British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
James 12345

Riga Gp Tickets 2014

Testing the track 2/3 weeks ago would not have helped. Making sure the drains were clear 2/3 days ago would have.

Sometimes the best bit about the GP's are the fireworks at the end. We've had a lovely day, interrupted by some average showers, and it all ended at 11-30 with an excellent firework display down by the river. Looking forward to coming back to see more of this lovely City, and hopefully some Speedway next time.

• Like 1

As usual the speedway press defend the backside off BSI

These people have been destroying the sport for years in my opinion, they could not give two hoots about the supporters yet those who pay naff all to go continually defend them.

And they wonder by the sport is dying on its arse

These people have been destroying the sport for years in my opinion, they could not give two hoots about the supporters yet those who pay naff all to go continually defend them.

Pics from Friday show the track only then being laid onto the concrete.....

Pics from Friday show the track only then being laid onto the concrete.....

Those were surely pics after the rain where they were trying to lay a new track, no?

Pretty sure I saw some clips on youtube a month or two ago when the Latvian youngsters were practising on the track in Riga, so there must have been something for them to practice on back then :D

According to the schedule the programme starts @ 12.45, so yes it would seem they are showing it live.

well, it's a hot sunny day today in riga, now heading back to the airport. had a good weekend, just a real pity about the GP - won't be coming back!

Having seen one race at Gothenburg that cost us around six hundred pounds in flights and hotel and also having turned up at Gelsenkirken to find an empty car park an no GP on again at the cost of several hundred pounds and on both occasions just a note on the ticket office door explaining how to get a refund i expected a little more from BSI and a lot more in the way of sympathetic viewpoints from Speedway Star and got nothing. I could also mention the ridiculous Stockholm GP that saw us stuck on coaches being ferried elsewhere but of course on each of these occasions it wasn't the organisers responsibility.

Chris you are of course right especially the "could not give two hoots about the supporters" comment. But of course those who pay naff all won't make any adverse comments as they are careful not upset their paymasters who are keen to maintain their undeserved squeeky clean reputation

Edited by westhamboy66
  • Like 6

Am I mistaken or has this stadium in Riga previously hosted speedway?

I know that the track had to be laid afresh as it had been concreted over a while ago, but I thought that it had hosted speedway back 10 or 15 years ago. If it has then it really isn't THAT different from Western Springs.

That is correct, neither the track or arena is new, just refurbished/renovated.

PUTTING my hands up to be shot at but...

heavy rain here now (13.20 local time). Huge logistical hurdles being overcome to move the whole operation to Daugavpils. Five hours to de-rig TV stuff, then four hour drive... riders loading up and heading off ... frantic efforts to find accommodation and change flights ... chaos.

But it was the right and only decision ninth end. Riders felt that the track was not fit for racing and that wouldn't change even if the weather was kind, which it isn't.

Feel very sorry for Vladimir Ribniks the local promoter who has made such a huge effort to put Riga on the speedway map. Obviously there will be an inquest and maybe things could have been done better with the benefit of hindsight. But rider safety is paramount and that was the deciding factor.

TRACK was the responsibility off the local promotion and subject to inspection by the FIM. They actually declined the offer of having Ole Olsen lend a hand ..

Given the rain that was forecast, and has now materialised, it was deemed impossible to ensure that the track would be fit by tomorrow. Daugavpils the safer bet.

IT was yesterday about the time they decided to dig out the inside line round bends one and two, which they did, turned the material over and re-laid it through the night. Sadly their efforts were only partial successful and this morning it was felt that the track still needed several hours of dry weather to allow it to bed in. That was never going to happen (and didn't) and the riders told Tony Olsson (FIM) and Paul Bellamy (BSI) that in view of the impending weather there was no chance that the track would be rideable either today or even tomorrow.

By early afternoon the track was under water after a deluge and there has been more rain since. People with much more knowledge of these things than me suggest that if the weather had been dry all week the track, much of which was solid, would have been okay but it was not to be.

BUT BSI are not responsible for every aspect of a Grand Prix. They are the commercial rights holders but the FIM still have a role to play ... they licence the track, issue safety certificates, appoint officials, and much more. FIM officials actually make the decisions about the tracks and it was they who determined that on this occasion it was potentially dangerous and therefore unfit. It is a joint operation but I would agree that there are some grey areas which need closer examination.

Obviously BSI have greater control over the events they promote themselves than others. But on this occasion the onus would have been on the local promotion to present a track and stadium fit for purpose and in accordance with the rules and regulations of the FIM as quite clearly laid down in a comprehensive manual first put together by Olsen when the SGP came into being.

THAT'S my lot for tonight ... leaving Riga for Daugavpils at 7am in the morning along with Kelvin Tatum, Nigel Pearson and Chris Louis. Won't get a word in edgeways!

Interesting info Phil thanks for that.

It does leave one problem for BSI. Was it too much rain or was the track not fit for purpose?

If the former (which appears to be the way its being portrayed), then the promoter could claim that the meeting was called-off against their wishes over a day before the deadline (Sunday afternoon). Now in terms of getting the GP on that may well be the best (by a long way) chance of success. But not many speedway meetings of this level with the man power available are cancelled so far in advance. Last year at Cardiff an example of the state of a track with 24 hours to go.

The promoter wasn't given this chance. A weather forecast being a prime reason for a cancellation with the financial implications to the promoter is dubious to say the least. Better for BSI yes, but not the promoter. The impact on him is probably worse than being cancelled on Sunday, especially if it was chucking it down it the reasons obvious to all.

It's interesting that BSI offer the GP's and write the contracts, but don't appear to be able to insist on the FIM being involved in track prep. We've heard more than once of help being offered and the local track refusing.

This is one of the reasons i,m going to Stockholm (indoor track)...bad enough having a rain off in this country (GB) but im not paying hundreds of pounds not to see any racing!!

• Like 1

If im being honest i wouldnt even be that certain about an indoor event being totally safe!

This is one of the reasons i,m going to Stockholm (indoor track)...bad enough having a rain off in this country (GB) but im not paying hundreds of pounds not to see any racing!!

That's what the fans who went to Gelsenkirchen thought too...

• Like 1

That's what the fans who went to Gelsenkirchen thought too...

I couldn't even begin to imagine what would go down if it happened at Cardiff? :shock::D