British Speedway Forum

Fair play to you Sydney . a true and loyal fan, always like to hear what you have to say . :icon_smile_clown: :icon_smile_clown:

Was that a wee bit of Sarcasm? i think so but i will take it as a compliment i see you have your correct picture up.!

I get the impression from the various promotions that we're lucky to have a team - so we should support it or else..

I can understand this to a point - when so many other teams have disappeared over the years.

There are a lot of good posts on the BSF that the various promotions should take note of and try and act upon (wheat amongst chaff etc) however, their usual response is if you don't come. then you'll lose it..

As a regular, I find this disheartening as I'm paying my money most weeks only to be told that I'm not a good enough supporter.

This, despite the fact that I have taken loads to Blunsdon, one or two still go occasionally, most of the others don't though..

If I was running the Club, I would want to know why...

I get the impression from the various promotions that we're lucky to have a team - so we should support it or else..

I can understand this to a point - when so many other teams have disappeared over the years.

There are a lot of good posts on the BSF that the various promotions should take note of and try and act upon (wheat amongst chaff etc) however, their usual response is if you don't come. then you'll lose it..

As a regular, I find this disheartening as I'm paying my money most weeks only to be told that I'm not a good enough supporter.

This, despite the fact that I have taken loads to Blunsdon, one or two still go occasionally, most of the others don't though..

To be fair ' yerropes' i believe our promotion are pretty good Rosco i believe knows what is going on.I think there has been a few times things have been slow to get into the press but overall our club is good.The thing that i have found is i know alot of people who like speedway but can't afford to do both speedway and support Swindon Town.

exactly, you certainly would if you wanted to be successful...

the only feedback you get from those who no longer attend is the space they left on the terraces... :shock::sad:

too late to start listening by then....

To be fair ' yerropes' i believe our promotion are pretty good Rosco i believe knows what is going on.I think there has been a few times things have been slow to get into the press but overall our club is good.The thing that i have found is i know alot of people who like speedway but can't afford to do both speedway and support Swindon Town.

Agree with you Sid, although Gary does go mostly absent during the season on here and info from the club is sparse..

I'm a massive fan of Rosco - he made reference on Twitter to him being 'tacitly (tactically) unaware', presumably referring to the the latest BV vs Swindon 5-1 for which he got some criticism (me included).

He shouldn't take it to heart though, as most I know all support him..

exactly, you certainly would if you wanted to be successful...

the only feedback you get from those who no longer attend is the space they left on the terraces... :shock::sad:

too late to start listening by then....

Agree with your sentiments and your earlier post.. :t:

Well then 'SCB' why don't you go up to and query whatever's troubling you with your own promoter (whoever that might be!) face to face rather than posting over forty thousand times on this forum? They won't bite! ;)

The problem is Bryn that in my experience some of them do bite. I'll never forget Dave # Name Removed #'s aggressive, abusive rants on here when confronted with criticism and I myself have been on the end of that, despite the fact that everyone I have spoken to agreed with what I had said. I can just imagine someone approaching David Hemsley after a home defeat and the reaction they would get if they were critical.

Its not true of everyone, though. Dale Allitt, Laurence Rogers and Dave Hoggart have all given patient, reasoned and persuasive responses to questions and comments I have made in the past and its why I have a lot of time for them all.

Last week, David Hoggart posted on here about some of the issue he had been though that week. It was a refreshing post that was interesting as a non=Sheffield fan but I imagine helped the Sheffield fans see some of the frustration he had gone though. It probably took him 10-15 minutes to write, it come across as honest and sincere. Now if promoters could post more along them lines when fans are asking, "why no new signing? why him as a guest? why this, why that?" people would not need to speculate and become cynical.

I think I would be immodest if I am claimed credit for that but I did tell Hoggy that he was 'missing a trick' by not using the BSF to engage with fans. The reaction to his post was very favourable indeed, both with Sheffield fans and those from other clubs.

Its absolutely true that there are those who will never be satisfied, who will want to know the ins and outs of everything or who just have an axe to grind or a hidden agenda. As I also said to Dave, its a matter of sorting out the wheat from the chaff, the reasonable from the unreasonable. You are never going to satisfy everyone but the more thinking members of this forum will soon grasp what is being said, what the limits are and appreciate the comments made.

The thing is at the moment I think that the members of this forum are just seen as troublemakers, ignoramuses and simpletons by most members of the BSPA, and that's simply not true - most of us care as much about the sport as they do. To me, its better to engage with your paying public and take the stupid stuff on the chin than ignore them altogether.

• Like 2

Forums probably only represent about 1% of those attending meetings, the real fans turn up at meetings

That would be the case also with forums, but the usual 'regular' posters are not always fans attending any meetings and/or just use the forum to have a go and knock something that they choose to object to.

I do agree with your comments about promoters should not have to respond to every forum user, and fan and they do deserve more credit for using their money to keep the sport alive, but they could at least embrace the forum every now and again. I hope your quoted comments are not indicative of how promoters feel about fans that do not attend meetings.

You talk about 'real fans', are you saying those real fans are only the ones that go meetings?

I am perhaps one of those people who never go, who you seem to be dismissing if I am reading right and I am not entitled to an opinion on these forums because I don't go?

I might not go now, but I did at one time, so does that mean I am no longer a fan? At one time I perhaps went to more speedway meetings than most fans, at one time I followed my team home and away, Glasgow one night, Exeter the next, and so on, I was always there in my crappy little Allegro that I owned back then. I never missed a meeting in years, spent thousands on following my team, put lots of money into promoters pockets around the UK, yet I no longer go because my club was lost to the sport and the passion to support another team is simply not there. But my love for speedway racing as not diminished. And if I am reading you correctly, I am not entitled to an opinion because I don't go to meetings and I choose this forum to express my views?

I do agree with your comments about promoters should not have to respond to every forum user, and fan and they do deserve more credit for using their money to keep the sport alive, but they could at least embrace the forum every now and again. I hope your quoted comments are not indicative of how promoters feel about fans that do not attend meetings.

You talk about 'real fans', are you saying those real fans are only the ones that go meetings?

I am perhaps one of those people who never go, who you seem to be dismissing if I am reading right and I am not entitled to an opinion on these forums because I don't go?

I might not go now, but I did at one time, so does that mean I am no longer a fan? At one time I perhaps went to more speedway meetings than most fans, at one time I followed my team home and away, Glasgow one night, Exeter the next, and so on, I was always there in my crappy little Allegro that I owned back then. I never missed a meeting in years, spent thousands on following my team, put lots of money into promoters pockets around the UK, yet I no longer go because my club was lost to the sport and the passion to support another team is simply not there. But my love for speedway racing as not diminished. And if I am reading you correctly, I am not entitled to an opinion because I don't go to meetings and I choose this forum to express my views?

You are not reading me correctly, but I do understand why you might think that. Fans are genuine people who love the sport of speedway, and would usually attend meetings. Some don't, or can't, due to no track or no finance. Some just don't go, but still have a love of the sport, maybe following the team by reading their results and reading about club activity.

Folks who always condemn, and run the sport down, who never go or will never go, usually have an axe to grind, and I don't think they are really in a position to be considered a fan with the sports wellbeing at heart. This basis usually gives them a platform to use for their own purposes. As there are an increasing number of this type of 'fan' on here these days, what or why should a promoter take time out to converse with them when their views are always critical. WOULD YOU. Even the critical fans on here don't agree with each other on most issues, so how would a promotion learn anything from what fans really think or want.

• Like 5

You are not reading me correctly, but I do understand why you might think that. Fans are genuine people who love the sport of speedway, and would usually attend meetings. Some don't, or can't, due to no track or no finance. Some just don't go, but still have a love of the sport, maybe following the team by reading their results and reading about club activity.

Folks who always condemn, and run the sport down, who never go or will never go, usually have an axe to grind, and I don't think they are really in a position to be considered a fan with the sports wellbeing at heart. This basis usually gives them a platform to use for their own purposes. As there are an increasing number of this type of 'fan' on here these days, what or why should a promoter take time out to converse with them when their views are always critical. WOULD YOU. Even the critical fans on here don't agree with each other on most issues, so how would a promotion learn anything from what fans really think or want.

Again Tsunami hits the nail on the head, but fails to realise it..

"An increasing number of this type of 'fan'" he says.. ignorant of why that number is increasing.

"An increasing number of this type of 'fan'" he says.. ignorant of why that number is increasing.

Because they have found a place to 'grind their axe' anonymously and if they do so repeatedly it gives them a voice out of all proportion to their numbers?

• Like 4

I work for a company who spends millions each year in receiving feedback from our customers...

When we get it, good or bad, we use it by acting on what we got told..

What we never never do is find excuses to justify the issue if the feedback wasnt what we wanted to hear as at the time it was given, the person concerned felt they had a genuine reason for complaint..

Therefore all me an my team need to do is listen, learn and fix the issue as quickly as possible so as not to 'p' others off the same way.......

Due to the wonders of technology, this forum can deliver shedloads of constructive, free, databased feedback with several common issues being regularly challenged by those who contribute, and also many complimentary comments when 'speedway is done well'....

If it was my business I would welcome it, and use it to improve my business model, not try and second guess as to any other agenda or even worse take it personally...

Be open minded about what your punters are telling you, accept the feedback at face value, and use the info to move your business forwards... .

Or alternatively completely ignore it if you think you are already doing a great job...

I know what the successful businessman would do...

Spot on Mike, it is what I have been posting on here for years.

What promoters have failed to grasp is that an unhappy customer who complains is actually giving you a valuable opportunity. Most customers, however dissatisfied, will rarely complain, they will simply not use the establishment anymore, gone never to be seen or heard from again

I am largely the same, if I eat a poor meal in a restaurant I never go again, I don't complain to the business owner either personally or via any social media. That is because I have no real affinity to those business' to care one way or another if they get their act together and stay in business or not.

With Speedway, and Belle Vue in particular, I do care and would like the slide turned round, hence why I voice my concerns on here

Edited by Oldace
  • Like 3

Just seen Bryn asked me the other day why I don't speak to promoters and ask the questions. I have done, I've approached a few promoters and asked questions. But they dont like answering awkward questions. Over the years I have probably sent about 50 emails to the BSPA and got about 5 responses, all generic clap-trap.

As for not posting under real names. Most of us on here can be found without too much of an issue, we all know someone who is known by officialdom and it wouldn't be hard to find most of us. In fact a few riders, mechanics and managers have found me at meetings for a chat and 3 promoters (one was technically a CL chairman at the time) have contacted me on the forum for a phone number (or give me a phone number) to speak to them (one of them never did contact me, shame).

Last week, David Hoggart posted on here about some of the issue he had been though that week. It was a refreshing post that was interesting as a non=Sheffield fan but I imagine helped the Sheffield fans see some of the frustration he had gone though. It probably took him 10-15 minutes to write, it come across as honest and sincere. Now if promoters could post more along them lines when fans are asking, "why no new signing? why him as a guest? why this, why that?" people would not need to speculate and become cynical.

Social media (facebook, twitter, instagram, the BSF) should all be emrabsed by promoters. Used well it's a far greater ally in their bid to get fans in that it will ever be an enemy. They say attack is the bets form of defence, I dont suggest attacking the fans but get in before they do, answer the questions, give an insight into whats going on. Explain the rule when the fans are questioning it and screaming "foul" - most of the time thats not the fans being trouble makers, its the fans just not knowing and thats sometimes down to unwritten rules! Again, write down ALL the rules and the fans stand half a chance.

Good post SCB! I totally agree that the promoters need to embrace the internet more and get in and explain stuff before the fans start asking! And hear what ex fans are saying, they're the punters they need to get back! As for Bryn telling people to talk to promoters, it's not so easy to find the right time and place to do it on a race night, it's easier to put things on here! They should be happy that busy people bother to care about their business, enough to spend their precious time on here!

Again Tsunami hits the nail on the head, but fails to realise it..

With respect, Bwitcher, you are not quoting him properly. He said "An increasing number of this type of fan ON HERE

Undoubtedly a lot of dyed in the wool fans have left the sport in recent years but they do not generally post on here. The ones Tsunami is referring to are those who can't accept times change, can't accept that the old days have gone, can't accept that the loss of second halves and that the one day off world final is gone for good or that the play-offs are here to stay, and as you yourself have correctly pointed out on many occasions, bleat on about rule changes which only exist in their head because they don't understand what the rule book actually says.

I am not defending the many shortcomings of those who run the sport but I have no time for the mischief makers either, who claim to care about the sport from behind their keyboards but really only want to do it harm.

Many of the things that people bleat about on here are far removed from the real issues that plague the sport. Trees post immediately above this one makes a point worth thinking about though.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 3

Promoters used to be on here regularly putting out press releases, after match reports, explaining club issues etc etc but almost all left because members of this forum had a lack of communication skill and just battered them with blatant rudeness and on occasions aggressive private messages. To which, none of the members seems to receive bans for.

Quite a few of the members on here even use to nit pick at ridiculous things like spelling / grammar mistakes etc which to be quite frank is ridiculous.

I'd love nothing more than Promoters, Managers & riders being able to express a view without immediately being ridiculed.

To an extent, the Mods on here should be tougher and maybe, just maybe they'll return.

• Like 1

With respect, Bwitcher, you are not quoting him properly. He said "An increasing number of this type of fan ON HERE

I understand the distinction you are making but it is mainly just one of semantics.

The number of ' that type of fan' is increasing on here.

But the number of 'that type of fan' is increasing everywhere.

On the Bus.

In Tescos.

At the Job Centre.

In fact everywhere.

Except inside a Speedway Stadium.

Edited by Grand Central