British Speedway Forum
Hunty

Uk Speedway Series

Some two bit organisation comes along and wants to run some speedway meetings. They don't even have the savvy to do a minimum amount of research to realise this is not going to happen.

Hardly a two bit organisation, have you researched the Red Bull nationals (note the major sponsor for a UK based series) or the ArenaCross events so far this year (inc 02 Arena / http://www.arenacrossuk.com/). Its also worth noting that each rider is equipped with transponder timing, posting immediate results via thier website and iOS / Android apps. I'm not sure how speedway timing has evolved, but its not exactly at this level.

I'd suggest that MCF are tapping into exactly the market that Speedway should be in a very professional way.

• Like 8

The BSPA can hardly be accused of being competent, the way they have fiddled and jiggled with the sport (different formats, cups, rules) year-on-year.

Perhaps the speedway series peoples deliberastely wanted to stir something up? Perhaps they simply are naive. I've no idea.

Even so, I think the SCB slamming the door is short-sighted and counter-productive. Their own statement says they encourage the sport - but I can't see any evidence of that at all, anywhere (let alone in relation to the speedway series).

Oh, the new training track at Lakeside just 'magiced' itself, did it?!!

• Like 1

So, when did Leicester make this turnaround?

When did they advise they were pulling out?

Over a week ago but the organisers seem to be in denial and have continued to announce riders, perhaps that is why the SCB were put in a situation where they had to issue a public statement.

Surely it should be encouraged and welcomed with open arms?? Any new initiative for a sport that's dying on its arse is good or should at least be looked at, same as the 4TT qualifiers that would bring fans back.... But no..... The Bspa, scb have the stranglehold over our sport, literally!!!.... We wouldn't want anything that didn't line their pockets going on now would we.... Off subject but genuine question.... How many of the management committee have been allocated major meetings at their tracks this year and over the years??

Over a week ago but the organisers seem to be in denial and have continued to announce riders, perhaps that is why the SCB were put in a situation where they had to issue a public statement.

Simple question...

Then why not put the denial on the 'official website' too?

Please point me to the denial on the official facebook page, I've looked and can't find it, although that could be down to me?

• Like 1

There's a comment on another poster's err ..."post" on the page.

Hardly broadcasting from the rooftops that they're washing their hands of the whole thing.

Oh, the new training track at Lakeside just 'magiced' itself, did it?!!

I have no idea - did the BSPA centrally fund it??? Or has the Lakeside promotion found another way to make a few quid

Edited by Backless

. Their own statement says they encourage the sport - but I can't see any evidence of that at all, anywhere (let alone in relation to the speedway series).

As has already been mentioned the Lakeside training track did not appear by magic. It was built in part with a loan from the BSPA and is more than just a training track. There will be an academy for young riders properly sponsored under the supervision of a former Elite League rider assisted by two other Elite League riders. Oh, and it will be only the second academy of its type in the world.

One might reasonably argue that the BSPA are not exactly setting the world alight in what they are doing but to say you cannot see any evidence AT ALL, ANYWHERE of it when the academy has been well publicised suggests that you are not looking for the positives and only interested in the negatives, like most of the chronic complainers on here. The BSPA have enough faults as it is without people making up unbalanced comments.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 2

As has already been mentioned the Lakeside training track did not appear by magic.

I agree, there is though more to the meaning of the word "encouragement". The 30 mile rule, doesn't encourage and neither does the self interest that lies within the BSPA. Which is why this fresh set of ideas looking in should be given thought.

• Like 1

As has already been mentioned the Lakeside training track did not appear by magic. It was built in part with a loan from the BSPA and is more than just a training track. There will be an academy for young riders properly sponsored under the supervision of a former Elite League rider assisted by two other Elite League riders. Oh, and it will be only the second academy of its type in the world.

One might reasonably argue that the BSPA are not exactly setting the world alight in what they are doing but to say you cannot see any evidence AT ALL, ANYWHERE of it when the academy has been well publicised suggests that you are not looking for the positives and only interested in the negatives, like most of the chronic complainers on here. The BSPA have enough faults as it is without people making up unbalanced comments.

I did not know about this. Congratulations to all involved - at last something for young BRITISH Riders. :t::approve: :approve: :approve:

I agree, there is though more to the meaning of the word "encouragement". The 30 mile rule, doesn't encourage and neither does the self interest that lies within the BSPA. Which is why this fresh set of ideas looking in should be given thought.

Fair enough. I don't have an opinion on these new ideas as I don't know enough about them and haven't thought it through. I would have liked some informed comment on here to fill in a few details but so much of the thread is taken up by those OTT posters, the usual suspects that decide that if it is from the BSPA it must be bad. Unless there is a bit of balance those sitting on the fence like myself are never going to be any the wiser.

A bit of informative and reasoned argument instead of slagging off the BSPA simply because they are the BSPA, boring everyone silly in the process, would not go amiss.

• Like 4

I would like to know why some people, apparently including some at the BSPA, are so against this. For the life of me I can't see how it could do the sport any harm.

It has been said that if these meetings were a success then they would want to run many more in the future. However for that to happen they would firstly be doing something very right in order to get enough people through the gate to make them want to do many more. Secondly as they have to hire the tracks current promoters can have complete control over how many meetings are run.

All the stuff about insurance and regulations is nonsense as they are quite capable of covering all of that.

If the only dispute is that they didn't go to the SCB/ BSPA first then it seems a bit petty to deprive 6 tracks and about 30 riders of some additional income. It's also not certain that is the case, they may well have spoken to people within the BSPA and not expected it to be an issue. Clearly the two members who agreed to hire the track out didn't foresee it becoming a problem.

So what is the problem? What harm do people think these meetings can do?

Whether this series gets to run this year or not I think trying to stop it could open a very large can of worms. The history of motorcycle sport is littered with examples of the ACU turning molehills into mountains only for it all to backfire in the not so distant future.

• Like 1

As has already been mentioned the Lakeside training track did not appear by magic. It was built in part with a loan from the BSPA and is more than just a training track.

One might reasonably argue that the BSPA are not exactly setting the world alight

The BSPA have enough faults as it is without people making up unbalanced comments.

Er....have we jumped to the wrong conclusion here or not read properly?The way i read it Roger Jacobs was at this point specifically talking about the SCB, not the BSPA..And looking at the SCB website encouragement is exactly the word used.So why we get onto the BSPA i don't know.Or are we saying the BSPA and the SCB are one and the same?Looking at the members list of the SCB i don't think Jim McMillan for instance is a promoter

As it specifically mentions that one of their powers is to conclude agreements with the BSPA i would imagine they are not the same

Er....have we jumped to the wrong conclusion here or not read properly?The way i read it Roger Jacobs was at this point specifically talking about the SCB, not the BSPA..And looking at the SCB website encouragement is exactly the word used.So why we get onto the BSPA i don't know.Or are we saying the BSPA and the SCB are one and the same?Looking at the members list of the SCB i don't think Jim McMillan for instance is a promoter

As it specifically mentions that one of their powers is to conclude agreements with the BSPA i would imagine they are not the same

Because if you bother to read the posts instead of just trolling mine you will see that the BSPA as well as the SCB are targets of criticism. That's what happens when the argument gets heated and the old red mist comes up obscuring peoples points of view. Perhaps instead of nit-picking my posts you or someone else can try to make the thread interesting by explaining coherently and in simple terms, without calling others muppets why they think this series is a viable and workable idea and then someone against can do a similar thing (although that has in part been said already). A few simple bullet points is all it takes maybe summarising what has been said already then we will all know, because I am blowed if I can untangle what has been said so far from a neutral point of view. The you will be able to go off go off and troll somewhere else.

It is hardly "nit-picking" if you have quoted someone when he was talking about the SCB and then answered about the BSPA ????

If you bother to quote someone,surely you should know what he is talking about as you have edited it down.No wonder the thread turns into a shambles if you don't even know what someone is talking about :blink:

And typical,instead of holding your hand up and appologising or saying "i read it wrong" you go off on one criticising others!!!!

Perhaps the MCF / SCB / BSPA could work together? It certainly seems as though the MCF are a tad more up to date on certain things such as timing, event promotion.

• Like 2