British Speedway Forum
fatface

Speedway's Best Ever Rivalries?

Didn't Karger and Dugard have two seperate comings together on different occasions? Not sure, but I think they did.

Kojak, normally, was funny and good for a wind-up, but that night he was well out of order and in no way having a joke. He was well mardy at the Cheetahs having been given a stuffing and then ran and shut the gate just as Swindon were coming out onto the track for a victory parade. The mass brawl that ensued was great. I remember that far more than the actual match.

Oxford v Swindon was always the big rivalry match for me. There was always something happening in the Cowley matches.

Didn't Karger and Dugard have two seperate comings together on different occasions? Not sure, but I think they did.

Kojak, normally, was funny and good for a wind-up, but that night he was well out of order and in no way having a joke. He was well mardy at the Cheetahs having been given a stuffing and then ran and shut the gate just as Swindon were coming out onto the track for a victory parade. The mass brawl that ensued was great. I remember that far more than the actual match.

Oxford v Swindon was always the big rivalry match for me. There was always something happening in the Cowley matches.

Hi Grachan,

Yes, two clashes between Dugard and Karger:

1. August 1988 - during the night of the riot/brawl/handbags. Dugard excluded, rode through the tapes.

2. March 1989 - an Easter Monday Gold Cup daytime meeting. Karger excluded, Dugard punched him.

All the best

Rob

I'm a bit surprised to see Crump-Pedersen and some of the other modern GP ones here.

Crump Snr - Billy Sanders was quite tasty for a while, Swindon - Ippo at that time always had an edge.

Crump Snr - Billy Sanders was quite tasty for a while, Swindon - Ippo at that time always had an edge.

Crump and Sanders Both great riders, always i think there was a tension .But they got on i think respect at the end of the day ,You can never dispute they were great Both great riders.

Some fascinating stuff here. I hadn't realised Swindon-Oxford was such a spicy one, so it's great to read all about it here. Picking up on the Wolves-Cradley tales, I'm sure I recall the two clubs setting up some sort of end of season 20 heat challenge between them in the early 90s. To outsiders it would seem meaningless, but clearly to each camp it was anything t.

Oxford vs Those down the A420 would be a lively affair if it was tiddleywinks on pogosticks on ice

I never saw it that way but maybe its due to the fact i started following swindon when only reading were in the top flight, and i never followed football so never thought about oxford much.

For those in the Black Country, Graham Warren (Wolves) v Ivor Brown (Cradley.

Just to add

Brown V Mauger Mauger talks about it in his recent biography.

Nicki V Watson Killer racing in 1998, just as well they were in different leagues straight after that.

I miss nights like that. I've got the DVD. It sounds like there were about 5000 in the stadium (instead of the 200-300 who were there). Every time Buzz comes out for his latter riders, you can hear all the abuse coming from the terraces. :lol:

All the best

Rob

Ah, but the abuse I gave back was louder!!!! As you say, great days; and mate, after all those years of following Oxford like you did, I really feel for you..: these b@st@rds who take away our tracks have a lot to answer for..

THAT'S the biggest rivarly in the sport, us against the developers and heartless speculators...

A beer next season somewhere..: is a must..!

About 60 fans were in a mass brawl at Cowley also, with the Swindon supporters coach being attacked afterwards, then some Robins fans got off and chased the Oxford yobs up the road.

About 60 fans were in a mass brawl at Cowley also, with the Swindon supporters coach being attacked afterwards, then some Robins fans got off and chased the Oxford yobs up the road.

Hmm, funny how there appears to a common thread in so many of these postings....

Romford v Rayeigh

Rayleigh v Eastbourne - ignited by Silver & Lanning/Dugard.

Eastbourne v Canterbury

Evitts v Tatum

Carter v the Collins bros (Peter & Neil)

Carter v Sigalos

Sanders v Thomsen

Mildenhall v Rye House (circa '79).

Olsen v Younger Danes on the way up (circa '80)

Romford v Rayeigh

Rayleigh v Eastbourne - ignited by Silver & Lanning/Dugard.

Eastbourne v Canterbury

Evitts v Tatum

Carter v the Collins bros (Peter & Neil)

Carter v Sigalos

Sanders v Thomsen

Mildenhall v Rye House (circa '79).

Olsen v Younger Danes on the way up (circa '80)

Thought about this one myself the other day but, to this outsider, it just seemed to be something fuelled by Carters burning desire to rule the roost and his childish rants when things didn't go to plan, Peter Collins had so much more ability, it was only a contest because Peter was past his best and injuries had taken their toll by the time Carter began to emerge.

Can't remember specifics but was there not a problem between Neil Collins & Carter, maybe some racing incident started it. I would imagine the only reason Peter was involved would have been due to family ties, I can't ever remember any bad press about PC in terms of disputes with other riders, he wasn't that sort of rider, he just let his riding do the talking.

Another aspect may have been the 'Roses' rivalry, those meetings @ The Shay & Hyde Rd served up some decent tense battles. Carter was often described as reckless/dangerous in his pursuit of victory, a bit similar to the accusations levelled at Nicki Pedersen at times during his career.

Maybe it's just my rose tinted view, would be happy to learn what any else thinks/knows.

Carter - most Americans

Pedersen - anyone

Gundersen - Nielsen was the first to come to mind. Both great riders and ultra dedicated. They had their ups and downs and I know Gundersen's injury hit Nielsen like a train. Together they were formidable and as opponents fiercely competitive.

During probably their biggest rivalry in 1985 when Nielsen was left out of the Danish test team by Team

Manager and Erik's mentor, Ole Olsen, they were still able to enjoy a friendly rivalry when Nielsen bet Gundersen he couldn't quit smoking. I can't remember who won or what the stake was but it showed they were still good mates behind all the problems.