British Speedway Forum

YOU wrote "concurring with my opinion" not me. Anyway, we are going round in circles.

That was with regards to my thoughts on Ford/promoters in general.

Let's move on :)

IT is the question no one (as yet) appears willing or able to answer...

Is this not an excellent opportunity for some investigative journalism by the Speedway Star?

• Like 1

Sigh.

I

NO.

Wasn't the abandoned reason given as moisture leeching out of the track, making an already dufficult to race on surface dangerous....

For what its worth, this can and does happen at that stage of the season/summer-onset of autumn. Its actually quite weird when it happens.. as I have witnessed quite a few times... However, I don't think it would have been a problem the grader couldn't have dealt with for a couple or three more races.. (in my opinion)

Never to Old.

The track was fit for racing at Heat 10 or the they would not have been racing. FACT

The track had not changed for Heat 11. FACT

The meeting was called off after 10 heats. FACT.

That is fixing a result. FACT

No opinions involved. That is what happened on the night and nobody can dispute it... because it is FACT. Your refusal to acknowledge that does you a great disservice.

That was with regards to my thoughts on Ford/promoters in general.

Let's move on :)

NO, just you. :mad:

• Like 1

EXACTLY ... your opinion. At last we agree.

Mine too.

The match shouldn't have gone ahead and it only ran long enough for Poole to get the points they needed then it was abandoned.

Bewitcher is right when he says that's match fixing, because it is.

I think the Darth Vader image of Matt Ford is rubbish too, but incidents like the above tend to suggest that the conspiracy theorists have got a point.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

I have a theory that its in the rules that a meeting result can be called after heat 10 - but it could be a conspiracy on my part?!

NO, just you. :mad:

This must be getting on someone's nerves, as i see "the establishment" has decided to contribute. :D

• Like 1

I have a theory that its in the rules that a meeting result can be called after heat 10 - but it could be a conspiracy on my part?!

It`s also in the rules that only the losing team can ask for the match to be curtailed.
  • Like 1

As I have said before nothing has been decided for definite on Sky sports coverage of Speedway in 2014 but there will need to be some changes. Lets wait and see if these happen and then decisions can be made.

My understanding on British Eurosport coverage of BBL Basketball will be on the same basis of Sky's deal with Netball Superleague the league association like BSPA pay Televideo to produce coverage and provide all OB facilities then SKy just pay a fixed price per programme.

If there was to be any new broadcast partner for British Speedway it is likely to be BT sport who are keen to help fill their midweek summer schedule Speedway fits ideal if the price is right

Ah here he is, once again nothing to contribute to the thread.

My silence has more relevance than your rantings on most subjects. A non supporter who knows how to right the world, yea right.

Still only 'like'ing Dave J. Good contribution :P

It`s also in the rules that only the losing team can ask for the match to be curtailed.

BWitcher will think you are in on the conspiracy now R & R. :D

• Like 1

My silence has more relevance than your rantings on most subjects. A non supporter who knows how to right the world, yea right.

Still only 'like'ing Dave J. Good contribution :P

BWitcher will think you are in on the conspiracy now R & R. :D

Here`s the rule taken straight from the rule book

15.11 After Heat 10 in an official Team fixture, only the Team that is losing may request a track

inspection, or seek abandonment of the Meeting

As I watched the farce on fast forward the following morning-I have to ask did Poole request the match to be called off at that point because if they did that would be against the rules

• Like 1

FARCE is about right. But I wasn't there. Had a chat with Kelvin Tatum about it and his view was that the meeting should never have started. Putting down sawdust and more material on an already saturated track only made matters worse in his opinion.

I have no concrete evidence there was any conspiracy but the fact that the meeting was conveniently called off when Poole were the requisite seven points ahead could only had fuel to the argument that there was.

Afraid that the governance of speedway in general (look at Poland last weekend) these days is pretty poor and undoubtedly one reason why TV companies aren't falling over themselves to cover a full season of domestic speedway in the UK.

But SGP is run perfectly in your opinion?

Here`s the rule taken straight from the rule book

15.11 After Heat 10 in an official Team fixture, only the Team that is losing may request a track

inspection, or seek abandonment of the Meeting

As I watched the farce on fast forward the following morning-I have to ask did Poole request the match to be called off at that point because if they did that would be against the rules

Who knows?

I am really getting fed up and annoyed at some of the things that are happening with Speedway at the moment. :sad: :sad:

• Like 1

As I have said before nothing has been decided for definite on Sky sports coverage of Speedway in 2014 but there will need to be some changes. Lets wait and see if these happen and then decisions can be made.

My understanding on British Eurosport coverage of BBL Basketball will be on the same basis of Sky's deal with Netball Superleague the league association like BSPA pay Televideo to produce coverage and provide all OB facilities then SKy just pay a fixed price per programme.

If there was to be any new broadcast partner for British Speedway it is likely to be BT sport who are keen to help fill their midweek summer schedule Speedway fits ideal if the price is right

Very interesting, thank you. At its heart Speedway can bed an excellent TV sport. Unlike most other motor sport it takes place in a reasonably confined area and thus potentially uses an economical number of cameras. Under lights it is a true spectacle, assuming the lighting is good enough. Against this it does have the vulnerability to weather, but it's not the only televised sport with that risk.

When the sport is good it's superb but it can easily fall to the other extreme. It needs a good racing surface, well-matched riders racing under a workable, understandable and ideally fair structure. Sadly the EL doesn't provide that currently, but it can, providing it takes the necessary steps.

Teams must not be reliant on whether riders have nothing better to do. This does rule out riders with GP or extensive overseas commitments. There must be a good flow of sufficient meetings, the rules must be clear and there must be a common will to use the TV coverage for the common good of the sport.

What happened at Belle Vue must never, ever happen again. Achieving a result at the expense or rider safety and spectator value for money is unacceptable and I'm not particularly bothered about apportioning the blame.

It is possible to pull back from the brink but as ever, the first step in recovering from a problem is acknowledging that you have one.

We saw some some excellent PL meetings this year, principally because the promotions and teams concerned worked hard to make them work.

There were some good EL matches too, but precious few, unfortunately due to too many riders having more tempting offers elsewhere, or if they did turn up using secondary equipment and just using the meetings as paid practice sessions for their more important bookings elsewhere. Most EL matches were a compromise put on by promotions losing money heavily and just trying to find ways just to put the few meetings on that they could afford to.

Of course this desperation's carried through into the TV experience and painful viewing it was.

The question is, is the sport capable of making the necessary changes to keep its rightful place on TV (staged correctly speedway is a TV 'natural'), and can the remaining supporters accept those changes when they come? I do worry, given the constant moans of 'dilution' whenever the sport tries to find a way to live within its means.

Do Ipswich fans think that their speedway has been 'diluted' by joining the PL?.

If we do still have a chance to rescue a Sky deal or attract the very impressive BT, who may find another bike sport a useful addition to its coverage of Moto GP in 2014, then we have to seize it. If changes are needed, make them. Use TV to sell the sport, not show the world how damaged it's been of late.

The GPs and Poland have fatally wounded the EL as we know it now with the European Championship a potential final twist of the knife. We need regular speedway, a damn sight more than 14 matches a season, full teams and good circuits for them to race on. It is possible, but there has to be a genuine will by promotions, riders and supporters to achieve it.

It's time for a two division Premier League, one operating slightly above the current PL level and one at or slightly below the current level. British Speedway cannot keep kidding itself that everything will magically turn right if they just keep finding a way to duck and dodge season by season.

In Britain we seem to be about to see a play-off final between two teams that have bought success but now can't pay the tab while in Poland this weekend we've seen just how damaging a 'win at all costs' mentality can be. What good is getting your way if the cost of the win is the sport itself?

(EDIT - as a tailpiece to my ramblings, I do wonder if it might be a an idea to give the likes of Poole and Torun 'Wild Cards' into their respective play-offs then the rest of the leagues can get on with their seasons without their shenanigans while both cope with the fact that their seasons only begin to have meaning in September ;-) )

Edited by rmc
  • Like 4