British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Jim Airy Or Jim Airey?

Forget all this nonsense about who is the best rider ever or the greatest rider never to win the World Championship. The ultimate question is this: how did Jim spell his surname?

You read old magazines and you get both spellings. You do a Google search and you get both spellings.

So what is it? Airy or Airey?

Anyone?

Forget all this nonsense about who is the best rider ever or the greatest rider never to win the World Championship. The ultimate question is this: how did Jim spell his surname?

You read old magazines and you get both spellings. You do a Google search and you get both spellings.

Anyone?

Usual key - try to get a photo of him where his name is shown on the back mudguard. That settled a lot of queries for me in regard to Mick MacKeon, Mick McKeon, Mick Mackeon and Mick Mckeon. Trouble is - I now forget which is correct! :rolleyes:

With an "E", cobber.

Certainly looks better with an "e" so I'm really pleased about that.

What about his first name? Jim or Gym?

Don't answer that.

Airey, the best rider to ride for sheffield

I can just about remember Jim, and yes I would put him up there with Shawn Moran.

Recall Jim's buddy Gordon Guasco-I think they both started at Sunderland in 64 and went to Wolves when the Saints closed down

Anyone?

It was 'Jim Airey" on the fornt of his business premises in Fairfield NSW this should be right but i've seen some shocking spelling by signwriters.

Recall Jim's buddy Gordon Guasco-I think they both started at Sunderland in 64 and went to Wolves when the Saints closed down

I remember it well, it was just a shame the promotion closed it down for other reasons. :angry:

:blink::blink:

Usual key - try to get a photo of him where his name is shown on the back mudguard. That settled a lot of queries for me in regard to Mick MacKeon, Mick McKeon, Mick Mackeon and Mick Mckeon. Trouble is - I now forget which is correct! :rolleyes:

Deffinatley McKeon, but don't forget it's 'Mighty Mick McKeon' as he was known at Claremont. :wink:

Edited by Ozyace

Deffinatley McKeon, but don't forget it's 'The Mighty Mick McKeon' as he was known at Claremont. :wink:

Not to be confused with Dud "McKean", of course...

Steve

Not to be confused with Dud "McKean", of course...

Steve

Quite rigft Chunky, but don't forget it's 'Cuddly Dudley McKean' as he was known when he came to ours for a drink. :wink:

Quite rigft Chunky, but don't forget it's 'Cuddly Dudley McKean' as he was known when he came to ours for a drink. :wink:

That's the name Ian Hoskins gave hit at Edinburgh. Older Monarchs fans will also remember for for having the biggest handlebars in speedway.

I often thought it was a pity Dudley didn't stick it out a bit longer in British speedway. In his last season he was definitely showing signs of moving up a notch.

Showing my age here :cry: ,but i remember him riding at the old Newport venue,Somerton Park.