Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waco

IOW handicap challenge Thursday 15 Aug

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

No Wood, Verge or Wirtzfield In the field ?.  But a mixed bag of abilities should provide plenty of overtaking tonight at the IOW,,Hope all the riders have a good safe meeting...

Edited by waco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Superb meeting :approve: and a terrific advert for both handicapping and Isle of Wight Speedway. 

Some brilliant racing, capped by a stunning 6 rider final in which the massively impressive Joe Lawlor came through the pack to win.

Throw in a top class track ( no blue line, no dust and racing lines) the wonderful sight of youngsters enjoying themselves hugely and even having races of their own and it was a top night.

Makes me think that Speedway might just have a chance after all.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was sorry to miss this evening at Smallbrook after my visit last week but the rail/ferry tickets were too costly for me. I have got the tickets for next Tuesday when Belle Vue are on the Island. Thanks for your texts to the Updates site which at least meant I was able to follow most of the meeting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big buzz from the Island last night could be heard well across the country. Reports i have heard say that the line up, riders & track all delivered to produce an excellent night of entertainment.  Virtually every race not decided until the final lap with plenty of passing and re-passing. Certainly huge merits for these types of meeting and the pure entertainment value they bring although it does need a racers track to make it work so not every club could do this as successfully.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By all accounts a cracking good nights racing..Other promoters should take note that when you create a more level playing field with riders of all abilities the level of entertainment for the fans goes way up and can only be good for the future of speedway in this country .Once again well done the IOW promotion.........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, waco said:

By all accounts a cracking good nights racing..Other promoters should take note that when you create a more level playing field with riders of all abilities the level of entertainment for the fans goes way up and can only be good for the future of speedway in this country .Once again well done the IOW promotion.........

Ive always been an advocate of closer ability riders is what you need to create the best racing but by adding a very simple handicap to the format you create racing where reserve level riders can compete with top heat leaders and prove that often the difference between riders is often only a small amount of gating technique / reactions and very marginal higher speeds over 4 laps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have wondered how handicaps effect rider payments i can only assume that all riders are on a fixed garrantee according to ability for the meeting rather than points money...? Barry Bishop would know but is he allowed to say...???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Big buzz from the Island last night could be heard well across the country. Reports i have heard say that the line up, riders & track all delivered to produce an excellent night of entertainment.  Virtually every race not decided until the final lap with plenty of passing and re-passing. Certainly huge merits for these types of meeting and the pure entertainment value they bring although it does need a racers track to make it work so not every club could do this as successfully.

The total opposite of what i saw at King's Lynn last night. 15 heats of mostly processional racing on a one line track. The island is light years away from the Norfolk Arena. Until every promoter sings from the same hymn sheet, i can't see speedway surviving in its current format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waco said:

 I have wondered how handicaps effect rider payments i can only assume that all riders are on a fixed garrantee according to ability for the meeting rather than points money...? Barry Bishop would know but is he allowed to say...???

no rider should ever receive any type of fixed guarnatted payment - full stop in my view.

Riders pay was exactly the same as normal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waco said:

By all accounts a cracking good nights racing..Other promoters should take note that when you create a more level playing field with riders of all abilities the level of entertainment for the fans goes way up and can only be good for the future of speedway in this country .Once again well done the IOW promotion.........

it was a brilliant meeting all round... racing, mascots, kids, track, atmosphere, attitude of riders....  I loved it.

I totally agree making a level playing field produces the best racing and worked well last night and also the 2v meeting. #thefuture

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The total opposite of what i saw at King's Lynn last night. 15 heats of mostly processional racing on a one line track. The island is light years away from the Norfolk Arena. Until every promoter sings from the same hymn sheet, i can't see speedway surviving in its current format.

What has happened to the KL track? Not been for a few years but has generally produced good racing in the past.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that information Barry ,it clears that up for everyone..Obviously it gives the lesser lights a chance to earn more than they might normally do,due to the advantage they receive at the start line,And that could be a good thing to help with the considerable cost of running a speedway bike...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, barrybishop said:

it was a brilliant meeting all round... racing, mascots, kids, track, atmosphere, attitude of riders....  I loved it.

I totally agree making a level playing field produces the best racing and worked well last night and also the 2v meeting. #thefuture

It was my first visit to the Island and a good overall experience. Its a clean tidy stadium, that serves real ale (result). Racing was of a good standard, passing in all races created by the format. It did seam a little unfair that if no one was off 15m, the riders off 30m could move forward as surely the point of them being off 30m was they were the best riders in the field. The final was a cracker with a Leicester 1-2-3 and a Leicestershire 1-4. Well done my butcher!

My only gripe is that smoking is allowed at the end of the stand we chose to sit as I thought this was not allowed in any sports stadium that had a roof....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, W9 Lion said:

It was my first visit to the Island and a good overall experience. Its a clean tidy stadium, that serves real ale (result). Racing was of a good standard, passing in all races created by the format. It did seam a little unfair that if no one was off 15m, the riders off 30m could move forward as surely the point of them being off 30m was they were the best riders in the field. The final was a cracker with a Leicester 1-2-3 and a Leicestershire 1-4. Well done my butcher!

My only gripe is that smoking is allowed at the end of the stand we chose to sit as I thought this was not allowed in any sports stadium that had a roof....

Hi,

Smoking is not allowed at all in the stands and if that happens again please speak to a steward. Our smoking policy is (or should be) completely visible across the stadium and also it is announced after the parade over the pa system. But I will keep a close eye on this for our last two meetings and see if it continues.

Regards the rider start positions - it was agreed by all that in the case of 15m being empty riders would move forward. We can look at this for future meetings although I dont believe it affected the meeting in any way.

Many thanks

Barry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the format I thought it was excellent.  It's a shame that supports in the UK dont support individual meetings. It was an excellent nights entertainment and a credit to the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy