British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Just to put the record straight. There was no confrontation when a group of us (about 15 in all) assembled outside Alan Phillips' office this morning. Mr Phillips had been tipped off by some unknown person, that we were coming and a policeman was present (apparently at the request of Mr Phillips although we don't know that for certain.)

We explained to the police officer that our intention was to present Mr Phillips with a letter from the supporters' club asking him to do the decent thing and pay off his debts rather than leave them for someone else to pay off. He accepted the letter without comment and then said much the same things as had appeared in the Speedway Star article - ie that everyone but himself was to blame for the demise of the club, and ending by saying that his face "didn't fit" as far as the BSPA were concerned.

None of us were happy with his explanations or his claims but at no time did the situation become threatening or abusive, and before we dispersed, the police officer thanked us for the way that we had conducted ourselves and remarked that it was the calmest and most peaceful demonstration he had ever been at.

So Mr Phillips was tipped off by an unknown person according to BBuck.

Yet the 15 who attended must have arranged between themselves to turn out at the office?

But in BBucks words Mr Phillips was tipped off?

So who would have tipped off Mr Phillips?

The 15 would have known they were delivering a letter on be half of the supporters club... yet Mr Phillips was tipped off???

What does Deano and his freinds think?

Dear Sir. I think you have to get to the roots of the discussion - before casting doubt on parts of the public who from history made something from nothing, the crux of the matter is that many,many have short memories and wish to denounce the efforts from the past - yet now want to abuse......... but let them.....

You talk as though you are the founding father of speedway in Birmingham. I always thought that it was Tony Mole that got the Brummies to the start line in 2007, but you seem to think that it was you that made "something from nothing" to use your words.

Why not illuminate the ladies and gentlemen with a potted history of who you are and what you've done to bring speedway back into Birmingham, so that the people on BSF can get to know you a bit better? Then maybe they can understand better, your posts.

• Like 1

You talk as though you are the founding father of speedway in Birmingham. I always thought that it was Tony Mole that got the Brummies to the start line in 2007, but you seem to think that it was you that made "something from nothing" to use your words.

Why not illuminate the ladies and gentlemen with a potted history of who you are and what you've done to bring speedway back into Birmingham, so that the people on BSF can get to know you a bit better? Then maybe they can understand better, your posts.

Sir myself or Tony Mole were not the founding fathers of speedway in birmingham, if you know your birmingham speedway history you will know who was.

Regarding your second commentt - I refer you to the current Brummiesspeedway forum and its web master,

Thirdly I can state which Birmingham promoters / clerks I worked for over the past but its boring now.

More interesting - please tell us about yourself and your history re Birmingham Speedway ....

With the debts racked up, it sounds more like he's come from the Ed Balls school of economics, whereby you spend what you don't have and leave others to pick up the tab.

I suggest that you get your facts right old chap.

Osborne and the Tories had borrowed more in their first three years (and this has continued) than Labour did in thirteen.

Meanwhile, the National Debt for the UK has increased; whilst economic output has declined.

I can refer you towards the relevant information (provided via the impartial Office for National Statistics if required).

• Like 5

its boring now.

Well spotted.

I suggest that you get your facts right old chap.

Osborne and the Tories had borrowed more in their first three years (and this has continued) than Labour did in thirteen.

Meanwhile, the National Debt for the UK has increased; whilst economic output has declined.

I can refer you towards the relevant information (provided via the impartial Office for National Statistics if required).

Oh oh, Politics Alert!!

You may think me a humourless old fool .

Ok, you're a humourless old fool! :D

• Like 2

If Only Alan Phillips could have followed a role model like Prudence Brown. :D

C'mon You Brummies lets have a bit of postive spin on things going forward. Ok you have had a massive kick in the gonads, but come next March there has to be a fighting chance that you will be watching your team in the Rhubarb and custard again.

I wonder what sponsors 'Selco's' views are on all this, after all, being associated with the disastrous failure of the Brummies can only be bad PR for them.

One expects they would distance themselves very quickly from that failure.

I wonder if Phillips is their accountant :D

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

Just read the interview in this weeks Star. Interesting stuff and obviously Peter Oakes was allowed to see some of the figures. However, it seems strange that given the figures bandied about that the sticking point eventually was £9,924.95 in unpaid rent to the GRA, which was fairly small compared to some of the other numbers. I look forward to the Star giving other involved parties the right to reply in next weeks issue.

On another note, of all the pictures the Star must have on file of Middlo, why pick the one they did on Page 2? Maybe they wanted one of him looking the worse for wear to accompany the downbeat, negative vibe of his comments in the article.

LEGALLY - each Limited company is a seperate legal entity, belonging to the shareholders. There is nothing stopping one or two shareholders owning several or many limited companies. Therefore, there is nothing illegal about Alan and Charles Philips being sole shareholders of Birmingham Brummies Ltd (or whatever it was called) AND Phillips Fantasy Accounting Ltd AND Whatevertheywant Ltd etc The minimum capitalisation needed to open a new limited company is just £100. That's all the shareholding needs to be. After that what assets it accumulates, or what debts it racks up are a seperate issue. One company can be cash rich and "reward its directors" with flashy new cars, whilst at the same time another company could owe loads of money and maybe go bust. They are two seperate legal entities, and are only linked by common director with his share ownership.

Each of those limited companies will have books that will monitor all cash comings and goings. You can't just do bank account transfers between two companies, however if a company is very profitable and has cash to splash, it could "buy an investment" in one of the other companies, or it could buy a cheap product at a hugely inflated price (there are no laws that govern what price cheap tat has to be sold at) or the cash rich company could pay its director a dividend, which that director could invest into the debt ridden company. All very legal, and all very objective, as there are laws which govern these things. Bear in mind too that Philips, being an accountant will be best suited to how to make his money work best for him in these circumstances.

What's MORAL, HONOURABLE, and DECENT - now that's another set of questions...and one that begs subjective answers, no two of which will ever be quite the same.

Thank you Martin.

So I could be right in thinking then that money coming in can be spread (cleverly and legally) amongst business A, B and C while all the outgoings can be put onto business D? Business D becomes a dead loss eventually and gets liquidated, Business E then appears!

:nono:

Edited by Deano

Well spotted.

Oh oh, Politics Alert!!

Ok, you're a humourless old fool! :D

I kind of asked for that - didn't I? :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 2

Just to put the record straight. There was no confrontation when a group of us (about 15 in all) assembled outside Alan Phillips' office this morning. Mr Phillips had been tipped off by some unknown person, that we were coming and a policeman was present (apparently at the request of Mr Phillips although we don't know that for certain.)

We explained to the police officer that our intention was to present Mr Phillips with a letter from the supporters' club asking him to do the decent thing and pay off his debts rather than leave them for someone else to pay off. He accepted the letter without comment and then said much the same things as had appeared in the Speedway Star article - ie that everyone but himself was to blame for the demise of the club, and ending by saying that his face "didn't fit" as far as the BSPA were concerned.

None of us were happy with his explanations or his claims but at no time did the situation become threatening or abusive, and before we dispersed, the police officer thanked us for the way that we had conducted ourselves and remarked that it was the calmest and most peaceful demonstration he had ever been at.

He may not have been tipped off Brian. He knows he's unpopular and perhaps had some forsight to think someone may do damage to his property. That policeman could have been most days. It just happens he was there that day and Phillips is using it to try and divide the fans into thinking he was tipped off.

I think he was probably telling porkies again.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

Sir myself or Tony Mole were not the founding fathers of speedway in birmingham, if you know your birmingham speedway history you will know who was.

That tells me nothing. Before my time and I don't care.

Regarding your second commentt - I refer you to the current Brummiesspeedway forum and its web master,

I wasn't asking him, nor do I intend tracking him down, and nor I suspect will anyone else on BSF. That's not a helpful answer to those people contributing from Kings Lynn, Swindon, Glasgow, or anywhere else beyond the Birmingham horizon.

Thirdly I can state which Birmingham promoters / clerks I worked for over the past but its boring now.

Correct - boring, and I don't think I had asked about that anyway.

More interesting - please tell us about yourself and your history re Birmingham Speedway ....

Just a Joe Soap in the stands who's paid his money to see the sport decline.

Edited by The Pedaler
  • Like 7

That tells me nothing. Before my time and I don't care.

lol, you're on a hiding to nothing mate. If you can translate gibberish then your ahead of me. ;) You'll never get a straight answer, one has to question why? He knows his history, just something happens between brain and fingertips trying to put it into words. Que more gibberish and lots of quoting and re-quoting himself.

• Like 2

Thank you Martin.

So I could be right in thinking then that money coming in can be spread (cleverly and legally) amongst business A, B and C while all the outgoings can be put onto business D? Business D becomes a dead loss eventually and gets liquidated, Business E then appears!

:nono:

Hi Dean

If "A Ltd" supplies a product/service, and receives money for it, it has to be receipted and will appear in the books that HMRC will inspect for taxation reasons. I don't think it's legal for "B Ltd" or "C Ltd" to receive money for products / services to be supplied by "A Ltd"

Nothing to stop "A Ltd" having outgoings / costs / expenses e.g. directors remuneration, accountants fees, other business expenses, etc, that rack up whilst the sales do not cover the outgoings....Just a matter of time then before someone calls time and brings in the receiver / administrators / liquidators to wind the company up.

Any form of transfer of money from one company to another, is liable to taxation, e.g. Income tax from dividends, or VAT from a sale of a product, so the more you make money do the rounds, the richer George Osborne will get, and the more the value of the cash in your bank will diminish.

Being specific to the Philips case, it's quite probable that his accountancy business is flourishing, and likewise his BCTG colleges could be doing really well too. They won't get dragged down the plug hole just because of the speedway. Each company that Philips owns has to stand on its own two feet. As a parallel to this, the money you put into your pension fund will go towards investing shares in a range of companies on the stock market. Some companies will do your pension fund a power of good...on the other hand, some of your money may well have gone into UniPart Ltd. Unipart ceasing trading won't affect the investments made by your pension fund in other companies.