British Speedway Forum

I think Tsunami understands what I meant, and Mister SHOUTY doesn't.

Perhaps you should explain yourself better...................................................................... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh! and I understood what you meant only too well. :t:

Edited by The White Knight

And the soutions are???............................

Have a good think about the sport before you say same again at the Promoters Annual meeting.I Personaly think whoever finishes Top are the champions. perhaps they could alter the league points won to a more radical system to keep interest .Just a suggestion say 10pts fo 10 pt win 9 for 9pt win ect.or something similar to keep interest in every fixture surely something can be thought out.Tin Hat On.I understand Why they want play offs mainly because a lot of teams are out of contention early season if just abog standard points scoring system.
  • Like 3

The word used was was commitment Dave. I pay to watch Riders/Players doing their BEST. Sure sometimes they are off Form but, I expect them to at the very least be try their best. You pay good money to get in to a Speedway Meeting - are you saying that Riders should not give of their best? If that is what you are saying - then I disagree with you totally.

No performing sportsman is trying to break a track record, achieve a PB, everytime they perform,. They are performing to win, nothing else.

Compare the NLRC format against the Under 19 and PLRC format over the weekend, the riders knew that a top 6 finish would qualify for the latter part of the meeting. Olly Allen and Stefan Nielson didn't top score but still won their meetings., where as Steve Boxall and his fellow NLRC riders knew that every race mattered. In the other meetings not every pt did matter, so surely a rider would be trying harder in the NLRC format of a meeting.

No performing sportsman is trying to break a track record, achieve a PB, everytime they perform,. They are performing to win, nothing else.

Have to agree with TWK on this one Dave. I grew up with the belief that you should always - no matter what you do in life - give it your best shot. How can you look at yourself in the mirror if you haven't given your best - or cheated, A sportsman owes it to the fans, the paying public and to himself, to always perform to the best of their ability - otherwise they have cheated the public.

I never reached the top as a footballer during my younger days, but every time I took to the field was special, I loved the game, how could I not give it my best shot. I remember playing a match on a New Years day - I was hung over from the New Years Eve, but that didn't stop me having one of my best games of the season. Can't stand non-performers, when you know they can perform to a much higher standard.

Just my humble personal opinion Dave.

The Mackem

• Like 1

The lighting of the blue paper here was Lord A's observation of how good two matches were on Monday, and that riders were racing out of their skins. He didn't say they weren't trying in regular matches (no professional paid-on-results sportsman isn't trying to earn as much as possible in every event) but that there was exceptional effort being put in.

In a football match, doesn't the professional concentrate harder, run faster and tackle harder in a deadlocked, needle Champions League fixture than he does in a mid-season, mid-table match when his team are three goals up, or down, with ten minutes to play on a wet Wednesday night? I'm not saying he won't still be trying to score, I'm not suggesting he'll be cheating the public, just that he will not be playing at the impossible-to-maintain level he will strive to achieve on the bigger stage.

Indeed, I think anyone who feels this isn't the case is being unrealistic.

• Like 1

.................. So with THAT argument we should not bother going to the "ordinary matches" and just go along for the 'Play Offs'...............................

Obviuosly some people did just that! Lord A mentions that the crowds were well up on usual, so there most be some truth in the statement that some people do save their hard-earned for the play-offs.

Have to agree with TWK on this one Dave. I grew up with the belief that you should always - no matter what you do in life - give it your best shot. How can you look at yourself in the mirror if you haven't given your best - or cheated, A sportsman owes it to the fans, the paying public and to himself, to always perform to the best of their ability - otherwise they have cheated the public.

I never reached the top as a footballer during my younger days, but every time I took to the field was special, I loved the game, how could I not give it my best shot. I remember playing a match on a New Years day - I was hung over from the New Years Eve, but that didn't stop me having one of my best games of the season. Can't stand non-performers, when you know they can perform to a much higher standard.

The Mackem

Strong word and never implied. A performer cannot produce his best everytime he performs. He can raise his game in say heat15, or the final of a championship, finding that bit extra, but he was NOT cheating anybody in previous heats/races. Should a rider use his best engine in every race instead of keeping it for that special meeting when he or his team wants/needs to win. Again not cheating just accentuating your performance for that big event.

So lets get rid of the one thing that appears to making the sport money, is that wise.

Most people I have spoken to agree the Play Off's are a good thing, they keep excitement in the sport till the end of the season, and the Promoters seem to feel that they make money, and there is no doubt that they cause excitement as teams fight it out to qualify for them.

I personally think back to 2011 the last time the Premier League was decided with no Play Off, the season was over by the end of August, and at Sheffield crowds did start to fall towards the end of that season.

The one thing that speedway clubs need to do is make money so would it not be madness to take away the one thing that is guaranteed to make them money.

Speedway does not run on fresh air.

Agree completely, Spinny :approve:

The problem with this question is that far too many are stating their personal preference rather than what is best for the sport itself and they need to forget the former and start thinking about the latter.

In truth, the play off system is all about the additional attendances it pulls in (never seen Wolverhampton as packed as that on Monday) and the gate takings that creates.

For a sport that is largely on its knees where finances are concerned, I'd say it is little less than madness to reject a system that can generate so much additional revenue and for that reason alone - never mind the amazing, cliff hanger ending you can have - the play off system is better for speedway, whatever we might individually prefer.

• Like 4

Agree completely, Spinny :approve:

The problem with this question is that far too many are stating their personal preference rather than what is best for the sport itself and they need to forget the former and start thinking about the latter.

In truth, the play off system is all about the additional attendances it pulls in (never seen Wolverhampton as packed as that on Monday) and the gate takings that creates.

For a sport that is largely on its knees where finances are concerned, I'd say it is little less than madness to reject a system that can generate so much additional revenue and for that reason alone - never mind the amazing, cliff hanger ending you can have - the play off system is better for speedway, whatever we might individually prefer.

yes if they get their heads together and do it properly, after last years debacle.

The Mackem

If you played hungover, you were hardly giving it your best shot were you ? If you knew you had a game you'd have stayed sober.

Obviously cheating the public .... Poor show

• Like 1

yes if they get their heads together and do it properly, after last years debacle.

................................ and this years debacle. :sad: :sad:

If you played hungover, you were hardly giving it your best shot were you ? If you knew you had a game you'd have stayed sober.

Obviously cheating the public .... Poor show

Obviously he did because, as scarletrider said - "he had one of his best games".

Try reading the Post you are replying to properly and you might just Post something sensible instead of rubbish like this. :mad:

................................ and this years debacle. :sad: :sad:

Obviously he did because, as scarletrider said - "he had one of his best games".

Try reading the Post you are replying to properly and you might just Post something sensible instead of rubbish like this. :mad:

In his opinion he had one of his best games ....

My post was tongue in cheek, being accused of posting rubbish by you is about 2358th on the list of things I give a rats arse about.

Anyone who thinks a rider doesn't do his best everytime he rides has never swung a leg over a bike.

It's not tiddlywinks out there