British Speedway Forum
Mark

World Championship Pairs

7 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE perceived wisdom at the NSS yesterday before the start was that Rossiter should give both Cook and Lambert an outing in GB's first two appearances and proceed with who ever fared better. Which he did. Woffinden is obviously energised by the new set-up (though not all of it) and also with the Final on his home Polish track could lead GB to a medal at least. He is as good as any other rider there  and if Lambert can pick up a few points it is a feasible result. 5-1s will be hard to come by although the Danes and Germans look vulnerable especially if Lindback rides to the level that we know he can achieve. 

I can see Poland,Sweden and Russia getting 5-1’s against those two and maybe 1 or other team.The main thing is not to drop points against those.Tbh I don’t see us getting a medal,but the positive is I do see us improving over the next few years whereas some of the teams will drop off.So we do look to have a bright future if Bewley and another come along

• Like 1

Seemed harsh on Cook to be dropped after one ride even if he was carrying a warning.

24 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I can see Poland,Sweden and Russia getting 5-1’s against those two and maybe 1 or other team.The main thing is not to drop points against those.Tbh I don’t see us getting a medal,but the positive is I do see us improving over the next few years whereas some of the teams will drop off.So we do look to have a bright future if Bewley and another come along

Write off the Danes as no hopers at your peril- both Bjerre and MJJ are more than capable of jumping out the start and if so are fast enough to stay there.

Before the meeting there were lots of videos on social media of Team GB doing excerises in their kevlars, some filmed by the Lambert crew. Each of these videos mainly featured Lambert and Woffinden going through the different routines but only once showed Cook with them doing a bit of skipping. 

One be video showed Tai and Robert working out and the camera walked around the pits and into the pits where Team GB had their bikes and Cook was standing with his bikes and crew. Did they feel he wasn't really joining in and possibly not pumped up to do anything ?

Overall with Tai helping Robert home in his first two rides there was little choice but to stick with the reserve and bringing Cook in against Australia or Sweden would have been a big gamble and had Cook failed to score it would have left him as a spectator for the rest of the tournament which he may be any way now. 

With everything going down down to the final race on Saturday, it may favour Sweden and GB with Lindgren and Woffinden capable of a heat win and their partner grabbing a third which Lindback and Lambert are capable of doing. 

It's not all over if a rider gets excluded for a tapes infringement. 

It's all about if the rider's are dedicated enough for their country. 

All that you have to do is risk being knocked off or ride someone to the fence, in the hope they're excluded and force a rerun with just 2 rider's. 

You can guarantee the Poles will push it, as would Lindgren for Sweden. 

Can GB be switched on to pull of a stunt??

We'll find out on Saturday 

37 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

COULDN'T possibly say:o

That will be Rosco. :D

Edited by Mark
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Write off the Danes as no hopers at your peril- both Bjerre and MJJ are more than capable of jumping out the start and if so are fast enough to stay there.

I don’t write them off.Just think they are vulnerable as Phil said,but not only to Sweden if Lindbäck is on fire.We will see over the 2 meetings if anyone gets a5-1 against them or not

What kind of score do people think Cook would have got had he been left it. Aside from Milik and Lindback if Cook isn’t beating the others then he won’t get a sniff of even the semi final on Monday. 

Lindback had only been defeated by the world champion leading up to his last ride and his subsequent last place was more down to the fact they had already secured first place so he was happy to leave the squabbles to Woffy and Freddie. Handed us some much needed points. 

Edited by ouch

1 hour ago, Trackrat said:

Can't understand why this wasn't held at Poole the Manchester United of speedway:blink:

You mean LiverpoolFootballClub TM surely?

"This is our year" "We are famous" etc etc etc...

:D

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2018 at 7:35 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

HAD huge respect for Tony Millard, a long time friend, but his gaffs were legendary, as has been the case with many high profile commentators, including Murray Walker over the years. 

Yes Tony was very prone to gaffes, which is why it was such a relief to see Nigel taking over. 

I've been trying to offer constructive criticism after Saturday's serious error, despite the efforts of some to try to derail it into a playground squabble. There is clearly a need for someone to be monitoring commentary for factual errors and to intervene on talkback when they occur. Nigel and Kelvin are delivering 'high intensity' commentary which actually involves a lot of effort and it's easy to neglect factual details. It needed someone to say "No, heat 21 IS relevant, Ukraine can be caught, check the scores" and a correction could have been made at the time without the embarrassment.

Likewise when an incorrect scorechart was on screen after heat 14 on Tuesday someone just needed to tell graphics and the commentators that there was a problem. Surely somewhere in the budget there's room for such support for the commentary team? 

I know the British League coverage is on a tight budget but surely BSI can be persuaded that their expensive SGP/SON product needs 'protection' from avoidable errors. 

No, I am NOT looking for a job ;).

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

Didn't see the first round in Germany but watched last nights SON at Belle Vue. I didn't think the formula was that bad although not sure about the last 2 knock out races. For all Rosco's knockers I thought he got the selection decisions right last night. It also showed on a good track that the 3 minnows had plenty to offer. The crowd level may be an issue going forward thou, not sure how BSI can run on those figures, and at one of their major markets in the UK. Kings Lynn in the World cup used to attract a lot more. Going forward, GB have a chance, especially with Woffinden's form, if he can drag Lambert along who knows, still make the Poles the favourites. Feel any new fans would be a bit confused by Pearson tagging Cook and Lambert in the British Final, not withstanding our top scorer last night won't be.

53 minutes ago, New Science said:

Feel any new fans would be a bit confused by Pearson tagging Cook and Lambert in the British Final, not withstanding our top scorer last night won't be.

They wouldn't be in the slightest, just a way for you to have a little dig...

13 hours ago, Grachan said:

The point is that Milik used bad tactics. Once he was well in the lead he should have looked round, seen his partner at the back, and slowed down to try and get him through to third - even if it meant sacrificing the lead himself. Not only would it have been better for the Czechs but it would have made for a fascinating race.

Is the NSS the kind of track you can slow down a race? Far too many lines available I would think

12 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Is the NSS the kind of track you can slow down a race? Far too many lines available I would think

TRUE

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

COULDN'T possibly say:o

So why did you say anything, Philip?

Once again it's a case of "I know something but I'm not telling!"

Keep it shut if you haven't got anything to say in full

• Like 5