British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickthemuppet

World Cup Final 2nd August 2014

I understand why people say we should "blood" the young riders and throw them in the team.

But why should thet get into an international team?

If they are the best we have put them in, if the best we have are all 39 years old put them in!

what a pathetic response! Rosco did better than Middlo FACT!!! Now run along

As above.

2004 Middlo SILVER medal.

If you're going keep posting anti-poole crap, trying getting your fact right.

Edited by pugwash
  • Like 1

lots of comments around 'lack of overseas opportunities' for our lads and how that effects them at this level due to the difference in track sizes...

however surely the fifty yards to the first corner is nothing more than a 'drag race' and as its a straight line is the same regardless of track, and gb were last to the first turn, even when having the 'best gates', the vast majority of time.

maybe giving them a chance by being able to gate is what should be worked on before worrying about a lack of foreign opportunities...

and maybe just being able to keep yourself in the race by the time you reach the back straight would 'naturally' improve results??

Edited by mikebv

As above.

OK. Rosco did better this year than Middlo did last year.

Hardly fair to compare with the team of 10 years ago.

Never really had a problem with Middlo being in charge, but he lost me when he picked Eddie Kennett at Kings Lynn last year.

Ben Barker, Craig Cook, Richie Worrall etc should be looking at one league here (EL) and getting positions abroad but I can't fault them for getting money locally and ending up in their own bed each night as its decent money ...... but that's not the way to be as good as you possibly can be

But they cant get places in Sweden or Poland because they arnt good enough

A chap said to me the other day that when you look at a British riders style,its all wrong and he is right

Take a head on picture of Emil,Holder,Darcy,PUK etc,coming down the straight,it looks like a proper,fast comfortable style

then take the same picture of the Next generation,Masters,Fricke,Douglas,MBJ,MJJ, ETC and again,poetry in motion

Now take same picture of Cook,Nielsen etc,all to cock on the bike,up right position,legs all over the place,awfull

We simply dont have the ability of rider with the mental application to make it,with the odd exception

They have all spend to long learning how to ride speedway on tight pokey little dumps,turning the bike,up right position,shutting off to enter the corner etc

Stick them on the big fast open tracks where the speedway Big events seem to take place these days and they simply get found out

If you were a bookie you would be a poor one at those prices. ..... Australia could mix it but Denmark and Poland looked the better bets before had so if you had put £1000 on each you are gaurenteed to get either £3000 or £3500 back within a few hours

Australia won the most races ............ but finished third

That's probably why I'm not a bookie. The emphasis was to try and put the top three countries into some sort of relevance. with GB being a distant 4th.

As above.

dear me get a grip! If your not clever enough to get what people are saying then don't comment! Completely different pool of riders back then, we are comparing last year to this and quite clearly Rosco did better then the twitter clown. But yes it's totally anti Poole to compare the facts from last year to this! Laughable pathetic response from a Poole fan. Have a pop at everyone else that's saying it then.

Brilliant meeting and sensational last gasp win for the Danes courtesy NKI - awesome ride :party:

I'm not mad on the joker but it sure made a helluva meeting, and if you're going to scrap the joker you may as well scrap the tac subs too - theyre both there to keep the meeting alive and tonight was a prime example of it.

Yes GB did well to even get in the final but honestly, Harris should've helped Tai a bit more surely? Didn't expect much from the others tbh, but nobody else to pick really. Hopefully Rosco's 5 year plan isn't the same one that Rob Lyon had or the position could be vacant again....

Just allowing GB riders to compete in the Euro Championships would be a start :blink:

To be fair I think Rob had the vision and the plan,just the controlling authorities didn't share the same.

• Like 2

If you really are that thick to suggest its anti Poole then you ain't all there mate. Same set of riders Muddlo got 7th it's fact.

What a cracking Meeting. Thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle on a sensational race track. It didn't bother me which country won, but would have to say I took great joy seeing NKI bring the bacon home. Fabulous ride from a awesome rider. . Obviously pleased for Mads to be part of the winning side. Yeah, I know he struggled at times, he was always going to be racing in this company, But his fight for second with Darcy was pivotal in the final counting's.

Having read through all the pages , god, there is some rubbish posted on here. I'm under no illusion of the standard of our riders, and am aware we linger way below that of foreign countries. To me it make little difference what position we are placed . Be it 4th , 7th or 10th we are light years behind in everything we do. It would depend on the opposition on how good we really are.

Riders like Woffy and to a lesser extent Bomber have achieved their status themselves and have received little or no help from our authorities whatsoever. Personnel on the BSPA cant agree on simple things like, how the structure of the league is run. what chance have the riders got, when all decisions made at the head table are based on personal benefits.

My biggest gripe is that I can't see it ever changing. With so many problems in our sport how is it ever going to be possible, to induce the much needed new blood, when the cost to get involved is astronomical. It is because of this I take a more distant but relative view of the sport. I like to see exciting races, I like to see top riders, just because they are of foreign nationality it make little difference to me.

Its silly wasting ones time, dwelling on something that never going to change.....

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 3

But then Denmark would have won last year and Poland this so still one each.

But yes it's a silly thing to be doing at the top level of the sport.

Niamh

as the old saying goes - 2 wrongs dont make a right.

As above.

TEN years ago so a whole generation of riders ago so not comparable.

Good meeting with a couple of brilliant races, especially heat 20.

My only gripe is Denmark win having played the joker. An exact mirror image of last year when Poland won in the same circumstances. Crap rule, get rid of it. The very fact its called 'joker' tells you all you need to know.

Bydgoszcz always provides great racing. Cant understand why the crowd was poor. Home country has a great chance of winning, every prospect of good racing, beautiful weather.

Agree good meeting and a great track,is there some kind of boycott regarding Bydgoscz with the Poles, they like their Speedway you would have thought the place would have been packed out.Strange one.Some edge of the seat racing and a great finish to the meeting.

as the old saying goes - 2 wrongs dont make a right.TEN years ago so a whole generation of riders ago so not comparable.

Oh they do.

I am no fan of them but you have to ask yourself what is in it for the BSPA to fund test matches etc for a British team to get experience abroad? Morally they should but for buisness no and speedway is a buisness. What it needs is a company to fund the national team

I watched the edited highlights at 1030 last night. I suppose King Lynn last week gave me unrealistic expectations.

I found myself questioning what two 2nd division riders were doing in the final, but genuinely couldnt think of who might replace them.

"Seven times British Champion" Scott Nicholls was the only one who came to mind.

In fact, whoever they put in would seem to be a bit like the reserve system in the Elite league this year, just building up their confidence and experience. Why Simon Stead then ?

Perhaps because he rode there in 2008?

I dont think the big fast continental track is an excuse. Kings Lynn,where they won last week, is only 6m shorter than Bydgoszcz but the track record, according to what I have read, is 2.5 secs quicker.

What was obvious from last night is that Woofie aside, not one of the team made the first corner even close to the lead.

Is that down to inferior equipment and lack of confidence stemming from unfamiliarity with the racing line?

I am pretty sure if it was raced at Birmingham (RIP) then Danny King and Chris Harris would be mixing it up with Pedersen and Hampel

• Like 1