British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Robert Lambert Mouthing Off In The Star. Oh Dear.

You might be right in what you say,but give the Lambert's a bit of slack eh!.You do seem to be on there case he is BRITISH you know!! a bit of SUPPORT wouldn't go amiss.

The Lamberts can have all the slack they want, they've done very well in getting their son additional track time and experience, nobody is knocking them for that at all. Good luck to the lad.

However, little point 'supporting' a rider because he is 'british' if he doesn't want to race for his country. Not that I believe that will be the case for one moment down the line.

is Lambert's only issue with the BSPA the rule on age limits, or is there anything else which has caused this attitude?

If the former, then I agree that he's acting like a petulant child, whcih i guess he is.

however, i certainly don't think the smart thing ould be for the bspa to react by penalising him in anyway. give it a couple of years and it should all sort itself out, hopefully he will be fulfilling his potential, and representing the uk in wtc and GPs.

the most talented sports people often have egos or other issues to match (i'm thinking your lees, wards, tiger woods, ronaldo in NZ kayaker Ben Fouhy, hadlee, crowe etc) - and it can just be a case of living with that, so long as their performances are good enough.

obviously it is very early days in lamberts career and he could end up being the next PC/Tai Woffinden, or he could be the next Edward Kennett. I know i'd rather see him in the GB team in three years time than the latter, so fingers crossed he lives up to his promise, in which case I'm sure we can all put up with the odd tantrum in the intervening years.

The Lamberts can have all the slack they want, they've done very well in getting their son additional track time and experience, nobody is knocking them for that at all. Good luck to the lad.

However, little point 'supporting' a rider because he is 'british' if he doesn't want to race for his country. Not that I believe that will be the case for one moment down the line.

The late great England and Belle Vue star Jack Parker once said to me - it must have been in1953 - "the trouble with so many up-and-coming young riders is their parents!"

I wonder if that applies in the case regarding the Lamberts which is now under discussion?

Some people might think they are the same-however this has nothing to do with the BSPA -it is the Speedway control bureau who administer the rules and have on their board, members from other motorcycle disciplines plus the auto cycle union(ACU).

• Like 2

Questions for iris123

How is it possible to judge if a 14yr old is strong enough to face top class speedway?

Maybe you are asking the wrong person this question as i wasn't the one who brought strength up.I just suggested a competence test,something which it seems they have in the Netherlands we have been told.For me like i said if they can ride a number of heats at a given speed and what i think should also be compulsory is to be able to lay the bike down at a given signal.There is nothing to suggest someone suddenly gets stronger on their 15 birthday

The late great England and Belle Vue star Jack Parker once said to me - it must have been in1953 - "the trouble with so many up-and-coming young riders is their parents!"

I wonder if that applies in the case regarding the Lamberts which is now under discussion?

This is also the great Jack Parker who told his brother whilst the young Ronnie Moore was sitting next to them to "tell your boy if he doesn't back off then i am going to kill him"!!!!

And that is where i do tend to agree with the very good point Vince bought up.It is a lot about the attitude of the other riders.How do they cope with a "young upstart" who comes on the scene and beats them.Jack Parker and a few of the other stars of the day didn't take too kind to the teenager Ronnie Moore showing them the way home.It seemed some riders in modern times didn't take too kindly to the female from Denmark Sabrina Bogh beating them.I was told there was little or no problem from local riders,who were used to women racing,but when she moved onto the international scene then rider from eastern Europe didn't like getting beaten by a woman and went out to get her.Maybe the more relaxed atmosphere in germany is better suited to a 14 year old staring out.

I'd guess i am one of very few on this thread,on this forum that has witnessed 14 years olds racing speedway.I am one of a few that witnessed Robert Lambert as a 14 year old riding against guys 4,5 or 6 years older than him and he made minced meat of them.But i guess you just have to wonder about the incident last night and if a rider had have kicked Lambert when he was on the track that could well have caused a major incident.You can't compare speedway with driving on the roads,because if that incident last night had happened on a street then someone might....should have ended up in prison.In speedway or in many other sports the law of the land doesn't apply.But imo the people who should not be on the track are those who "fence" or attack a fellow rider and not someone with a special talent

In speedway or in many other sports the law of the land doesn't apply.

Don't know which land is being referred to, whether it be Germany, Irisworld or somewhere else, but the law of the land applies to all sport in the UK.

Whether victims of assault on the sports field choose to press charges is a different matter but the law applies.

Yet another attempt to get out of the hole results in it getting deeper. :party:

If RL refuses to ride in the GB U21 as he states in the interview even though it would no doubt antagonise him even more. Would he get a ban ?

Don't know which land is being referred to, whether it be Germany, Irisworld or somewhere else, but the law of the land applies to all sport in the UK.

Whether victims of assault on the sports field choose to press charges is a different matter but the law applies.

Yet another attempt to get out of the hole results in it getting deeper. :party:

Obviously it doesn't as YOU pointed out that normally you have to be 21 to ride a 500cc :rofl:

Obviously it doesn't as YOU pointed out that normally you have to be 21 to ride a 500cc :rofl:

Really ? Can you point out where I said that ?

If you can't show us all where I said that (and I know you can't because I never said it ) then once again we can all see that dear old Iris, when short of facts resorts to making them up :wink:

If RL refuses to ride in the GB U21 as he states in the interview even though it would no doubt antagonise him even more. Would he get a ban ?

why should he get a ban?? Surely in a free country he can make that choice.
  • Like 1

why should he get a ban?? Surely in a free country he can make that choice.

Not saying he should get a ban but he's been seeded through to the final so is possibly in breach of some ruling by refusing to ride.How for instance do the ACU look upon refusal to ride in a British championship which at the end of the day comes under their jurisdiction.

Really ? Can you point out where I said that ?

If you can't show us all where I said that (and I know you can't because I never said it ) then once again we can all see that dear old Iris, when short of facts resorts to making them up :wink:

No i made a mistake it wasn't you it was SCB that stated it.Doesn't change the fact that if he is right then the law states you have to be 21 to ride a 500cc.

As for the rest,well i pulled you up about a comment you atributed to me.Unlike myself or like i said before credit to BWitcher he also admitted he was wrong,you never came up with the evidence or an apology.Say's all i need to know about you as i guess neither the evidence or a retraction/apology will be forthcoming ;):rofl:

No i made a mistake it wasn't you it was SCB that stated it.Doesn't change the fact that if he is right then the law states you have to be 21 to ride a 500cc.

No, he didn't say that. Have another go.

No, he didn't say that. Have another go.

Go find me the evidence or give an apology and then you can make demands.Until that time you will be labelled a "liar" :t:

As for the rest,well i pulled you up about a comment you atributed to me.Unlike myself or like i said before credit to BWitcher he also admitted he was wrong,you never came up with the evidence or an apology.Say's all i need to know about you as i guess neither the evidence or a retraction/apology will be forthcoming ;):rofl:

It's staggering how you resort to arguing over points that actually go totally against what you are arguing for.

Case 1: You have a pop at me for bringing up Australia as having the same restrictions as the UK.. when in actual fact they are more severe.

Case 2: You are having a pop about the law in the UK stating you have to be 21 to ride a 500cc motorbike.

Both of these things go totally against your argument that a 14 year old should be allowed to race competitively on a 500 cc machine.

You wouldn't be much use in a debate, here's a tip, you need to look for things to support your argument ... not fight for those that destroy it!