British Speedway Forum
waytogo28

2017 Profit & Loss

I do wonder if you are living on the same planet at times.

Top ten programmes week ending 19th November on Sky Sports 1:

1: LIVE Arsneal v Spurs 805

2: LIVE Watford v West Ham 698

3: LIVE: England v Australia (Rugby) 574

4: LIVE Italy v Sweden 393

5: LIVE: Leeds v Middlesbrough 272

6: LIVE Republic of Ireland v Denmark 245

7: LIVE: Arsenal v Spurs Pre Match 154

8: LIVE: Grand Slam of Darts 143

9: LIVE Ireland v Fiji (Rugby) 129

10: LIVE Grand Slam of Darts 123

See a pattern?

Top Ten on Sky Sports 3.. All Live events

The highest 'Highlights' programme that can be found is European Tour Highlights with a viewing figure of 59.

Still, you know better... next time the rights are up for renewal, let Sky, BT etc know so they can have a bidding war for the 'Highlights' package.

...er yes...but wouldn't it have helped if your earlier comment had referred to same thus adding clarity to your statement? By the way I don't subscribe to SKY in any shape or form...never have.

Meanwhile I'm awaiting with interest when you get round to answering my other query when you've had a chance to do the relevant research.

Edited by steve roberts

That's what I said?

Last season they began to approach tv meetings in the correct manner, however for 95% of the previous 20 years they didn't.

I am not sure there was any difference between last season and all the years before.

Some of the stadiums were half empty last year whereas on Sky - and Berwick spring to mind here - there were occasionally large crowds helped by reduced price entry and good promotional work. In truth, I think the promotional work at Belle Vue was of more importance because it got the word out that there was a big match, it was reduced entry and it was on the box.

After all, there's no point having £10 entry if no-one knows about it.

Having said all that, I think you're absolutely right that clubs should go all guns blazing for the live matches.

...er yes...but wouldn't it have helped if your earlier comment had referred to same thus adding clarity to your statement? By the way I don't subscribe to SKY in any shape or form...never have.

Meanwhile I'm awaiting with interest when you get round to answering my other query when you've had a chance to do the relevant research.

er yes?

What you mean to say is, I apologise for inferring you were talking rubbish, when in fact it was I (Steve Roberts) who made a ridiculous post, incidentally with nothing backing it up, you know 'for clarity' and then mocked someone who pointed out it was wrong.

One thing that has always bugged me on tv coverage is that the main camera is situated in the main stand. If this was set up on the backstraight the most crowded areas of the stadium will often be in view in the action shots.

A small change that I believe would have quite a large effect on demonstrating a bit more atmosphere and therefore more attractive.

• Like 1

One thing that has always bugged me on tv coverage is that the main camera is situated in the main stand. If this was set up on the backstraight the most crowded areas of the stadium will often be in view in the action shots.

A small change that I believe would have quite a large effect on demonstrating a bit more atmosphere and therefore more attractive.

It's a good point, I suspect that is due to the start/finish line in the main though.

er yes?

What you mean to say is, I apologise for inferring you were talking rubbish, when in fact it was I (Steve Roberts) who made a ridiculous post, incidentally with nothing backing it up, you know 'for clarity' and then mocked someone who pointed out it was wrong.

...as usual you add your own spin as I wasn't, in this instance, referring to live TV broadcasts but your reference to !0% which you didn't clarify when you made your initial comment which is why I asked the question...simple really.

Edited by steve roberts

I used to enjoy the days of Screensport with its 'Match of the Week' with the meeting shown in full but with the gaps in between races edited out.

We couldn't afford to do it live ;-)

Screensport was good for its time, but that way is too out of date now I think. People want live sport.

Budget was £1,000 an hour. Times really have moved on.

• Like 1

We couldn't afford to do it live ;-)

I used to enjoy the weekly roundup in the studio (I think Phil Collins was a guest?)

• Like 1

I used to enjoy the weekly roundup in the studio (I think Phil Collins was a guest?)

Yes he was one of the early ones and great company. The first show featured Chris Morton. The studios were in Knutsford so we tended to feature riders racing at Belle Vue that evening, sometimes Stoke or Cradley.

Had to do the whole thing off the top of my head since the station didn't have autocue.....

• Like 1

Yes he was one of the early ones and great company. The first show featured Chris Morton. The studios were in Knutsford so we tended to feature riders racing at Belle Vue that evening, sometimes Stoke or Cradley.

Had to do the whole thing off the top of my head since the station didn't have autocue.....

Are you "Rob McCaffery" or "Rob McCaffrey"? The latter used to be on Sky Sports, according to wikipedia

I'm sure that is right but based on what I saw at Rye House it is achieved by an endless downward spiral of spending as little as possible on facilities, the track and riders. The spectator experience gets worse and worse each year until you are left with just the hardcore supporters who will put up with anything - but who have a growing sense that they are being taken for mugs.

Yes I recall the time we signed Jason Doyle only to release him when Steve Boxall was fit.

Len always said that height not always be challenging for honours but it was his priority to make sure Speedway continued every year he was in charge.

In light of this I find some comments on here saying we must have this or that rider and we are dumbing down the league somewhat short sighted.

What amazes me is, all these clubs that are suffering big financial losses, still come to the tapes the following season. The promoters must have very deep pockets or creative accountants.

What amazes me is, all these clubs that are suffering big financial losses, still come to the tapes the following season. The promoters must have very deep pockets or creative accountants.

Ive heard that speedway clubs is where creative accountants are sent to serve their apprenticeship.
  • Like 2

I used to watch the programme before dashing off to Swindon and looked forward to Sunday's 'Match of the Week' when nothing else very much was going on!

Living in Oxford we were one of the first to be connected to cable via Redifussion (Swindon was another if I recall) and had access to four channels if I remember.

Are you "Rob McCaffery" or "Rob McCaffrey"? The latter used to be on Sky Sports, according to wikipedia

I am as I am spelt, I think I can still spell my name, Rob McCaffery, ex-ScreenSport, KM Video, occasional Speedway Mail and Backtrack contributor and former jobbing announcer, mainly Rye House and paying supporter for 43 out of 46 years, . The other guy came on the scene just as I left TV. My mother in Cheshire got a phone call once from a friend congratulating her that I'd got a job on BBC Radio Merseyside. It wasn't me. He went on to work for Granada, then Sky before heading off to the Middle East. I'm unsure if he spells his name ery or rey. Mine gets constantly misspelt. You get used to it.

I used to watch the programme before dashing off to Swindon and looked forward to Sunday's 'Match of the Week' when nothing else very much was going on!

Living in Oxford we were one of the first to be connected to cable via Redifussion (Swindon was another if I recall) and had access to four channels if I remember.

Many thanks Steve. It was a long time ago. Yes, we relied on Rediffusion until the main multichannel cable networks were built. Sadly it took so long for the income to flow that I had to get out, and Screen Sport ended up being taken over by Eurosport.

As I mentioned elsewhere we were criticised for being a threat to Canterbury Speedway. As I suspected, most would be like you, watch it at 5 then head off to the track. Well, that was the hope that we could persuade people to get out and see the sport for themselves. This is why it depresses me to see people claiming that TV stops people going to speedway, having devoted a lot of time and money to use TV to sell the sport and achieve exactly the opposite. I've had other media involvement in local radio and with the BBC outside the sport so do keep a very close eye on the industry, and the sport's involvement with it, hence my contributions on the subject here.

Anyway, this is about speedway finance, not a minor attempted former helper of the sport. ;-)

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 1