British Speedway Forum
a4poster

Tactical Substitutes Question?

Looking at the statement issued by the BSPA it states:

Promoters have also listened to fans’ feedback and have scrapped the tactical ride for double points and rolled back the years by bringing back the traditional tactical substitute when a team is six points or more behind. This applies between Heats 5-14 excluding Heat 8.

My question amounts to the the number of TS rides that can be used during a meeting? Is it limited to one or as many providing the deficit is six or more as many as the TM feels necessary?

Thanks.

Looking at the statement issued by the BSPA it states:

My question amounts to the the number of TS rides that can be used during a meeting? Is it limited to one or as many providing the deficit is six or more as many as the TM feels necessary?

Thanks.

Think it is one.(could be wrong)

Think it is one.(could be wrong)

They say it is a return to the old rule which was one tactical substitution per rider if a team was six points or more behind after heat six.

So theoretically there could be seven tactical substitutions but only one per rider.

• Like 2

They say it is a return to the old rule which was one tactical substitution per rider if a team was six points or more behind after heat six.

So theoretically there could be seven tactical substitutions but only one per rider.

Dont think that is correct.Before the Black and white double points rule,there was only a max of 2 Tac rides . Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

That's how I recall it

Dont think that is correct.Before the Black and white double points rule,there was only a max of 2 Tac rides .

If I remember you could have as many T/S as long as you were six points behind and you also had choice of gates.

You could even have a double T/S if you so wished in a particular heat.

If I remember you could have as many T/S as long as you were six points behind and you also had choice of gates.

It depended on what decade you're going back to. It changed often over time.

So no point in believing that what you recall it to have been in 19XX will be what it'll be in 2018. BSPA need to give us their new ruling.

So no point in believing that what you recall it to have been in 19XX will be what it'll be in 2018. BSPA need to give us their new ruling.

No doubt this and other things that were discussed, but not reported in the AGM statement, will be released running up to the start of the season as usual.

Yup. I remember being at Oxford once and they had Nielsen and Wigg out in heat 13. They were 6 down going into heat 12 and used a double tactical - Nielsen and Wigg. So they had them out in heats 12 and 13, got two 5-1s and won the match.

Just one ts is better than having the TR, but it doesn't bring back the skilled tactics of the old ts.

• Like 1

Gordon Pairman has already answered the question, it's once only.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=85633&view=findpost&p=3058705

To be fair one is generally a waste of time, why not scrap it altogether or allow it multiple times whilst a team remains at least 6 points behind., they have even stopped teams doing it in heat 8 which was generally the time everyone used it.

Total half hearted attempt to appease the fans.

To be fair one is generally a waste of time, why not scrap it altogether or allow it multiple times whilst a team remains at least 6 points behind., they have even stopped teams doing it in heat 8 which was generally the time everyone used it.

Total half hearted attempt to appease the fans.

One has to remember that one of the reasons it was dropped before was that 2nd strings / reserves were being pulled from races(sometimes their easiest) and they were claiming they couldn`t make it pay !! now with the riders riding for uncle Tom Cobley and all- that won`t now be a problem. stopping multiple times is purely a cost issue.

• Like 1

...was only replying to an observation made on a previous post and not making a comparison.

Yup. I remember being at Oxford once and they had Nielsen and Wigg out in heat 13. They were 6 down going into heat 12 and used a double tactical - Nielsen and Wigg. So they had them out in heats 12 and 13, got two 5-1s and won the match.

Just one ts is better than having the TR, but it doesn't bring back the skilled tactics of the old ts.

...of course to allow that to happen a Team Manager then had the opportunity to declare riders 1-5 irrespective of average...although Hans never rode as number 3 or 5 (heat 13 home scenario) so I assume that 'The Cheetahs' were operating the R/R facility on that occasion?

Edited by steve roberts

...was only replying to an observation made on a previous post and not making a comparison.

...of course to allow that to happen a Team Manager then had the opportunity to declare riders 1-5 irrespective of average...although Hans never rode as number 3 or 5 (heat 13 home scenario) so I assume that 'The Cheetahs' were operating the R/R facility on that occasion?

Could well have been. I just remember such a thing happening!

• Like 1

Could well have been. I just remember such a thing happening!

...remember 'The Cheetahs' being eight down with three/four heats remaining and winning both matches away at Wimbledon and King's Lynn during the 1984 season...great stuff! The win at King's Lynn particularly got up the nose of Lynn promoter Martin Rogers I recall!

• Like 1