British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

Elite League Draft Riders

Absolutely spot-on, whilst the proposals for the young British Riders sounds laudable, it is 100% spin to justify yet another dilution of the Elite League, and how typical of the BSPA to leave everyone guessing as to the allocation of these riders, and to the race format, if they are just going to race each other in two heats, its hardly going to be of benefit surely! - There will almost certainly be a number of British riders currently with greater experience, that will probably struggle to get into a teams 1-5, in 2014, what then for these riders, we will see just how much the BSPA care for British riders at this stage.

This is cost cutting, it maybe necessary, but its still Cost Cutting at the expense of the supporters, so please don't try and say its for the benefit of British Riders, total tosh!

Spot on, did Cook say it was great for these young lads to mix it with Tai? what a lap behind.I want all these young English lads to get a chance and if the sport was run right most of these lads would get PL spots i am all for it.Newcastle have done it with Lawson, Robertson, the Worrals,Kerr, Jacobs( who did well at Glasgow) Greenwood and Bates have mixed it at PL level and a few others have too.But don't take the piss out of the English fan they know this is spin i do so hope somebody like a Andy Smith,Sean Wilson comes out of the woodwork but there will be endless others who have a uphill struggle.

Spot on, did Cook say it was great for these young lads to mix it with Tai? what a lap behind.I want all these young English lads to get a chance and if the sport was run right most of these lads would get PL spots i am all for it.Newcastle have done it with Lawson, Robertson, the Worrals,Kerr, Jacobs( who did well at Glasgow) Greenwood and Bates have mixed it at PL level and a few others have too.But don't take the piss out of the English fan they know this is spin i do so hope somebody like a Andy Smith,Sean Wilson comes out of the woodwork but there will be endless others who have a uphill struggle.

An endless struggle & possibly then lost to the sport for good.

Spot on, did Cook say it was great for these young lads to mix it with Tai? what a lap behind

No Sidney, that's not what Cook said at all. The reading lessons are not coming along very well are they ? Go and check what Cook actually said, instead of what you imagined he said..

• Like 1

No Sidney, that's not what Cook said at all. The reading lessons are not coming along very well are they ? Go and check what Cook actually said, instead of what you imagined he said..

I can debate with the the likes of you all day long it is not difficult , get your head out of your own ass.Did Cook say this? he might of implied that it was a great learning process being in the pits (ect) but please the speedway board don't try to insult us making out they are doing it for the good of the sport.Take a chill pill and don't act all superior Addio, your opinion is no better than anyone else's. Edited by sidney

Yep; I accept your riposte. However you are again falling for the Elite league spin; the fact that they need to cut costs has no relevance to any interest in developing young British talent. The two are totally unconnected but have been positioned by the Elite in such a way as we are expected to believe something like this,

"We have been working hard in the Elite League to find a way to support and encourage young British Talent. We have therefore restructured the competition to ensure that young British riders will be incorporated in to the Elite League teams to provide them with the structure and support required to nurture their skills and talent".

Now I've made that up, but all of the positioning of this change by the Elite has been to make it appear as if this is what they have done. They haven't, they are skint and need to cut costs. To do so they are chucking some kids in the mix and they can sink or swim. This was undoubtedly a proposal thrown on the table at the Elite League AGM without any detailed forethought or planning. They have taken it up and run with it because the Elite League are bereft of ideas as to how to fix the problems they find themselves with. It is a shambles and to believe they are making theses changes for the benefit of British youngsters is laughable!

Totally incorrect.

What did Jon Cook say about it as long ago as last July? It was reported on this forum for those who bothered to read it (although it appears you couldn't be bothered).

What did Jon Cook say in his pre-AGM statement ? Something else it seems you couldn't be bothered to read before lurching into your rant, if you had read it you would know the primary reason for restructuring the league. It was clearly not something thought up on the spur of the moment as you consistently claim.

Nobody has said in any official press release that the primary reason for restructuring is to help young Brits. Having said that, if you had any idea what is going on at the Hagon Shocks Academy(something of which you clearly have no knowledge at all), it would be pretty obvious that something like this was the next logical step, although it has arrived sooner rather than later. It is a great pity that the PL promoters were not able to involve themselves in this scheme at this stage , although for perfectly understandable reasons explained by Jon Cook at the fans forum last week (which you obviously couldn't be bothered to attend ).

I can debate with the the likes of you all day long it is not difficult , get your head out of your own ass.Did Cook say this? he might of implied that it was a great learning process being in the pits (ect) but please the speedway board don't try to insult us making out they are doing it for the good of the sport.Take a chill pill and don't act all superior Addio, your opinion is no better than anyone else's.

I am not offering an opinion , merely suggesting you stick to facts . By quoting something that wasn't said you are putting the debate on the wrong course.

• Like 1

Totally incorrect.

What did Jon Cook say about it as long ago as last July? It was reported on this forum for those who bothered to read it (although it appears you couldn't be bothered).

What did Jon Cook say in his pre-AGM statement ? Something else it seems you couldn't be bothered to read before lurching into your rant, if you had read it you would know the primary reason for restructuring the league. It was clearly not something thought up on the spur of the moment as you consistently claim.

Nobody has said in any official press release that the primary reason for restructuring is to help young Brits. Having said that, if you had any idea what is going on at the Hagon Shocks Academy(something of which you clearly have no knowledge at all), it would be pretty obvious that something like this was the next logical step, although it has arrived sooner rather than later. It is a great pity that the PL promoters were not able to involve themselves in this scheme at this stage , although for perfectly understandable reasons explained by Jon Cook at the fans forum last week (which you obviously couldn't be bothered to attend ).

You really are a card. I don't believe the PL promoters were invited to join the party at all; as with the majority of fans (apart from you), this came from left field. You can attempt to justify the actions as much as you wish but the truth is fairly obvious to any one who is willing to look at this from a neutral viewpoint (something you clearly do not have).

A % of the Sky money should have been invested into young riders, instead of throwing it at overpaid 'superstars'. That opportunity was completely wasted. Its no coincidence that they have decided to encourage the British lads at a time when costs must be cut, and the motives behind it are dodgy at best imo. World beaters wont be produced just because they are riding against each other in the elite lge, world beaters emerge because they are rare talents, like Tai and Loram.

• Like 2

It is a great pity that the PL promoters were not able to involve themselves in this scheme at this stage , although for perfectly understandable reasons explained by Jon Cook at the fans forum last week

What were the reasons given out of interest?

You really are a card. I don't believe the PL promoters were invited to join the party at all; as with the majority of fans (apart from you), this came from left field. You can attempt to justify the actions as much as you wish but the truth is fairly obvious to any one who is willing to look at this from a neutral viewpoint (something you clearly do not have).

1. The general consensus of opinion on the forum seems to be that when a poster resorts to name calling it is because he has no other sensible argument to rely on.. If calling me a card is the best you can do you might as well stop digging.

2.So you don't believe the PL promoters were asked to join the party. Have you spoken to any of them ? If not what are the grounds of your belief (apart from figments of imagination)?

3. You have ignored my comments on pre-AGM announcements so I presume you were unaware of them when lurching into your tirade.

4. I have not attempted to justify anything, In fact I do have certain reservations. I have merely pointed out certain facts which undermine your claim that it was all cobbled together on the spur of the moment, and it

y really is a pity that some people don't check some facts first so that they can offer constructive criticism in a mature debate instead of a tirade based on supposition.

5.Thank you and goodnight

A % of the Sky money should have been invested into young riders, instead of throwing it at overpaid 'superstars'. That opportunity was completely wasted. Its no coincidence that they have decided to encourage the British lads at a time when costs must be cut, and the motives behind it are dodgy at best imo. World beaters wont be produced just because they are riding against each other in the elite lge, world beaters emerge because they are rare talents, like Tai and Loram.

Agreed, but their are now some young kids at the Hagon Shocks Academy that had never ev en sat on a speedway bike until a few months ago but under tuition of Rob Mear some are showing real progress. This is something that should have been done years ago but wasn't, but better late than never. It means giving more kids a chance to start young.

• Like 1

I agree with you entirely but was merely pointing out that if he gets fit & is flying then the team he signs for will have a great advantage.

The situation is the same with Ashley Birks who will also be coming back from a bad injury.

I think this is one almighty cock up & there are so many things to iron out.

So Ashley & Adam may get 100% fit ,start scoring points ,improve as riders,reach the verge of full time Elite status , possibly become internationals in a few years . BUT ...... because they could sign for a rivals club that wont happen ! I reckon anyone who reads this can read between the lines !

When was the draft made as no one has seen it.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/10842847.Ritchings_and_Reade_on_young_rider_list/

RIDERS PUT FORWARD FOR ELITE LEAGUE PLACES: Adam Ellis; Ashley Morris; Ben Reade; Daniel Halsey; James Sarjeant; Joe Jacobs; Josh Bates; Kyle Newman; Robert Branford; Simon Lambert; Ben Hopwood; Ben Morley; Charles Wright; Dan Greenwood; Darryl Ritchings; Jake Knight; Jason Garrity; Kyle Hughes; Lee Smart; Lewis Blackbird; Lewis Kerr; Lewis Rose; Liam Carr; Max Clegg; Oliver Greenwood; Paul Starke; Robert Lambert; Stefan Nielsen; Steven Worrall; Tom Perry.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/10842847.Ritchings_and_Reade_on_young_rider_list/

RIDERS PUT FORWARD FOR ELITE LEAGUE PLACES: Adam Ellis; Ashley Morris; Ben Reade; Daniel Halsey; James Sarjeant; Joe Jacobs; Josh Bates; Kyle Newman; Robert Branford; Simon Lambert; Ben Hopwood; Ben Morley; Charles Wright; Dan Greenwood; Darryl Ritchings; Jake Knight; Jason Garrity; Kyle Hughes; Lee Smart; Lewis Blackbird; Lewis Kerr; Lewis Rose; Liam Carr; Max Clegg; Oliver Greenwood; Paul Starke; Robert Lambert; Stefan Nielsen; Steven Worrall; Tom Perry.

Top stuff this and a clear indicator that the Elite League are doing their own thing and the rest of the sport be damned. They should do better than going public with a press announcement in the local paper. From the way this whole thing has been handled by the Elite League one would assume they haven't had the courtesy to inform the BSPA. Making it up as they go along; pathetic!

Edited by Elephantman

Top stuff this and a clear indicator that the Elite League are doing their own thing and the rest of the sport be damned. They should do better than going public with a press announcement in the local paper. From the way this whole thing has been handled by the Elite League one would assume they haven't had the courtesy to inform the BSPA. Making it up as they go along; pathetic!

What a strange criticism. The sport is far from perfect, but that does seem a bit of an over reaction to, er, nothing at all.

The Elite League promoters are all members of the BSPA. that's what the BSPA is. Speedway promoters. So what are you trying to say here?

And I'm pretty sure the information in the local Swindon paper would have come from a press release. How else would they know?

• Like 2

interesting list... i suppose ronyon isn't included because he is too good to be in this class? might very well be true, but where does that leave him with his 1.85 elite league average?

just shows the reality im afraid, anyone expecting these guys to "mix it" are living on another planet.

3030, is the best anyone can hope for.