British Speedway Forum

What about 'em? Stuff Denmark (no offence).

Riders choose to ride here or ride over there if necessary.

If it had been Thursdays the cries of what about Ipswich, Redcar and Sheffield would be more valid.

• Like 2

What about 'em? Stuff Denmark (no offence).

Riders choose to ride here or ride over there if necessary.

If it had been Thursdays the cries of what about Ipswich, Redcar and Sheffield would be more valid.

OK what about all the Danish riders who we like to have racing in our UK teams? Edited by Trees

Im pleasantly surprised with the outcome. From a Championship perspective I like the 42.50 limit with no restrictions. It might be seen to be giving young riders a chance but Ive never liked the 2 pointer/Brits only regulations. There simply arent enough riders around who are good enough; look at the problems Newcastle have had replacing struggling 2 pointers. This gives promoters more flexibility and should make it much easier for 3-4 point riders to get team places when they might have been frozen out. Team building will be more interesting and teams who suffer injuries will have more options available.

Thank god the TR has been scrapped. An admission at last that it was a bad idea that did nothing for the sport.

Hopefully the fixed race nights will help cut down on rider unavailability which brought the sport to its knees last season. It wont stop it though and I hope promoters are sensible with team building and stop employing riders who they know will have issues with commitments abroad and individual competitions (as with Lambert last season and the regular Thursday night unavailability of the Swedes). It might be tough on riders but they need to make a decision and either commit or dont. We simply must stop the abuse of R/R and guests which is a massive turn off.

Still a shame that we only have 11 clubs at Championship level. Long for the days when we had 16/17 teams and such variety but I doubt there are enough riders to support that anyway. That aside it feels like a return to what made the old NL/PL such a success and is long overdue.

We capped the Premier League to 16 teams which included a spot for Exeter if they could find a track.

Crazy that we are using Weds, what about Denmark?

What about them? Rider can earn £2.50 3 times a year in Demark or some decent money in the U.K. Poole have never had problems and theyve employed a few Danes over the years. And Lynn rode Wednesday with Bjerre, Iversen and Korneliussen.

Denmarks not half the problem some people make out.

What about them? Rider can earn £2.50 3 times a year in Demark or some decent money in the U.K. Poole have never had problems and theyve employed a few Danes over the years. And Lynn rode Wednesday with Bjerre, Iversen and Korneliussen.

Denmarks not half the problem some people make out.

They only have two small sets of fixtures either side of a summer break.

But speedway loves mediocrity, we'll have mediocre teams competing on mediocre tracks and while we have plenty of young Brits out there we'll let worse than mediocre Aussies have work permits and then be shocked that Australia do better than us in GPs and SWCs in the future.

According to Leigh Adams in his book the worst track he ever rode was his home track in Mildura, and that by mastering that track he could ride anywhere. Maybe we need a few rubbish tracks for juniors to ride and master if they ar3 going to get on.

They only have two small sets of fixtures either side of a summer break.

29 regular season Wednesday fixtures in 2017. 13 non wednesday

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

We still have no news on guests or is Chapman’s use as may as you want in place ? The double ups will now be at overload

Nothing to bring in new fans or probably keep the few we have

If you're using R/R at #3 for your second heat leader you can use your number 1 in heat 11, 12 (R/R), 13, 14(tac sub) and 15!.

Though he'll have arms like The Funky Gibbon

Couldn't care less what the riders think. Its what the fans think. In my jobs I've a few times sat in cramped, dark, cold (or hot) trucks making TV shows but I get paid to suck it up and not moan. The important thing is that the viewer at home loves it. Not in speedway, we pander to the riders.

And to go back to the original point, if a show is crap it's scrapped. the BBC don't keep it on air because 200 people like it, they scrap it and make better alternatives for the 1000s, not the 100s - but hey, this is speedway, they know better!

If the BBC scrap something they always know that something can be soon be developed to replace it. Can speedway? The budgets are a little different I believe. The BBC has about £3.7 billion to spend each year. How much does speedway? It's a pointless and useless comparison.

We've got people on this thread wanting tracks to close because they don't like the shape. What are they supposed to be replaced with or are we to operate in some ridiculous pipe dream of half a dozen wonderful race tracks with people travelling huge distances to watch after their own tracks have been closed? Yes, bad speedway IS better than no speedway, but then what someone believes is bad speedway will delight others. I've visited plenty of full-throttle large tracks where the only interest has been the speed, with riders strung out thirty yards apart. I've also seen classic racing such as a Hyde Road. Equally I've seen good and bad racing at smaller tracks. Hackney wasn't the largest of tracks but the racing was superb, despite the risks of those lamp standards.

I take it that those who look down their noses at "any speedway being better than no speedway" would be happy to see lesser tracks in lesser leagues close?

Try losing your track. It hurts.

Now, anyone want to do worthless comparisons of speedway to other irrelevant examples? How about United Nations? Microsoft? BMW cars? Sony?

• Like 3

None of the Workington promoters attended due to family commitments

Surely the date of the AGM was known well enough in advance to prevent this happening. Or if unavoidable couldn't a deputy have been sent. Maybe the writing is on the wall for The Comets, if so very sad news.

I know the promoter is unfortunately disabled but in this day and age couldn't a Skype link have been set up ?

I have been to Torun but do not recall seeing a Tescos

Tried to use my Clubcard in Pardubice about 20yrs ago

Crazy that we are using Weds, what about Denmark?

The Danish league only ride now and then so with careful planning all should be ok

The Danish league only ride now and then so with careful planning all should be ok

16 Wednesdays this year with a 4 week break about 2/3rds of the way through.

I take it that those who look down their noses at "any speedway being better than no speedway" would be happy to see lesser tracks in lesser leagues close?

Try losing your track. It hurts.

Now, anyone want to do worthless comparisons of speedway to other irrelevant examples? How about United Nations? Microsoft? BMW cars? Sony?

The problem with that is that it allows promotions to blame fans for not going no matter how bad the product is and do the same when they close.

The fact is for an awful lot of fans bad speedway is not better than no speedway, because after being treated as fools, taken for granted, watching crap teams on dreadful tracks in filthy, decrepit stadiums and being subject to abuse and vicious criticism, they simply decide its not worth it any more and stop going. A significant percentage of the thousands that no longer attend fall into that category.

I went to 74 meetings at 22 tracks last season and spent a huge amount of money watching the sport, but there's one track I refuse to go to because of the way I was treated there. If they close, I won't miss them and there's no way on earth I will stomach being blamed for that.

I don't want to see any track close. The very real prospect of the loss of a track like Workington, where they put on a good show every week, is an awful prospect to contemplate. But there simply must be a duty on promotions out there to ensure that the product is as good as it can be (as you would in any business) and 'bad speedway is better than no speedway' allows them to cop out of that.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

According to Leigh Adams in his book the worst track he ever rode was his home track in Mildura, and that by mastering that track he could ride anywhere. Maybe we need a few rubbish tracks for juniors to ride and master if they ar3 going to get on.

That's the same with Mauger who also said learn to ride Brough Park and you can ride anywhere. His love for the place was seen by his usual annual private attendance when he was in the country, and by recommending riders like Mark Thorp to sign for us.

With the new rules we can get complete teams to double up , eg Leicester & Sheffield only one set of contracts for the same promotion,

Peterborough & Kings Lynn , easy team building.....