British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Extortionate Admission Prices

14 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

I've just been reading Birmingham's statement from this morning. I really feel for the Brummies owners and hope things turn around but their statement has three points which I think relate to what's going wrong. 

Firstly - Kent are visiting with the legendary Scott Nicholls. Is that meant as I've got to go next next week because I get to see Scotty Nicholls ride? No disrespect to Scott but I saw him ride 20 years ago when he was at his prime. If it was Tai Woffinden or Bartosz Smarzlik in town then maybe yeah - I'd go. 

Secondly - Fan can now pay on the gate so there's no excuses from here not to come - Goes back to my point of you can't just open the gate anymore and take your customers for granted. 

Thirdly - One last chance for the people of Birmingham to show us they want speedway - I want to have a pub in my village but if they served flat beer and crap food I wouldn't bother going.   

Probably expensive flat beer too. I went to Birmingham 2 seasons ago. As I've said before never again I was treated like like a vagrant the last time I was there mostly due to the stadium management but you can't treat you paying public this way. I drove a good distance with my wife who was not impressed either. I just don't understand it.

13 hours ago, mikebv said:

Truly wasting your time my friend...

This feedback could be replicated ten thousand (at least) fold...

No one is listening

"I need to find a guest as my rider is injured for my team but not his other one"..

"Who rides my track well and I can use that 5% above the average of my injured rider the best?"

Utter. Utter. Bollocks..

But seems to make sense to those who run the sport.. .

"Roll up. Roll up. Form and orderly queue and give us your money"..

"You should be f***ing grateful us promoters do this"...:D

Couldn't agree more. Promoters are killing speedway keeping to a hierarchical  model of management that failed Britain in the 1970's and they will not listen. Something will rise from the ashes but not sure what.

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

A Speedway promoter reacting to feedback...?

And taking it as constructive comment, and not defensively? 

And using it to improve his operation rather than decide "I am right' and ignore the feedback?

Are you sure you are cut out for this Barry? :D

well start cam in the original position would have worked this week as we had a stonking crowd.....   :) along with...

27 multi discipline races including a new format of 6 x 15m handicap races, and 3 x nominated races giving the last place team first options

A little more track grading than we would have normally liked…

But we also had the balloon man, sweet stall, sack races for kids, whistles, smoke, great food, rip roaring crowd, stadium on point, welcoming staff, pits access, great team kit, picnics, clean bathrooms, name boards, filming, interviews, rider interaction, wheelies, flag laps, laughter, smiles, smiles and smiles and that all equates to a super show of fun time family speedway.

• Like 3

While on the topic of value for money..... he is Bob Coles feedback from yesterday.

With 28 races last night, (Barry Bishop, you forgot the extra unprogrammed pee wee race)!, it really was a full fun filled night. Something for everyone.
Some excellent racing, plenty of passing, and some very keen youngsters giving their all. Brilliant to see James Wright there with his son. Once up to speed, his lad tried wringing the neck off the bike to go faster! He obviously enjoyed himself even though he didnt win a race.
Loved the sound of the uprights, completely different to the laydowns. Also to watch and listen to the JAP going around after the meeting. 'Now thats what I call music', well to my ears anyway!
The Stadium was picture perfect in the sunshine, although it did rain for a few minutes later on. Enjoyed the best burger Ive tasted anywhere this year. Take a bow the volunteers in the Retreat. Thank you.
A couple of minor issues. I couldnt hear the names of the changes in the Pee Wee races. I know one was James Wrights son, but didnt get the name of the girl at No.1. Also, I didnt hear a word before the meeting when Barry addressed the crowd. I know roughly what would have been said, as he says similar things at every meeting.
Best team won on the night. Well done Steve Piper on your first ever meeting in charge. Not that you would have know his team won,I must have heard it a dozen times or more on the drive home! Met loads of people before, during and after the meeting. A smashing night out at the speedway.
Was it value for money? You had better believe it was.
Happy to stand side by side with Barry Bishop and Martin Widman in their endeavours to give fans real value for money.  They are doing it right now. Long may that continue.

NOTE we have already fix the sound problem... as in Barry cannot hold a microphone properly :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

Given how many times he guests, Scott will be coming to a track near absolutely everyone sometime soon I am sure.. :D

In fact you can see him 14 miles down the road 2 nights earlier:rofl:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, barrybishop said:

well start cam in the original position would have worked this week as we had a stonking crowd.....   :) along with...

27 multi discipline races including a new format of 6 x 15m handicap races, and 3 x nominated races giving the last place team first options

But we also had the balloon man, sweet stall, sack races for kids, whistles, smoke, great food, rip roaring crowd, stadium on point, welcoming staff, pits access, great team kit, picnics, clean bathrooms, name boards, filming, interviews, rider interaction, wheelies, flag laps, laughter, smiles, smiles and smiles and that all equates to a super show of fun time family speedway.

It will never catch on....

All that entertainment malarkey...  :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Have you ever thought of doing some kind of Facebook Live broadcast? Not necessarily of any racing but behind the scenes, rider/manager interviews, maybe replays of incidents etc. I'm sure if you went to the local FE College there would be a number of media study students that would jump at the chance of producing something for you... just a thought, you may already be doing it.

Edited by iainb

4 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

Couldn't agree more. Promoters are killing speedway keeping to a hierarchical  model of management that failed Britain in the 1970's and they will not listen. Something will rise from the ashes but not sure what.

And what they fail to grasp is that the '70's model' didn't bring the many tens of thousands into the stadiums anyway.... 

What did that was watching truly world class riders on ITV on Saturday afternoons when the choice of viewing was pretty much Grandstand or World Of Sport (and Open University Maths on BBC2...:D)..

Watching the best in the world ride in 'proper competitions' sponsored by nationally renowned companies, who put up BIG prizes, (which meant no one ducked out on the day with sick notes written by Dr's Zhivago and Dolittle),  would have enthused thousands to watch riders who were very much "household names" amongst the wider sport watching public.. 

The sport still runs the same outdated operating model today, but nowadays without that "world class advert" on terrestrial TV to feed off the back of...

And of course you also now have the internet which splashes all the nonsense out there for everyone to see well before meeting time, which then means fans can avoid paying to watch some of the farces that are allowed to pervade. 

In the 70's you were already in, and money banked, before you found out the top star was missing...

Oh how the current promoters must be so envious of their 70's counterparts.. :D

13 minutes ago, iainb said:

Have you ever thought of doing some kind of Facebook Live broadcast? Not necessarily of any racing but behind the scenes, rider/manager interviews, maybe replays of incidents etc. I'm sure if you went to the local FE College there would be a number of media study students that would jump at the chance of producing something for you... just a thought, you may already be doing it.

Hi, we do it every week... have a look on our FB pages... they go down really well. We have done "secret bike look-ins", sponsors review, staff review, meet the mascot all that kind of thing. People like them a lot and it just builds the meeting up a bit more.

We could probably do more rider and management coversations and I will take that away although we alway do rider and management interviews after every meeting.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iainb said:

How many times have we seen statements like this from clubs. If the bloke in charge can only come up with Scott Nicholls is coming to town as the only selling point there's no chance. I went to the Redcar match the other week after they restarted and the track was awful billowing large clouds of dust, the vantage points for a decent view are almost non existent unless you go behind the glass in the restaurant. It's been shown numerous times over the years that sadly Birmingham just isn't a Speedway city. As much as it pains me to say it they should probably just cut their losses and shut up shop and maybe look at opening up somewhere else.

Sadly I think you may be right there. I know Birmingham did pretty well in the 70's come early 80's at the old Ladbroke Stadium (now the one stop) but that was way before my time. The sport failed miserably in 85/86 when they raced at the Wheels Centre. I've been to Perry Barr a couple of times since the Brummies re-opened in 2007. The first couple of occasions had some good racing. I watched half a meeting from inside behind the glass and that was a boring experience. The last occasion was probably around 2012 and the racing was a dull affair and lots of dust. On each occasion I've been there I've never seen big crowds, only the die-hards and a few away fans. 

In the old days if promoters were not getting the crowds they would up sticks and move the operation to another track. Oxford could be an option??  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Hopefully this week we will have revised the camera angle because the start cam points basically to the least popular 4th bend stand. I can assure you our crowds have been up this year and last night we were really busy. Thanks so much for the feedback, reading this and plus my own viewing of it, made us realise we needed to change the position of start-cam. Andy H from Speedway Portal is amazing at what he does.. so looking forward to the next lot of film. Thanks again

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Barry. I did hesitate before making the original posting as it seemed a bit negative but I am glad that you feel you are getting good crowds and long may you continue to do so.

• Like 2

I remember going to the SON at the NSS and being given a free upgrade from standing on the first turn, (under the TV gantry showing the start and first straight action), to the seats on the 3rd and 4th turns. (The ones most in view over the next 3 hours of coverage)..

They also threw in some Union Jack's flags to wave too..

No one noticed on the TV that our original area wasnt full as it was barely shown and the whole meeting came across as colourful, vibrant, full and atmospheric with every start being done in front of "a full stadium" as a back drop..

Conversely when the Aces are on, the camera most used at the start line shows rows and rows of empty seats in a usually half to two thirds full grandstand..

I know some will be season ticket holders but surely for one night they could move them and put the 1000 or so sat in the grandstand together. Then cover up the empty seats either side with advertising covers..

Or simply leave the ST holders where they are and just do 'free upgrades" for those who have purchased standing in the south stand...

You could then put anyone left in the south stand together in the middle and again put up some big adverts to block out the spaces either side...

Plenty of shots of a "big crowd" stood together and plenty of advertising for sponsors too..

It is really the little things that dont cost any more to do that can, and often do, make all the difference..

The IOW know that shots of a full section of stadium sells their business to "maybe visitors" far better than an FB page showing a sparsely visited section..

Those in the restaurant business put all their early customers by the window for a reason, and it isnt in case there is a fire that they will get out quicker...!!

Just spent the last hour thinking how British speedway could re-attract the punters and provide value for money - sorry to waffle on...

1. Scrap doubling up once and for all. If there's not enough riders to fill both leagues then combine the two leagues into one. All we see now is the same riders racing each other all of the time just in different race jackets depending on what night of the week it is. If a football player turned out for Chelsea on Saturday and then Millwall on Wednesday it would be called a joke!

2. Bring back the aggregate bonus point. This current point system is stupid and confusing. The old bonus point gave a meeting something to race for even if a team was losing on the night and sometimes we even had a run-off. 

3. Revert to the old 13 heat format. Have a full 2nd half which includes junior league races and individual heats. How about also staging say 4 80cc races prior to the main meeting?

4. Employ a centre green announcer/ master of ceremonies that can actually entertain the crowds with a bit of humour and also one that knows what they are talking about. This was the one key area where most tracks fail. Most of them are boring dinosaurs from the 60's. Also do away with the boring rider interviews. Most of the time the riders don't want to talk and what they do say is boring and can easily cure a sleep disorder. 

5. Actually promote the sport. Local radio and other media is a great thing. Don't just open the gates and expect people to turn up. Those days are gone. 

2 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

Just spent the last hour thinking how British speedway could re-attract the punters and provide value for money - sorry to waffle on...

1. Scrap doubling up once and for all. If there's not enough riders to fill both leagues then combine the two leagues into one. All we see now is the same riders racing each other all of the time just in different race jackets depending on what night of the week it is. If a football player turned out for Chelsea on Saturday and then Millwall on Wednesday it would be called a joke!

2. Bring back the aggregate bonus point. This current point system is stupid and confusing. The old bonus point gave a meeting something to race for even if a team was losing on the night and sometimes we even had a run-off. 

3. Revert to the old 13 heat format. Have a full 2nd half which includes junior league races and individual heats. How about also staging say 4 80cc races prior to the main meeting?

4. Employ a centre green announcer/ master of ceremonies that can actually entertain the crowds with a bit of humour and also one that knows what they are talking about. This was the one key area where most tracks fail. Most of them are boring dinosaurs from the 60's. Also do away with the boring rider interviews. Most of the time the riders don't want to talk and what they do say is boring and can easily cure a sleep disorder. 

5. Actually promote the sport. Local radio and other media is a great thing. Don't just open the gates and expect people to turn up. Those days are gone. 

Agree with points 2 & 3.

I hope I am the not only fan who has noticed that only one promoter has had any input to this thread! I also noted that the promotion concerned left the BSPL after being treated like dirt by the powers that be in the run up to this season.

Well done to Barry Bishop and the Warriors promotion for all the hard work they do to put on entertainment that speedway fans can enjoy. From all the reports I have seen the first two meetings have been a success from the point of view of entertainment value and good crowds which is very good news.

All I now need them to sort out is South Western Railway and Wightlink so they run the late boat from Ryde and the late train from Portsmouth so I can enjoy the racing and get home to Wimbledon after the meeting. Sadly the local council allowed a football stadium to be built on the Speedway and Stock Car track in Plough Lane that I enjoyed both sports from August 1957 (6th October 1962 in the case of stox) until the last car meeting on 26th March 2017. After what happened at Wimbledon I know one firm I would never buy a flat or house from.

• Like 5