British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Save Isle Of Wight

What form of advertising are you suggesting is a must then 'halifaxtiger?' I can vouch for starters in the year you refer to that over 70 separate press releases were each distributed to 40 plus different outlets both on the IOW and nationally.

Every single person going to the IOW goes on the ferries. When I went over, no posters at all on either Wightlink or Red Funnel.

Then there's the IOW tourist magazine that's distributed free on the ferries and elsewhere and tells visitors about everything there is to do and see. No adverts there either (if memory serves me correctly there was a one line mention under sports).

No posters or leaflets in caravan sites (at least there wasn't on the one at Whitecliff Bay where my brother has his caravan) so I presume there were none in hotels or Bed & Breakfasts either.

The sort of advertising I am suggesting is in the places where people who know nothing about the Island will be looking - and that's not in press releases.

• Like 3

Agreed to an extent.

I get fed up every season of reading "press releases" from clubs begging and threatening closure if their current crop of fans don't attend matches or donate money to buy stuff. The fans already contribute enough IMO through admissions, matchday magazines, merch etc, and it's far too easy for a promotion to send out a threatening press release, rather than trying to attract new fans themselves or getting their own finances in order.

Yeah we need more clubs, but constantly crying wolf about closing is getting beyond a joke. Almost as regular as British Gas putting the prices up each winter.

How about using some of the new TV deal money instead? They've gone for a low budget league anyway, so skim the money into an air fence for IOW instead.

Thing is but, if you haven't got it or don't want to subscribe, you don't. That's your choice, and you are not demanded to do so. If promotions didn't tell you of the consequences, and then closed, you might feel inclined to have been advised, that's all. After the losses of the last two years with the weather, you could think we were lucky to still have speedway, so asking for a bit help doesn't seem unreasonable. Especially when you not compelled to help.

Given the current trading situation, and receiving a reduced amount from SKY, and most clubs already having make the effort and bought their fence either now or in the past, why should any money go to the IOW, especially when it as a business that does not seem very viable. If the IOW got it, what about putting the rest of money into keeping Peterborough Speedway going for another team and keeping the venue open for the FIM type meetings in this country. Where does it stop.

• Like 1

I've been to the Island a number of times in the last couple of years, i've seen adverts on the ferry for ......

Garlic farms

music festivals

supermarkets

dinosaur parks

markets

scooter rallys

guest houses

cycle rides etc...... etc

Speedway ? not one mention in any magazine, leaflet or road sign.

it's almost as if a casual visitor to the Island wasn't suppose to know

Very harsh that Dave - we need to be encouraging folk NOT chasing them away.

I sometimes think what you Posted could apply to me too. I have great difficulty with a lot of what is happening in my favourite Sport. Oddly enough, it was partly you who encouraged me to return to Brough next Season, perhaps unknowingly. (Your fault :wink: ). You told me, I remember, "forget all the rubbish around Speedway and concentrate on four Riders hurtling around the Track".

This I am going to try to do.

We need folks, but we don't need enemy's from within, who seem to now have a death wish on a sport that he was employed in to good effect for most of his life. If his love affair with Speedway, and later Stocks, has now ceased, he should just go quietly and pick up on something else. Like a bad apple it/he does effect the rest of us, who are dedicated to the sport and would help in any way for it to continue.

• Like 1

I happen to agree about air fences - or at least think you have a point - but they are mandatory. Any talk of how effective or preferable they are is irrelevant to IOW's survival.

Yes you are correct. I'm just shocked that on a forum that often lambasts the BSPA for things they haven't done (as in wrongly attributed to them) a decision they have made, based on limited science, that will lead to the closure of some tracks and at some tracks possibly increasing the risk of injury, has just been waved through by the forum on the nod!

I've said my piece on it, which will undoubtedly cheer up those who wish to supress genuine debate.

Yes you are correct. I'm just shocked that on a forum that often lambasts the BSPA for things they haven't done (as in wrongly attributed to them) a decision they have made, based on limited science, that will lead to the closure of some tracks and at some tracks possibly increasing the risk of injury, has just been waved through by the forum on the nod!

I've said my piece on it, which will undoubtedly cheer up those who wish to supress genuine debate.

Let's hope you keep your word on it, you're getting boring.

Name one track that is going to be closed because of the purchase of an air fence.

IOW and Peterborough are not. On a 120 gate IOW could not survive even without buying the fence.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

Let's hope you keep your word on it, you're getting boring.

Name one track that is going to be closed because of the purchase of an air fence.

IOW and Peterborough are not. On a 120 gate IOW could not survive even without buying the fence.

I would have done but some nob decided they'd pm me telling me to stop. So up yours delores. I'll post what I wish when I wish in what thread I wish if the comment can be related to that thread.

This thread is another club that are on the ponce for money for an air fence; the question that one should be asked is are there other alternatives types of fence that may be cheaper and not reduce safety for this track. That cannot be considered because of an arbitrary decision made by the BSPA.

So to the Doctor and you Tsunami; gan stick yee heed doon the nettie!

Which tracks are they then, please?

Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?

no but I think his brother Warwick is posting on this thread :)

I would have done but some nob decided they'd pm me telling me to stop. So up yours delores.

forum gerld :)
  • Like 2

I would have done but some nob decided they'd pm me telling me to stop. So up yours delores. I'll post what I wish when I wish in what thread I wish if the comment can be related to that thread.

This thread is another club that are on the ponce for money for an air fence; the question that one should be asked is are there other alternatives types of fence that may be cheaper and not reduce safety for this track. That cannot be considered because of an arbitrary decision made by the BSPA.

Says the boring man who craves for 'genuine debate'. Walk on. :D

But not on this thread !!

Christ almighty man..you need to get life, seriously. You've asked the question hundreds of time, anyone who ever gave a monkeys has long since moved on.

• Like 3

Every single person going to the IOW goes on the ferries. When I went over, no posters at all on either Wightlink or Red Funnel.

Then there's the IOW tourist magazine that's distributed free on the ferries and elsewhere and tells visitors about everything there is to do and see. No adverts there either (if memory serves me correctly there was a one line mention under sports).

No posters or leaflets in caravan sites (at least there wasn't on the one at Whitecliff Bay where my brother has his caravan) so I presume there were none in hotels or Bed & Breakfasts either.

The sort of advertising I am suggesting is in the places where people who know nothing about the Island will be looking - and that's not in press releases.

Some great ideas coming up all of which I hope will sway the decision the right way on Tuesday. I think now the issue has come out onto the forum it is showing how people are willing to help with ideas. Of course they have to be translated into action by someone but at least the ideas are there.

Leaflets should be placed in every tourist attraction on the Island and maybe a deal struck up whereby a purchase to one attraction gets you reduced admission to another.

There is a small advert on page 61 of the Wightlife magazine right down at the bottom but could be easily missed since it seems to blend in with the ones next to it. A thought would be for the Supporters Club to try and fund a full page advert next year if they run. What about contacting former riders(there are some illustrious ones that have cut their teeth around Smallbrook) and ask them to donate one item for auction on ebay with funds going to the Supporters Club to pay for increased advertising.

What about advertising on the TV screens on the ferries - more expensive but for about £2k I think, it appears that you can access a potential of 800,000 pax for three months(June, July and August) with over 400,000 opportunities to view the advert on the 5 ferries Portsmouth to Fishbourne route. It would be better than watching the garlic growing!!