British Speedway Forum
Rob B

Why speedway is failing

Absolutely ridiculous have a rider riding for multi teams. At this moment in time it is clear that there are a) too many teams or b) not enough riders. It’s a complete farce to have a rider riding for multiple teams in the same week.  For sure there may be instances when an injury means a rider stands in for another, but it should be very short term, and certainly not one particular riding for multiple times in a week.  Doesn’t look like it will be sorted this side of the total collapse of British speedway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Absolutely ridiculous have a rider riding for multi teams. At this moment in time it is clear that there are a) too many teams or b) not enough riders. It’s a complete farce to have a rider riding for multiple teams in the same week.  For sure there may be instances when an injury means a rider stands in for another, but it should be very short term, and certainly not one particular riding for multiple times in a week.  Doesn’t look like it will be sorted this side of the total collapse of British speedway.

What team do you support OveFundinFan?

4 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

So a rider racing for a team in England, Denmark, Sweden and Poland is wrong? This year aside, haven't riders been doing that for years?

5 hours ago, Trees said:

So a rider racing for a team in England, Denmark, Sweden and Poland is wrong? This year aside, haven't riders been doing that for years?

With all due respect, isn’t this thread about the failing of British Speedway? If a rider goes with international teams as well as UK that’s fine with me.

15 hours ago, Trees said:

Instead my team race on our race night for my team, all I ask is 100% to my team on that night....... I like to see how they get on for other teams but all I really care about is what they do for Lynn :)

Is Speedway about the Team or the Riders? or both? Would you be happy if you didn't know the identity of a rider in the race... Why limit a rider from riding for another team to matches? How about a rider can switch teams mid meeting just as long as they're wearing your teams race jacket?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, iainb said:

Is Speedway about the Team or the Riders? or both? Would you be happy if you didn't know the identity of a rider in the race... Why limit a rider from riding for another team to matches? How about a rider can switch teams mid meeting just as long as they're wearing your teams race jacket?

Could it really get to that ridiculous situation in British speedway?   Probably. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Could it really get to that ridiculous situation in British speedway?   Probably. :rolleyes:

Just what I was thinking as I was typing it out ;)

42 minutes ago, iainb said:

This has kind of happened already at double header meetings where a rider has appeared for both his own team & then guested for the other visiting team in match 2. Also don't forget the ko cup final a few years ago where Scott Nicholls rode for both Ipswich & Sheffield.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, iainb said:

Perfectly feasible, six riders riding as pairs, for home and away teams. They only need to change helmet colours. The promoters could save eight riders travelling costs

I’m surprised the 4 team events seem to have lost favour back in the day there was always these in the calendar at most tracks.

Rayleigh Romford Canterbury and Eastbourne drew big crowds and lots of rivalry - all gone now of course.

You get a full meeting of racing matching riders of similar abilities.

Might they be used to reduce costs and rider availability becomes even more acute especially at the Premier league level.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GWC said:

I’m surprised the 4 team events seem to have lost favour back in the day there was always these in the calendar at most tracks.

Rayleigh Romford Canterbury and Eastbourne drew big crowds and lots of rivalry - all gone now of course.

You get a full meeting of racing matching riders of similar abilities.

Might they be used to reduce costs and rider availability becomes even more acute especially at the Premier league level.

How can four team events save costs and rider availability when you are using more riders? That's why the 4TT was dropped in the first place.

3 minutes ago, topsoil said:

How can four team events save costs and rider availability when you are using more riders? That's why the 4TT was dropped in the first place.

I think he is stating the fact that they were local derby’s and attracted decent attendances,just as the old National League regional fixtures did.There again that was the days when most Clubs had decent attendances.

Edited by Fromafar

8 hours ago, iainb said:

You say that but with team suits many fans find it very hard to know one rider from another, to a new fan it's probs all about the team colours so it could happen and some fans would be none the wiser and they wouldn't bat an eyelid!  The promoters could really produce a show ;)   For us old timers ..... ermmmmmm

9 hours ago, iainb said:

Two Swindon riders were going to swap sides at "Half Time" of the Div One Play Off Final a few seasons ago..

Swindon hadn't qualified for the final either..... :D

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2021 at 7:59 PM, Trees said:

It's a VERY dangerous sport, what do you suggest? Using juniors?  Fans would 100% NOT BE HAPPY with that!

There are plenty of riders who have the equipment to race and I'd be happy to watch UK riders cut their teeth. Riders have to start somewhere. I suppose after you've parted with your hard earned dosh you might feel used.