British Speedway Forum
SCORPIO

Genuine Question In Relation To King's Lynn Speedway

I have asked this question twice now on both the official and unofficial twitter feeds but have had no response so am wondering if anyone on here knows the answer. In recent years I've only been to King's Lynn for the World Cup and have been subjected to what amounts to bully boys refusing to allow drinks or even a chocolate bar into the stadium. What I want to know is, is this just for the World Cup they do it or do they employ this tactic every week. It was especially worse on Saturday just gone, one of the hottest days of the year, couldn't take in tour own drinks and limited facilities available to purchase a tea or coffee whilst making announcements about drinking plenty to stay hydrated.

Another question, how does this sit with discrimination because this policy effectively discriminates against those that might need to drink to take vital medication and to make them have to queue and pay for something that they have no choice but to take in my book is wrong, very wrong.

• Like 2

it appears to be a fleece em for all its worth tactic to me. i see no reason why, on a hot day like that, they could treat people in that way. yes, cinemas do it, but its known before leaving home, when has speedway ever advertised this policy? i have never heard of it

I believe there are notices around the box office and turnstyles at Lynn forbidding food and drink being taken in, however I've never seen or heard of them searching bags for a Stars meeting.

Edited by Gordon Bennett

They wouldn't be allowed to stop you taking food/drink in for medicinal purposes.

Edited by Islander15

Never had a problem at STARS matches. In this instance believe the "bully boys" that you refer to are contracted by BSI not by the stadium owner.

• Like 2

the stadium owners would of been aware of that, and could quite easily of made a notice to everyone a week in advance

I went to a friendly football match at Ipswich 10 years ago versus a top Italian Team in August. It was a very hot day and I had a medical condition. I bought a Coke at the bar there at roughly twice the supermarket price . When I went to take my seat I was told you cannot take a drink with you. you can only drink it in the corridor.So I could not drink it and watch the match. I have never gone to a match since after seeing 500 matches there

Berwick Speedway also prohibit food & drink being taken in to matches.

IIRC, this restriction was introduced by the current Promotion there.

I've been to many football stadiums and I've never heard of not being allowed to take food in.

Bottles cans and alcohol have always been prohibited. I just checked Wembley's website and food is permitted, thats a pretty major venue!

I went to a friendly football match at Ipswich 10 years ago versus a top Italian Team in August. It was a very hot day and I had a medical condition. I bought a Coke at the bar there at roughly twice the supermarket price . When I went to take my seat I was told you cannot take a drink with you. you can only drink it in the corridor.So I could not drink it and watch the match. I have never gone to a match since after seeing 500 matches there

Really ? That's what stopped you going after 500 matches ? Come on..

It's the norm at many grounds around the country now.

Would be interested to know what medical condition it was, but realise you probably wont tell me.

I've been to many football stadiums and I've never heard of not being allowed to take food in.

Bottles cans and alcohol have always been prohibited. I just checked Wembley's website and food is permitted, thats a pretty major venue!

I was searched at Cardiff and was told I had to hand two bottles of fruit juice over.

I just said "hang on a minute", opened the bottles and swigged half out of each of them in front of the Guards and then chucked them in the nearest bin. There was absolutely no way that the Officious Security Guards were going to get any 'freebies' off me.

• Like 2

As far as I am aware it's similar at all other major venues.

you class k.lynn as a "major venue"