British Speedway Forum
BuxtonTiger

Buxton V Newport 31/10 - Sunday Start Time

As an Aces fan who only manages to get to the Buxton track on a few occasions each season may I offer my congratulations to the promotion on a major achievement this season.

I have always enjoyed my visits to the track (except on the odd freezing/wet Sunday),and think that the whole set-up deserves this success after providing opportunities for young riders for so long.

It would be nice to think that somewhere Ken Moss will be smiling with satisfaction.........

As in all Leagues the Play-Off system is useful in maintaining interest to the end of the season. If used correctly they can also bring exciting speedway, better crowds and much needed revenue.

The Play off system in itself is not responsible for what you are complaining about.

You are hanging the blame on Play Offs because you dont like them.

The problems experienced at the end of this season are due to other reasons. These have also led to the late running of the NLRC and the ultimate abadonment of the Four Taem Championship. The problems with those events have nothing to do with play offs. There have been a lot of other problems and difficulties which I am not going to specify. But the reasons for the problems are the same and are not Play Off related.

QED

Malcolm Vasey

I don't think that many of us like the play offs, Malcolm, as I suspect that most fans believe that the league winners should be champions. Having said that, I fully accept the play off system for precisely the reasons you have stated, in particular the increased gates that the matches create.

What is undoubtedly true is that the abandonment of the 4TT, the initial postponement of the NLRC and its reinstatement (and I don't rule out the angry reaction of fans on here as a possible reason for that reinstatement) and the fact the final was reduced to one leg does absolutely nothing for the credibility of the NL and indeed will make it a matter for ridicule.

You may have more information than I have but from my point of view that looks like poor organisation and that alone.That is a huge shame given the fact that I believe that the competition itself was a qualified success, with the reintroduction of Dudley, several challengers for the title and, in particular, the development of a large number of young British riders.

It doesn't matter if you, or me, or George or Fred agree, it was the same for the KO Cup final and the Playoffs. It's happened. Buxton have won everything. Get over it. End of.

I cannot help but wonder whether you would have expressed the same thoughts if Newport had won on Friday and todays match been called off, and the team that I believe deserve the title (ie Buxton)had to have been content with runners up. Whichever way this is looked at, it diminishes their success and that cannot be allowed to happen again.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Buxton are 2010 National league champions.

Well done to the boys , the club and the supporters.

Wish i could have been there.

Chopper

Well I was there,Chopper,and you're son was outstanding yet again.Well done to all at Buxton! :wink:

Well I was there,Chopper,and you're son was outstanding yet again.Well done to all at Buxton! :wink:

oh i agree 100% he was brilliant, they all were, well done buxton!!!!

Leaving all the politics to one side - congratulations to Buxton on being the 2010 National League champions.

I'm actually glad the meeting was run, as the championship was decided on the track - as said no politics, perhaps next year there will be better planning from all concerned - but well done to Buxton. The Hornets have had a really good season also with a young team.

GET IN!!!!!!!!!

As it happens, I have it on good account that there was no rain at Newport on Friday, but they could only get 4 riders together so thought it was better coming today at 0-0 rather than being X amount of points down.

Well Mr I have it on good account there was no rain: LET ME STOP YOU THERE. I suggest you look at the photo on the official Newport web site www.newport-speedway.org and look under latest news and you will find a photo taken on Friday 7.30pm that clearly shows how wet the track was. You need new informants me thinks. LOL.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Buxton are 2010 National league champions.

Well done to the boys , the club and the supporters.

Wish i could have been there.

Chopper

Are you on night shift or couldn't you sleep posting at some unearthly hour over there. Looks like the boy rode well today and stuck with Buxton to the end of the season.

The weather didn't look too kind this morning with mist hanging over the hills so I suppose they did well to run the meeting. Well done to Buxton on the seasons successes.

I'm glad Buxton won convincingly today, as few can doubt that they would have won over two legs, if it had been possible. We done Buxton you have kept the faith over the years.

Congratulations Buxton. A very deserved League title.

Despite the usual shambles to get all fixtures before the end of the season, this has also been a very enjoyable season in the NL. Plenty of young riders coming through and providing huge entertainment in the process. The play off system also helped maintained interest for later matches at most tracks.

I saw Buxton about 6 times during the season and every time they gave much more than value for money. Just wish I had been able to see them more often. Thanks Hitmen.

:)

I cannot help but wonder whether you would have expressed the same thoughts if Newport had won on Friday and todays match been called off, and the team that I believe deserve the title (ie Buxton)had to have been content with runners up. Whichever way this is looked at, it diminishes their success and that cannot be allowed to happen again.

I'm a speedway fan, the rules were set out for both finals before any 1st legs were run, so I'd have accepted it. It's a shame some can't

" As it happens, I have it on good account that there was no rain at Newport on Friday, but they could only get 4 riders together so thought it was better coming today at 0-0 rather than being X amount of points down."

Not sure who this person is who told you that story but it is totally untrue. Newport's side on Friday would have been : Darren Mallett, R/R for Tim Webster, Luke Priest, Tony Atkin, Kyle Newman, Rhys Naylor and Tom Young ...which makes six riders plus R/R. As for the rain Yes1 has answered that and although I was not in Newport I have been reliably informed that the weather men got it right and it was raining hard from just ater 7. We wanted the first leg from many angles including having a home leg and a home crowd to pay for the two meetings --as it is now today's away leg has cost the promotion money without any return.

Our congratulations to Buxton on their clean sweep of trophies and although no one can predict it one wonders what the outcome would be with two legs and a full Hornets side with messers Kurtz, Jones, Webster and White-Williams?

Edited by Main Man