British Speedway Forum
ekimba

Edinburgh Champions 2013 ? 😄

Iris is right though, Tsunami. In the fifty years I have been watching speedway the only changes I can recall to track surfaces are that they have become generally slicker and that they no longer seem to use sawdust on wet tracks. There may, of course, be a perfectly good reason for the latter - I don't know.

Tracks have got slicker due mainly to machinery. Laydown engines are much lower, and with the higher speed/revving, are supposed to not drive in the muck, the same way the uprights drove in rough tracks. Dekker also correctly mentions the lack of oil in the shale, due to the removal of oil loss engines which dropped oil, and helped greatly to bind the shale together. Shale was found as the best available, and a financially viable freely available material, to replace the diminishing sources of cinders/furnace bottoms. Shale is also now a diminishing material as quarry's 'dry up' and pit heaps are bulldosed/contoured. So it is time, and a necessity, to look for a workable and financially viable and freely available alternative. It has been discussed within the sport. Sawdust and other such materials may work on the night but one would have thought that, in the fullness of time, their use might be detrimental to the bind qualities of the shale.

Gutted at this news. Speedway cannot afford to lose another track. Edinburgh fans always travel in large numbers to away tracks so this would affect every track. Hope a saviour can be found.

I am also disgusted that some highly respected posters on this forum have resorted to jokes and ridicule on this topic.

Can the moderators please remove those comments and issue a warning to the offenders about the offence their posts cause to Edinburgh supporters

It wasn't on the subject of the topic, and I agree we were all miles off topic and for that I am sorry.

Speaking to colleagues in Sweden and Poland would be recommended, as using covers and different track materials may reduce the number of lost fixtures.

How do they afford the covers? Start by calculating the cost of each abandoned meeting, especially when the riders have made their way to the track...

It has already been mentioned on a thread this week, that there is a UK covers manufacturer currently looking into their provision for 2013 for all tracks. There has been an item in the SS, been mentioned on here as well, and on an EL TV meeting. At the present moment it seems to be current thinking to call a meeting off before the riders have left home, to save meeting staging costs. Visibility for riders during a meeting will still cause meetings to be called off, but that is usually a minor rather than the main season for a call off.

Sorry to see John going, have known him professionally since we started in 1997 and although we have had minor spats with Edinburgh from time to time, John has personally been very cooperation at crucial times, especially lending riders and fixture changes at short notice. Might add that John had a part to play in Nicki P joining us in 1998. :shock:

One question for 2013, who is now going to do the seasons fixtures for the PL. :o

• Like 1

Well lets hope that the Monarchs will operate in 2013, it would be a great shame not to see the Blue and Gold next season, hopefully the fact that a decision has been deferred for 2 weeks is an indication that there may be a way forward for them

Good Luck

Well lets hope that the Monarchs will operate in 2013, it would be a great shame not to see the Blue and Gold next season, hopefully the fact that a decision has been deferred for 2 weeks is an indication that there may be a way forward for them

Good Luck

Yes , hope the Monarchs will be back next year with a flying Cookie.

Oh and my gf looks forward to seeing men in Kilts. ;)

• Like 2

Said in this morning's Scottish Sun that there had been a good response to the plea to fans for help , and that the club will make an announcement in two weeks time as to whether they'll run next year or not .

Said in this morning's Scottish Sun that there had been a good response to the plea to fans for help , and that the club will make an announcement in two weeks time as to whether they'll run next year or not .

i would of thought they would have to confirm if they were running next week at the agm unless the paper work has to be filed the week after

if edinbrugh dont comit at the agm am i right that they cant vote on any rule changes ?

• Like 1

There'll be a meeting at Livingston FC on Monday 12th and it'll be announced probably between that and the AGM on whether Edinburgh intend to come to the tapes in 2013...

Could there be a new BSPA Chairman then at the AGM on 16-18 November?!

Should there be a change, then I am sure the new man will be another Matt Ford puppet.

Should there be a change, then I am sure the new man will be another Matt Ford puppet.

Is Alex Harkess a "Matt Ford puppet" then?

Was Pete Toogood? Chris Van Straaten?

I think if there is a change then the most likely candidate would be vice chairman, Jon Cook. Is he also a "Matt Ford puppet"?

How many puppet does one man get to play with? :party:

Edited by Wendy
  • Like 2

I think if there is a change then the most likely candidate would be vice chairman, Jon Cook. Is he also a "Matt Ford puppet"?

as many as they can influence in whatever way they can

Well, Harkness seems quite happy to let all sorts of jiggery pokery go on under his nose without seeming to give much of a toss about whether the interests being served are British Speedway's or one club's.

Does EVERY Thread simply have to become Poole Speedway or Mr. Ford focussed. :rolleyes::angry:

Some folk need to GET A LIFE - in my opinion. :rolleyes::sad: :sad:

• Like 6

Does EVERY Thread simply have to become Poole Speedway or Mr. Ford focussed. :rolleyes::angry:

Some folk need to GET A LIFE - in my opinion. :rolleyes::sad: :sad:

Well if speedway got itself a shred of integrity then it wouldn't happen.

Integrity won't entice new speedway fans but it'll stop some of the existing ones walking away.

• Like 1