British Speedway Forum
Greg

Kings Lynn 2019

It was reported after the AGM that the priority for Premiership clubs was for all of them to operate within their own sensible budget and to at least have a 'break-even' budget ie not paying out 'silly' money to too many top riders - even assuming there were several that wanted to ride UK?!

6 hours ago, therefused said:

Team looks piss poor in my opinion. 

Think yourself lucky you have got a team to support. Poor or not it's better than no team at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

I would think you are right re the crowd levels at the three tracks..

I reckon Buster will have factored it in too when putting his plans for the three together..

Posh and Ippo up by a collective 300 - 400 or so and KL level or slightly down...

Net result? A nice plus....

My team get around 1200 - 1400 and should they not do as well as previous years will still get 1100 or so as a minimum I would say...

The sport is very much down to its die hard following at most tracks, if not all, so I would think promoters have some confidence in putting together a team knowing they won't drop too many fans during the season.

Likewise, they also know that putting together a 'winning team' often won't generate enough extra fans to pay for the increased points money getting paid out..

I am sure Buster won't get his fingers burnt...

Posh: whats the crowd levels of Peterborough United Football Club got to do with the Peterborough Panthers Speedway Team

14 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

You mention the Lynn's " die hard" fans, and your right, but how long will they stick around for. I'm not sure if Buster hasn't got something up his sleeve for later in the season.

14 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I know all he probably thinks about is the 3 together as you say, the figures need to add up at the end of the season. But at a cost to the Lynn team / fans I fear. Hope i'm wrong.

It seems to have been a downward spiral or at least a slide for KLS since Buster was "elevated" ( or handed the poisoned chalice ) to lead the BSPA. That had long been his dream to revolutionise UK speedway but as ever these things look so much easier when you are standing on the sidelines. I too feel that the Stars will lose support this year but I hope that it doesn't all end in tears. The whole UK sport could go belly up if all tracks lose another 10% of the fanbase.

I just want to see better racing at the AFA and if that was achieved by the promotion, they could easily benefit at the turnstiles.

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

It seems to have been a downward spiral or at least a slide for KLS since Buster was "elevated" ( or handed the poisoned chalice ) to lead the BSPA. That had long been his dream to revolutionise UK speedway but as ever these things look so much easier when you are standing on the sidelines. I too feel that the Stars will lose support this year but I hope that it doesn't all end in tears. The whole UK sport could go belly up if all tracks lose another 10% of the fanbase.

I just want to see better racing at the AFA and if that was achieved by the promotion, they could easily benefit at the turnstiles.

I, too, want to see at least 8 passes per race but you only ever see this once in a blue moon EVER. On the other hand I'll be happy to support the Stars giving 100% for our club and themselves, giving us wins and prolonging our season (playoffs).  That will be their mentality and they will have worked hard to be the best gater they can, to find the best set ups to be fast round the tracks. 

I have said for years that the racing needs to be better than it used to be to bring the punters back BUT it's so much easier said than done, bikes have changed (for the worse I think), there's not the money in the sport like years ago (when promoters were rolling in it they could potentially ask their riders to perform for the crowd, they had plenty of money to buy the best shale etc etc). I guess the fact that all the best riders in the world don't want to race here any more makes a difference. 

So we have what we have and what we have is a great team manager who gets the best out of his team and a team that give their best for their team and so for us as Stars fans, it's a winning game and that's enough for me....

As a comparison with Norwich City football, their players don't mess about on the pitch doing all the fancy footy tricks for the fans they do what they have to do to win against their opponents, their fans support them be it crap, boring football or a 5-4 last minute win cos it's all about winning and going up a league, we ought to have that same mentality. 

1 hour ago, Trees said:

I, too, want to see at least 8 passes per race but you only ever see this once in a blue moon EVER. On the other hand I'll be happy to support the Stars giving 100% for our club and themselves, giving us wins and prolonging our season (playoffs).  That will be their mentality and they will have worked hard to be the best gater they can, to find the best set ups to be fast round the tracks. 

I have said for years that the racing needs to be better than it used to be to bring the punters back BUT it's so much easier said than done, bikes have changed (for the worse I think), there's not the money in the sport like years ago (when promoters were rolling in it they could potentially ask their riders to perform for the crowd, they had plenty of money to buy the best shale etc etc). I guess the fact that all the best riders in the world don't want to race here any more makes a difference. 

So we have what we have and what we have is a great team manager who gets the best out of his team and a team that give their best for their team and so for us as Stars fans, it's a winning game and that's enough for me....

As a comparison with Norwich City football, their players don't mess about on the pitch doing all the fancy footy tricks for the fans they do what they have to do to win against their opponents, their fans support them be it crap, boring football or a 5-4 last minute win cos it's all about winning and going up a league, we ought to have that same mentality. 

Buster could do with another two thousand customers like you he really could . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Glad to see you admit racing isn't great at the AFA. 

It's certainly not right and to expect fans to just except gate and go though. The sport is going through a tough time so the absolute most important thing for a promoter to do is put on a track that doesn't suit gating.

With the team put together the track needs to be adaptive with racers like Lambert, Riss, Jorgensen and MPT. Gate and go doesn't suit the side that's been put together.

It's awful to think that Speedway fans are now happy to just see a team win with gate and go. What is the point of even watching Speedway if that's the expectation?? 

7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's certainly not right and to expect fans to just except gate and go though. The sport is going through a tough time so the absolute most important thing for a promoter to do is put on a track that doesn't suit gating.

With the team put together the track needs to be adaptive with racers like Lambert, Riss, Jorgensen and MPT. Gate and go doesn't suit the side that's been put together.

It's awful to think that Speedway fans are now happy to just see a team win with gate and go. What is the point of even watching Speedway if that's the expectation?? 

I'm 100% sure they will do the track to suit the majority of our racers this year, it's always gripper than probs any other track in the UK because of the clay content. We know they are RACERS so we should be in for a good year of speedway, you can't deny that :D

UP THE STARS WOOOOOOO 

13 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

It's not all gate and go Mr Pessimist, come off it!! But even if it is a bloody gate and go race, as long as we are on a winner that should be equally important?? 

Two of our guys gating and team racing for a 5-1 is just as impressive :)? Or team riding to stop the last place rider getting through after someone like Doyle has gated and gone? 

Edited by Trees

6 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I cant quite get my head around that people are prepared to watch crap racing and be happy as long as they win.At Swindon my biggest gripe over the last five years or longer is  that the entertainment element has been generally poor.The tinkering of rules and averages (ect) out weigh the responsibility of putting on a good show and making fans feel they have had a good evening.Some weeks i have gone home and thought to myself god i really enjoyed that other weeks i could not wait to get home.For me the ENTERTAINMENT aspect is the most important thing without that what have you got.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

I cant quite get my head around that people are prepared to watch crap racing and be happy as long as they win.At Swindon my biggest gripe over the last five years or longer is  that the entertainment element has been generally poor.The tinkering of rules and averages (ect) out weigh the responsibility of putting on a good show and making fans feel they have had a good evening.Some weeks i have gone home and thought to myself god i really enjoyed that other weeks i could not wait to get home.For me the ENTERTAINMENT aspect is the most important thing without that what have you got.

You have to go to speedway with the mind set that you're gonna have a good night, yes the promotion and riders certainly have to do their bit, if you're not happy with the show, tell your promoter what you want to see??? 

7 minutes ago, Trees said:

You have to go to speedway with the mind set that you're gonna have a good night, yes the promotion and riders certainly have to do their bit, if you're not happy with the show, tell your promoter what you want to see??? 

That is what should happen but certain promoters do not listen.  If the promoter ignores the fans then the fans need to get together and not turn up for one meeting then when the promoter gets hit in the pocket they might change what is happening.

A large proportion of speedway fans all over the UK (world?) have always been happy to see gate and go speedway with a win at the end. Don’t think it’s ever been much different to be honest. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Trees said:

The reality is some of the fans are pretty fickle and winning is everything there are a percentage of fans now who will just pick and choose there meetings.