go back to alternate gates.

Looking at those proposals I've noticed that's how speedway used to be like when attendances were healthy...oh never mind! Living in the past again!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1