British Speedway Forum
arnieg

Spreading The Glory Around

All the PL trophies went to different teams - a very unusual event with so many trophies on offer

League - Scunthorpe

Cup - Newcastle

League Cup - Somerset

Fours - Berwick

Pairs - Workington

Individual - Craig Cook of Edinburgh

• Like 4

All the PL trophies went to different teams - a very unusual event with so many trophies on offer

League - Scunthorpe

Cup - Newcastle

League Cup - Somerset

Fours - Berwick

Pairs - Workington

League - Scunthorpe

Cup - Newcastle

League Cup - Somerset

Fours - Berwick

Pairs - Workington

You forgot to mention Rye House :wink:
  • Like 1

You keep all the others, we won the league nobody remembers the rest :approve:

No you didnt,you won the play-offs,Newcastle won the PL.

• Like 5

League - Newcastle

End of season play off mini tornament - Scunthorpe

Cup - Newcastle

League Cup - Somerset

Fours - Berwick

Pairs - Workington

• Like 1

Wrong,Newcastle topped a qualification table,!!!!!

And a league winners medal went to Workington.......

Gary Irving took it there :rofl::t::shock:

Edited by montie
  • Like 3

As a total neutral in matters regarding the Premier League, I find it refreshing that you still keep up all the other trophies, and that they are spread around the teams.

Comparing this with the Elite League, where the only trophies left, other than the Sky Play Off Championship are the KO Cup, and the Riders Title. Both of the latter are now derided by a large section of Elite fans.

Please don,t go the same way as them,speedway can be very boring when your teams chances of winning anything are over in the first few weeks of the season, with nothing left to at least salvage something out of the season.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought until recently, whoever came top of the Premier League were declared Champions, and the Play-Offs had another title.

Its just my opinion, but I firmly believe that whoever comes top of the League are the true Champions for that year.

My congratulations to Scunthorpe,on their win, you can only play within the rules of the sport.

Edited by woodenspoon

As far as i know the play offs decide the League Champs, the order in which teams finish just decides who gets the pick of who plays against who in a mini League to decide the final to decide the champions..... ;)

Its got its pro's and cons with any system, some say it provides a finale at the end of the season, others would prefer a simple top of the League team to be declared the winners. :neutral:

• Like 1

I think you'll find the winner of the play-offs win the Premier League. Those being the rules subscribed to, by all 13 teams.

The play-offs are here to stay. Compare last night's extreme excitement (Heat 15 was almost more than I could bear) with last year's stroll in the park for Glasgow.

However, rugby awards a "minor" to the team who tops the table. Maybe we should do this in speedway - what about the Young Shield? The table-topping team then, at least, gets some silverware. That would be seem fair to me.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 4

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought until recently, whoever came top of the Premier League were declared Champions, and the Play-Offs had another title.

Its just my opinion, but I firmly believe that whoever comes top of the League are the true Champions for that year.

My congratulations to Scunthorpe,on their win, you can only play within the rules of the sport.

I could be wrong (it's hardly unusual!! :oops: ) but I think this year is the first year the actual second tier CHAMPIONSHIP has been decided by a Play Off (used for a number of years now in the other two divisions..).

Previously the play-off scenario in the Premier was to secure that much-derided slot for the promotion-relegation tie: something now struck off as frankly it was rather pointless...

Well done to Richard and his Scunny lads!

And Rob's right, Rugby League for one does do that and the Young Shield for the 'League Leaders' would be a good idea.

When will people learn?

The rules state at the start of the season that the team who wins the end of season playoffs is crowned the PL champions. We start in March, end in October then some clowns have to start up that "the team who finished top should be called the champions". Be the same again next year, and the year after that...

And Parsloes, the playoffs decided the champions before the promotion/relegation. 2007 highlight - stuffing Kings Lynn in the semi. 2007 low - getting stuffed by Rye House in the final!

• Like 2

I think what we need in 2013 is some simple rules and less meetings, wether that includes the Play offs remains to be seen, personally i can see the play offs staying in place but they were in danger of not being completed due to the very bad weather experienced this season.

Maybe the way forward is to scrap the mini league bit and just go for pure knockout. We have a season of league meetings. Playoffs should be lose over 2 legs and you're out. Top 4 teams. Top team picks their opponent. 2 semis. Winners to final. Next 8 teams have Pointless Crap Trophy starting with 1/4 finals, then semi's, then final.

• Like 1

Team that scores more points than all the others after playing everyone home and away should be the league champions.

If you want large crowds, bring back the 4TT qualifying rounds to fill the 3 weeks wasted on the playoffs. Newcastle home gate + 100 Berwick + 100 Edinburgh + 100 Glasgow made for plenty big crowds and a great atmosphere. It usually wasn't pissing down and 1 degree above zero either. This also gets rid of all the arguments about who gets chosen to be in the 4TT finals

• Like 1