British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Not quite sure what will happen regarding this season , but I hope that the Brummies return next season as a Premier League Club.

• Like 1

So you are saying there isn't sufficient money within the individuals who are the BSPA to keep it open?

Russell, Ford, Mole, etc. The money could be found if they wanted to.

Has Phillips trod on a few too many toes and is he, therefore, being taught a lesson?

Would it be the first time that has happened?

Why should others who "have kept their house in order" contribute - if that's what you are suggesting. If it's done JUST once it sets a precedent if similar happenings arise.

Strange that a journalist of your background in the sport should feel the need to ask members of a forum (that you are always denigrating) for information about someone who has been working as a promoter for over 20 years and, as others have said, has been involved in the resurrection of many previously defunct tracks.

I have not worked in mainstream SPEEDWAY journalism since 1962. Just played around on the fringes since then. Too busy in the realms of working in local journalism. I had never heard of Tony Mole until September 2005. I happened in the Wimbledon car park just after Ian perkin had been told by the GRA that the plug had been pulled on speedway's future at Plough Lane. He said, "I have been on to Tony Mole for his advice." I didn't like to ask Ian who he was at the time, I meant to later on, but more important events in South London took precedent over windering who Tony Mole was.

Although earlier this season he said he took no interest in the GP`s and the European scene-so I presume we can add the British scene to that list-shame he didn`t promote in New Zealand or USA as Gustix would have known all about him.

The only speedway promoter outside the UK that I have any contact with is Jason Bonsignore at Champion Park, New York State. I haven't the faintest idea who promoters are at tracks anywhere else in the world. It's bizarre that you think I do know or have contacts in other countries.

Why should others who "have kept their house in order" contribute - if that's what you are suggesting. If it's done JUST once it sets a precedent if similar happenings arise.

I have not worked in mainstream SPEEDWAY journalism since 1962. Just played around on the fringes since then. Too busy in the realms of working in local journalism. I had never heard of Tony Mole until September 2005. I happened in the Wimbledon car park just after Ian perkin had been told by the GRA that the plug had been pulled on speedway's future at Plough Lane. He said, "I have been on to Tony Mole for his advice." I didn't like to ask Ian who he was at the time, I meant to later on, but more important events in South London took precedent over windering who Tony Mole was.

The only speedway promoter outside the UK that I have any contact with is Jason Bonsignore at Champion Park, New York State. I haven't the faintest idea who promoters are at tracks anywhere else in the world. It's bizarre that you think I do know or have contacts in other countries.

Basically Tony Mole is to British Speedway that Ole Olson is to Danish Speedway.

He's promoted and ressurected more speedway clubs than I guess you have had hot dinners.

I'm as surprised as anyone you haven't heard of him. Ian Thomas and Graham Drury have/had worked for him for many many years at the various tracks he has owned.

Some clubs that people haven't mentioned.

Mildenhall and Belle Vue.

He tried to ressurect Bradford recently too.

Edited by Deano

And he was involved at Stoke too. He tends to open up tracks or take over failing tracks, get them into a good position and sell them on before doing it again elsewhere.

Yes but what did the Romans ever do for us ?

Edited by semion
  • Like 3

I have listened to the interview again... and I see where you're coming from... Mole appears to change his statement when pushed further by the interviewer.

Didn't realise Tony Mole was the one on trial here ? What's his crime "trying to rescue the Brummies" ?
  • Like 4

Tony Mole also saved Hull at the end of 1997 / beginning of 1998 (I forget which), selling the club on after, in his own words, he "was made an offer he couldn't and didn't refuse"....

I listened to the whole of the interview, I'm afraid Tony Mole didnt come across to clever, he was very evasive when asked questions by Mark Regan. I appreciate he's only honourary President of the BSPA (and I'm afraid they didn't come across too good either) therefore he said he had no knowledge of what was said.

I think the whole business stinks, were still none the wiser now what with all the "he said, she said" shenannigans.

One thing did strike me though, Why was TM offering to buy the Plant, would it be for Cradley by any chance?

I listened to the whole of the interview, I'm afraid Tony Mole didnt come across to clever, he was very evasive when asked questions by Mark Regan. I appreciate he's only honourary President of the BSPA (and I'm afraid they didn't come across too good either) therefore he said he had no knowledge of what was said.

I think the whole business stinks, were still none the wiser now what with all the "he said, she said" shenannigans.

One thing did strike me though, Why was TM offering to buy the Plant, would it be for Cradley by any chance?

. There will be a few others after the plant that's for sure..........

So pleased that I'm not the only one to see through Mr. Mole's rhetoric.

When put on the spot, his responses appeared shady, unconvincing and somewhat contradictory.

Despite his previous commitment to British Speedway, and Birmingham in particular, some misguided folk on here perceive him to be The Messiah.

This is 2014. The goalposts have moved.

How misguided. How very, very misguided.

That's right give that chancer Tony Mole a wide birth,what does he know about promoting/resurrecting speedway clubs anyway,best to stick with Alan Phillips or any others in the long queue waiting to bring back the Brummies !
  • Like 3

One thing we have to think about here is, Tony Mole is very good at resurrecting clubs. He's also very good at selling them to the biggest donkey's going for the biggest buck with no thought of their future. The man isn't God, just constantly making the best dollar for himself.

• Like 2

One thing we have to think about here is, Tony Mole is very good at resurrecting clubs. He's also very good at selling them to the biggest donkey's going for the biggest buck with no thought of their future. The man isn't God, just constantly making the best dollar for himself.

Good for him! It's call business. But he wouldn't make any money if he closed clubs down would he? Why shouldn't he be rewarded for saving clubs?

Clubs in many sports are guilty of living beyond their means, football is rife with it, but at least there's always something to aim for, promotion, avoiding relegation, various cups, european qualification, local derbies, all stuff to keep the fans interested and hungry. Speedway on the other hand seems to just exist without most of the above, so what are clubs and their promoters aiming for to get so much in debt?

If the crowds were worse even though they topped the EL then they should have read the signs and dropped down. Could have kept most of the team too.

Good for him! It's call business. But he wouldn't make any money if he closed clubs down would he? Why shouldn't he be rewarded for saving clubs?

That's a very close minded statement. Tony Mole should carry some of the can for selling clubs to blatant donkey owners. May be goodfor him but the way he goes about his business is horrendous for the sport.

If you name all the clubs he'd saved, how many are still alive?

• Like 3

That's a very close minded statement. Tony Mole should carry some of the can for selling clubs to blatant donkey owners. May be goodfor him but the way he goes about his business is horrendous for the sport.

If you name all the clubs he'd saved, how many are still alive?

Well as a regular spectator at Station Road that is a Housing estate now :(

• Like 1