British Speedway Forum
Flappy

Belle Vue v Peterborough Panthers - Grand Final

7 hours ago, stevehone said:

it's a shame there are so many supporters that only turn up for playoffs when they're needed all season

Mainly because it’s the most important meeting of the season all the meetings that went before in the regular season in all honesty isn’t as important yes got to get into top 4 which Panthers easily . 

• Like 1

Great performance, great atmosphere. Good laugh on the back straight, Aces fans on form, but ended up with a shake of hands at the end of the night. 

We got lucky with Cook being included in the rerun whilst being under power but coming last nullified that. 

Bewley was fantastic and credit to Brennan. The rest were average at best, Lemon needs his head testing giving Jye the second RR. Should have been a Worrall off the inside.

All the Panthers did their job, showed track craft to catch the Aces riders out whilst they were messing about in the middle of the track. I do hate TV meetings, although a final and you expect it, with RR, the delays were tedious

• Like 2

Congratulations to the Panthers, they were the better team over two legs (and worthy champions over the season to be honest)

Maybe it was a 'last hurrah' for one or two of them, but they came up with the goods when they needed to,

Gutted for the Aces and I think that there will be a lot of changes for next season. I don't think that the Worralls and Wright are going to improve so they need someone younger with the ambition and talent to progress. 

No doubt we'll go again,  but another 'so near yet so far season' leaves it a sad end to the campaign

15 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

Congratulations to the Panthers, they were the better team over two legs (and worthy champions over the season to be honest)

Maybe it was a 'last hurrah' for one or two of them, but they came up with the goods when they needed to,

Gutted for the Aces and I think that there will be a lot of changes for next season. I don't think that the Worralls and Wright are going to improve so they need someone younger with the ambition and talent to progress. 

No doubt we'll go again,  but another 'so near yet so far season' leaves it a sad end to the campaign

The three you mention have been at a certain level for a long, long time, therefore, as you say, are not going to improve...

However the same could be said for Peterboroughs team, and, in fact most of the riders in every team...

The reality is that there are not many established riders who will now improve their averages unless the standard weakens to allow them to win more races..

And there are not many riders of say five years riding experience or so that look like they are making any kind of move forwards, hence I presume, so many end up never making that leap to overseas leagues and international success..

Last nights victory for Peterborough was down to their riders who are of a similar level to the Aces lads, simply handling the pressure better, and riding harder...

Which having watched the Aces 'engine room' for the past couple of decades, (whichever the personnel) you  always had a feeling could happen...

Edited by mikebv

9 hours ago, Col said:

If Bewley was unbeatable every ride in British league, agreed, but he's not... admittedly the only points he dropped tonight (heat 1) were due Worrall's inability to team ride & a track loaded with grip on the inside early on. Winning races breeds confidence, he is getting that here, would he at the gating hellhole of Hallstavik?

It was mistakes from harris and Palm toft in 13 to not cover the outside line, I could see he was trying that for over a lap and would get by. 

Edited by SPEEDY69

4 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The three you mention have been at a certain level for a long, long time, therefore, as you say, are not going to improve...

However the same could be said for Peterboroughs team, and, in fact most of the riders in every team...

The reality is that there are not many established riders who will now improve their averages unless the standard weakens to allow them to win more races..

And there are not many riders of say five years riding experience or so that look like they are making any kind of move forwards, hence I presume, so many end up never making that leap to overseas leagues and international success..

Last nights victory for Peterborough was down to their riders who are of a similar level to the Aces lads, simply handling the pressure better, and riding harder...

Which having watched the Aces 'engine room' for the past couple of decades, you always had a feeling could happen...

I agree with much of that but I think inconsistency is a factor too. Any rider on their day can ride a stormer. The British champion surprised a few this year because many thought Bewley would win on home soil. 

I never though Ulrich would ride as well as he did this year but it does show that it can happen. Great racing in both legs of the final but clearly it was the Panthers doing nearly all the passing last night. 

Another great meeting. Brilliant stuff. Plenty of action. Well done to both teams.

The Panthers obviously deserved it. Good choice of guest as well.

Bewley is obviously brillaint, but too many many times the other Aces made the gate and could not hold on.

Nice to see both the Rising Stars getting plenty of points.

• Like 1

.And people say speedway dead in this country not on those two meetings .

Was also a nice touch with the Belle Vue riders coming out after the meeting shaking hands/fist pumps etc. Would have been easy just to pack up and leave.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

It was mistakes from harris and Palm toft in 13 to not cover the outside line, I could see he was trying that for over a lap and would get by. 

Harris & Palm Toft don't have eyes in the backs of their heads! They were focused on trying to pass Wright (which they did).

11 hours ago, Flappy said:

They won't get much praise but well done and thank you to Buster Chapman and Dale Allit

You can keep Allitt if you want,then you may have Kinsley as a rising star next season.Plus Proctor and a few others:rolleyes:

• Like 1

What a night,, what an atmosphere,,, I went there as a neutral,,, but after bout 3 races I was shouting the Panthers riders on like they were my own team, first time standing on back straight and it looked so fast in the dark. 

Really pleased for the Panthers fans,, and to be honest a bit jealous my team never seem to have the bottle to see things through,,,, also commiserations to Aces fans,,, I know how you feel,, its been a long time.   Oh and that's all fans bar Geoff/NSS1,, he's a total plank, that we won't see again for a few months. 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Col said:

Harris & Palm Toft don't have eyes in the backs of their heads! They were focused on trying to pass Wright (which they did).

That's called team riding. Not everyone can do it. 

Well done to the Panthers but what has happened to your track, has Buster destroyed it like he has Kings Lynn, if that was a normal meeting you would all be moaning about no passing and one line, it was only the incredible effort from the rider's and some rider errors that made the racing as good as it was which wouldn't have happened in a league meeting. 

• Like 3