British Speedway Forum

Never miss the SYNPER, but John Leslie is a big miss.

Yes where has he disappeared to? :neutral:

I must admit when I started this Thread I thought I might hear some News from the AGM.

However - the replies so far are interesting, some amusing but I am surprised at the negativity - especially as we haven't heard anything yet.

I do tend to post mostly negatively slanted posts on this thread, some I see as tongue in cheek humorous ways of dealing with the great disappointment of seeing what the happened to UK speedway since , say the turn of the century. The way that the BSPA have presided over the overall decline of UK speedway in the last 20 years leads me to believe that the sport I have followed since the early 1950's and Ultra seriously since Ove Fundin joined Norwich.

Of course all things change and evolve but the last 20 years ( with even more money coming in via the Sky TV deal as well as reasonable crowds ) those at the BSPA who have been taking critical core decisions have entirely disregarded the ideas of terrace fans ( not just posters on here ) by "doing it their way".

Anyone taking a very good look at the sport from an external perspective would see it is close to being in terminal decline.

Input from fans is either ignored or derided and never seen as feedback. Instead of actively looking for it and implementing the best and least expensive parts of that feedback it seems that a Totally Deaf Ear is turned to the view of the customer. So they walk away or choose their meetings and gradually can't be bothered. Even the die hard following is dying ( many literally ).

For me, my black humour lets me hugely enjoy any truly effective positive changes that the AGM makes to improve UK speedway by expecting very little as history as taught me to do.

Every fan attending a UK speedway match should get a simple survey form within the first four matches of the season and then at the mid waypoint of a season and then in the last four matches. Priceless "consumer " feedback. But do the BSPA want such a thing?

• Like 5

The powers that be don't want to know what the fans think. It's their ball and they will play with it how they like!

Just hope next season turns out better than the last few as my enthusiam is going after nearly 40 years

Edited by KEITH M
  • Like 2

at the beginning of this season I thought I saw green shoots - 3 clearly designated levels and good crowds early on. What followed was the worst season in my 48 years following the sport. It simply has to be upwards from here or fear clubs will start to fold like dominoes.

I sincerely hope that if nothing else costs are controlled so that well established clubs, I'm thinking Worky, Newcastle, etc can not only survive but thrive. Yes crowds need to increase but in the meantime the hatches need to be battoned. Decisions need to be made that take into account both Poole and Buxton. We'll see.

I must admit when I started this Thread I thought I might hear some News from the AGM.

However - the replies so far are interesting, some amusing but I am surprised at the negativity - especially as we haven't heard anything yet.

So, you think they would release news on the very first day of an AGM? To say that is delusional is an understatement.

• Like 3

So, you think they would release news on the very first day of an AGM? To say that is delusional is an understatement.

They usually release it on the following Tuesday, hopefully Speedway Star will get an early statement that can be included next week.

Something will be accidentally leaked on Sunday usually as a result of a phone call or text from Tenerife to someone UK-based to set some wheels in motion. This will be followed with the usual 'ill-thought-out and incomplete' official press release on Monday!!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

After a number of years of rule changes, poor promotion and neglect all of speedways ills wont be put right in one AGM, but the BSPA can at least make a start, that`s all I hope for.

Only one person posted that they were expecting some news as the AGM got going, all the others - including myself voiced our hopes in anticipation of hearing genuinely positive things as soon as possible. Of course we knew we had to wait until near the end of the weekend ( for a leak ) or just after, but we have been waiting for at least 5 years for positive outcomes for AGMs over the years.

Only a Promoter would say the fan's are delusional in any way or is it a trend developing from Somerset?

Not really Steve - but one can live in hope.

I was hoping for a little information, that is all.

• Like 1

Not really Steve - but one can live in hope.

I was hoping for a little information, that is all.

a weather report, at least, would've been nice.

Perhaps they will be looking to establish a new track in Tenerife, plenty of volcanic shale available

Great! I'm off on holiday there soon. I'll take my programme board.

hahaha that basically means we havent a clue what to do, no one can agree, and we could extend our piss up by a week.

• Like 1