British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Robert Lambert Mouthing Off In The Star. Oh Dear.

Sour taste at 15 is a poor attitude,just because he's raced and beaten a few Germans won't count for a lot ,poor advice given regarding the article.wish him well though.It won't be a game changer him not want to ride for GB IMO

Sour taste at 15 is a poor attitude,just because he's raced and beaten a few Germans won't count for a lot ,poor advice given regarding the article.wish him well though.It won't be a game changer him not want to ride for GB IMO

Actually he also beat a rider who was briefly Berwick's number 1 and a rider who is going to be a GP rider this season, don't under estimate the lads potential.

Actually he also beat a rider who was briefly Berwick's number 1 and a rider who is going to be a GP rider this season, don't under estimate the lads potential.

WOW!!!

To me the Star has set him up for a fall here with their criticism.I wonder if they have done one or two pieces criticizing Horton or Ford etc recently?Did the Star do a big article taking Darcy Ward to task or one highlighting Lindbäcks alcohol problems a few years back?Things far worse than what a youngster has to say to someone looking for a story.I do also think he shouldn't come out with some of the things he seems to have said,but.........more often than not youngsters are treated on ability in many things especially at school.You'll get the more intelligent children pushed on.You will hear of youngsters taking exams a year or two before other kids of their age.You will also find some talented youngsters in the Olypics competing against people far older.

It is ok to point out Dilger and Busch as Germans who have started out on a 500cc at 14 and not achieved much,but on the other hand both Dryml brothers also came to Germany to get round rules in their country and one or two here will tell you just how good one of the brothers was before an unfortunate accident.Two sides to every story and it is not one size fits all.Some youngsters are just far better at an early age.His parents thought it more suitable to his ability to be riding against better riders than he would have done in the British youth championships.I'd guess Camo Heeps and Brady Kurtz's parents thought it an advantage for their children to ride a season on 500's in Denmark before they could do a season in GB

I have met the family and talked to them and must say i found them very pleasant without any big heads at all,but they did feel a sense of grievance towards the British authorities and funnily enough were a bit upset at the time by an article in the Star about Robert and that was well over a year ago.So it seems nothing has been done to build bridges.

Quite a shame to see so many adults on here taking exception to something someone so young has said and seemingly out to 'teach him a lesson'.I'd say the sport has bigger problems than this

• Like 3

To me the Star has set him up for a fall here with their criticism.I wonder if they have done one or two pieces criticizing Horton or Ford etc recently?Did the Star do a big article taking Darcy Ward to task or one highlighting Lindbäcks alcohol problems a few years back?Things far worse than what a youngster has to say to someone looking for a story.I do also think he shouldn't come out with some of the things he seems to have said,but.........more often than not youngsters are treated on ability in many things especially at school.You'll get the more intelligent children pushed on.You will hear of youngsters taking exams a year or two before other kids of their age.You will also find some talented youngsters in the Olypics competing against people far older.

It is ok to point out Dilger and Busch as Germans who have started out on a 500cc at 14 and not achieved much,but on the other hand both Dryml brothers also came to Germany to get round rules in their country and one or two here will tell you just how good one of the brothers was before an unfortunate accident.Two sides to every story and it is not one size fits all.Some youngsters are just far better at an early age.His parents thought it more suitable to his ability to be riding against better riders than he would have done in the British youth championships.I'd guess Camo Heeps and Brady Kurtz's parents thought it an advantage for their children to ride a season on 500's in Denmark before they could do a season in GB

I have met the family and talked to them and must say i found them very pleasant without any big heads at all,but they did feel a sense of grievance towards the British authorities and funnily enough were a bit upset at the time by an article in the Star about Robert and that was well over a year ago.So it seems nothing has been done to build bridges.

Quite a shame to see so many adults on here taking exception to something someone so young has said and seemingly out to 'teach him a lesson'.I'd say the sport has bigger problems than this

I didn't think the Star was being that critical, the article is simply an interview where he revealed his thoughts and attitude.
  • Like 1

Sounds like a Poole rider of the future. :D Took Ward a good few years to mature, as I recall. Then again he was a Poole rider Shovvy so he couldnt have possibly been a jumped up little s41t.

Provided he stay as a German he has a chance of getting into Poole. If he declares himself British he's got no chance

• Like 1

Comparing taking an exam to riding a 500CC motorbike with no brakes is ridiculous. There is no comparison.

This country has rules and regulations in place (as do many others) and they have to be followed. It is extremely foolish and naïve if the Lamberts feel those rules were in place to hold them back.

All credit to them for finding a way to fast track his career, nobody is going to criticise them for that.

• Like 2

He really should be riding for team GB in the near future, put him in with Bridger, Cook and Baby Ben.......going to fit in just fine!

• Like 1

Comparing taking an exam to riding a 500CC motorbike with no brakes is ridiculous. There is no comparison.

Of course there is.Most kids are not ready to do things at a certain age and a special few are.No matter what we are talking about.Ales Dryml snr who was a decent rider himself obviously thought his kids were ready and it seems he was probably right.There is also a very talented young rider from Russia who has been riding in germany the past couple of years as his parents obviously feel he needs the challenge and is ready.....

What is ridiculous is to say all youngsters mature or are ready at the same age

Edited by iris123

Of course there is.Most kids are not ready to do things at a certain age and a special few are.No matter what we are talking about.Ales Dryml snr who was a decent rider himself obviously thought his kids were ready and it seems he was probably right.There is also a very talented young rider from Russia who has been riding in germany the past couple of years as his parents obviously feel he needs the challenge and is ready.....

What is ridiculous is to say all youngsters mature or are ready at the same age

No there isn't any comparison at all.

There are no rules/regulations regarding the age of taking exams such as A Levels/GCSE's.

There ARE rules/regulations regarding the age required to race a 500CC motorcycle.

By your reckoning, some kid who has been stealing cars and joy riding since he was 10 should be allowed to take their driving test at 14 because they are 'good at it'. Or another child can buy alcohol at 14 because he has 'matured' early.

By your reckoning, some kid who has been stealing cars and joy riding since he was 10 should be allowed to take their driving test at 14 because they are 'good at it'. Or another child can buy alcohol at 14 because he has 'matured' early.

Now you are just going off on one.Obviously someone who has been stealing anything is breaking the law of the land and should be punished :nono:

Now you are just going off on one.Obviously someone who has been stealing anything is breaking the law of the land and should be punished :nono:

No, it is signifying that however good they may be at driving due to extensive practice, they are still not allowed to obtain their license till the required age.

As was the case with Lambert.

It´s really quite simple. He hasn't been picked on, he hasn't been victimised.

• Like 1

No, it is signifying that however good they may be at driving due to extensive practice, they are still not allowed to obtain their license till the required age.

A driving licence and breaking the law is a bit different.Even at the age the BSPA say Robert can race a 500cc he can't get a licence to ride a 500cc on the roads can he?

I guess they thought speedway rules are so often bent and ignored they had a good case for them as well.Looking at the videos or Robert beating Smolinski a couple of years back and a few others including Zabik it does seem he was ready and able to handle a 500

As for being picked on and victimised,well some on here seem to be calling for such treatment.It is not something that is going to help the situation.

Does the ACU not have a rule to make an exception? Over here in NL they do.... if you show the federation that you are capable to ride a 500cc bike then they will give you a license. Ofcourse you can then only ride in your own country..... I remember some Dutch kid trying to ride in Germany (longtrack) last year, and they refused him on the race day to compete because he was too young. They did accept his entry form, but forgot to look at his DOB lol ....

That is one of the things at the heart of this problem.Speedway so often has exceptions due to special circumstances.If i remember right this is what the lambert family thought could have happened but was blocked by someone........

That is one of the things at the heart of this problem.Speedway so often has exceptions due to special circumstances.If i remember right this is what the lambert family thought could have happened but was blocked by someone........

Or thoughtful and reasonable rules, as in this case.

• Like 2