British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

World U21 championship 2022 GP 2 3rd round Torun Friday September 30th

Never saw any of last nights GP as was out - did start to watch this afternoon U21 but rapidly lost interest and after an hour went and sat in the garden watching the lawn grow was more interesting 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Haza said:

Never saw any of last nights GP as was out - did start to watch this afternoon U21 but rapidly lost interest and after an hour went and sat in the garden watching the lawn grow was more interesting 

Did you have to mow it before the meeting finished.!

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, LesR said:

Is Cardiff contracted for another nine years with Discovery+?

I just don't get the obsession with having the Grand Prix at Cardiff. I get that its a glamorous stadium and all the events outside for the fans but it has never been a good racetrack. The track is too small and the races are over in a blink of an eye. I've been to two Cardiff GP's and can't really say either have been the best meeting I've ever seen. Why don't they move it to the new Belle Vue? It's not the Millennium Stadium but it's a proper British speedway track and we may even get some decent racing.  

1 hour ago, YerRopes said:

From Sportowefakty.. 

'The competition dragged on and was boring like tripe oil'. 

Not an outlet that is always 100% accurate, but on this occasion....

• Like 3

I have booked time off till Wednesday..

But even I was getting worried I might have to extend it.  :D

Does Phil get extra money every time he appears on screen..?

I seen to remember Jacob Olsen doing the same job for several years, but not sure what he looks like...;)

Tbh, I have thought for a while now that Ole Olsen should be nowhere near a speedway track. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I have booked time off till Wednesday..

But even I was getting worried I might have to extend it.  :D

Does Phil get extra money every time he appears on screen..?

I seen to remember Jacob Olsen doing the same job for several years, but not sure what he looks like...;)

Tony Olsson :)

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

Tony Olsson :)

That's the fella...:D

On the whole, it wasn’t actually that bad a meeting, but having to sit in that heat for 5 hours watching mainly tractor racing was terrible. 
forecast hot weather for weeks, the track needed a load of moisture but the water truck looked like it had been hit with a hosepipe ban! 
the ref, wow. Spent more time inside than actually watching what was going on, to exclude Grahn for being under power when he fell after he’d put the red light on summed it up! For the Kvech incident he wasn’t trackside while the reruns were shown, not that you’d need them. 
Conveniently shot off as soon as the meeting was ‘called’ which was also a farce! Called after 20 when the leader had looped at the start, several of the crashes towards the end were down to rider error, not the track.

all in all a pi$$ poor display from what had been a good weekend and robbed Brennan and the very impressive Flint of a shot at winning 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lefty said:

I'm told there was concern that a number of the riders could be over the 21 age limit by the time the meeting finished. :D

I think Jan Kvech would agree...:D

Sure he rode for Exeter in the 70's....:D

As I was sat there today, my life ebbing away watching "World Championship Tyre Packing"...

I thought to myself...

As we seem to have doubled track maintenance time,  why could we not have halved the 2 minute warning to at least get some of that waiting time back...

And also sent the riders back to the tapes for every re run, rather than them all sit there waiting at the pits, getting all the set up adjustments done that they wished they had had before the race began...

Listening to Sweet "4kin" Caroline on a continuous loop would have been the only thing worse than watching this heap of mis managed "Barry White" today..:D

• Haha 2

This was just too much today - had to leave after heat 12 to get a tyre changed for my journey home, usually would be really bugged at missing the meaningful races, but this was just awful and I was bored stiff, so actually pleased to leave early.

Grading after every two heats? Surely if it needed that much work, the track was not fit for purpose? Re-run after re-run, that is just not entertainment I'm afraid.

Feel sorry for the lads who tried to have a go - at least they should have a decent race track in Torun!

Edited by glenantony

14 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

What was the reason given for cancellation of semi’s and Final

The track that was deemed safe enough to be able to hold a rerun of heat 20 became so unsafe as soon as it ended that the meeting was immediately cancelled without even needing an inspection.

54 minutes ago, someone said:

The track that was deemed safe enough to be able to hold a rerun of heat 20 became so unsafe as soon as it ended that the meeting was immediately cancelled without even needing an inspection.

Personally, I think it was right to call an end after heat 20, even though heat 20 was rerun….it had to be rerun.  To put the top scorers through two more races (if they got to the final) may not have reflected the true winner and potentially injured one or more of the eight. The races could potentially be a gate and go affair, or worse, someone may have tried an overtake resulting in two or more riders getting injured.

Tje same thing could have been said about the British Championship the other week. They got to heat 12 and stopped it. If it went to 12+they could have got to 13, then to 14 and do on. It’s sad to end a meeting early, but it happens out of necessity.

• Like 1