British Speedway Forum
Vincent Vega

All Time Wimbledon 1- 7

I went to Plough Lane every week from about 1983 to 1991 so my team would be.

Dave Jessup

Simmo

Mike Ferreira

Kelvin Tatum

Roger Johns

Todd Wiltshire

Ray Morton

Would be interesting to hear other fans 1-7 from maybe this era or the 60s or 70s.

Briggo, Moore,T.Jansson, Hedge, Tatum,Ross, Jancarz.

Canny Team that sidney - one I would go a long way to watch. :t:

The best I've seen in Wimbledon colours:

1. Ronnie Moore

2. Dave Jessup

3. Trevor Hedge

4. Malcolm Simmons

5. Tommy Jansson

6. Barry Briggs

7. Edward Jancarz

Ivan not good enough then??

Vic Huxley

Jim Kempster

Ray Tauser

Wilbur Lamoreaux

Norman Parker

Ronnie Moore

Barry Briggs

Can't have an all time Wimbledon team without Ron How. Not sure who he could replace from the last two mentioned teams though.

Hey, weren't there 8 man teams for a lot of the Wimbledon glory years - problem solved!!

Really enjoyed this thread - Norbold and TMC legends themselves.

Merry Xmas everybody.

Vic Huxley

Jim Kempster

Ray Tauser

Wilbur Lamoreaux

Norman Parker

Ronnie Moore

Barry Briggs

Cannot believe you could pick a Wimbledon team which would not include the late and great Tommy Jansson.who topped the Wimbledon averages over 10.00 points twice during his short career

• Like 1

Great to see Norbold back. :approve: :approve:

That would be SOME Team Norbold. :t: :t:

Cannot believe you could pick a Wimbledon team which would not include the late and great Tommy Jansson.who topped the Wimbledon averages over 10.00 points twice during his short career

You are of course 100% right.

And with all due respect, great as the likes of Huxley, Kempster, Tauser & Lamoreaux certainly would've been, they are all way before the time of ANY of us on here (well except Bryn of course!!!) so really it's hard to comment on their inclusion.

IMHO, 'Greats' should also be judged within their era, status of the club at the time and the impression/contribution they made at the time which is why I'd include Buzz..

Waiting now to get shot down by those who won't accept that concept....

Life is full of surprises Mick. I could counter that by saying I cannot believe that anyone picking a Wimbledon team would not include the late and great Vic Huxley, the greatest rider of his era.

However, the point I was really making was the idea of naming an All Time Wimbledon 7. Parsloes says, "And with all due respect, great as the likes of Huxley, Kempster, Tauser & Lamoreaux certainly would've been, they are all way before the time of ANY of us on here (well except Bryn of course!!!) so really it's hard to comment on their inclusion." Exactly. No-one here is really in a position to name an "All Time" Wimbledon 7. I could certainly put forward arguments that all the riders I mentioned should be included ahead of Tommy Jansson but really we'll never know. I just think the idea of naming an "All Time 7" is impossible. Vincent, who started the thread and presumably gave it that title, limited his choice to an eight year period, hardly an "all-time" list. Perhaps it would be better as the "best Wimbledon team made up from riders I have seen".

Edited by norbold

Huxley and even Lamoreaux have a decent claim,but surely the claim of tauser and Kempster is somewhat tenuous?They couldn't have contributed much to the club.Just as Ivan Mauger didn't ,even though he is a speedway great

Edited by iris123

Honestly, with clubs like Wimbledon and Belle Vue, it is an impossible task to name a true all-time 1-7. Of course, there is always the question of whether someone like Ivan Mauger should be included, so do we judge by actual greatness, or by the impact a rider had during his time at the club? That would then leave the door open for someone like Vic Duggan to be included...

Realistically, if we were going by achievements during their time at the club, then there are just two automatic entries :

Ronnie Moore

Barry Briggs

I think it is fair to say that the next name would likely be :

Vic Huxley

A short list for the remaining four spots would probably comprise :

Edward Jancarz

Wilbur Lamoreaux

Trevor Hedge

Tommy Jansson

Ron How

Norman Parker

Olle Nygren

Geoff Mardon

Larry Ross

Then (also taking into account greatness achieved away from Plough Lane), we have :

Malcolm Simmons

Dave Jessup

Todd Wiltshire

Kelvin Tatum

Ivan Mauger

Vic Duggan

Gote Nordin

Sverre Harrfeldt

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

my all time wimbledon team from my era of supporting the dons from 1968 to 2005 would be in no particular order.

1.ronnie moore

2.tommy jansson

3.trevor hedge

4.barry briggs

5.edward jancarz

6.dave jessup

7.malcolm simmons

the likes of reg luckhurst, olle nygren, kelvin tatum, todd wiltshire, roger johns and larry ross would all be pushing for a team spot!

Ivan not good enough then??

Ivan wasn't much cop in 1957 and nor was I, cos I wasn't even born!

These type of threads really need to be subtitled 'the best riders I've seen for Wimbledon' to avoid the inevitable conflicts that arise from seeing different riders from different eras. It's really ridiculous to try and argue for and against riders you have never seen, because there is no definitive best 1-to-7. It's all just opinions.