British Speedway Forum

Wards biggest problem throughout his british career has been Middlo. He was a young impressionable lad in a strange country who was in desperate need of a father figure type to keep him on the right track. Sadly Middlo seemed to want to be his friend rather than manager and with no one to rein him in Ward went off the rails. I know its a strange thing to say about a 50 something bloke but Middlo strikes you as rather childish and immature and certainly not someone fit to guide a young career

• Like 9

Trouble is, many of us have had a 'skin full' and driven the following day. How do we know whether we would have failed a breath test? In my opinion, at worst, he would have had a bad meeting and not been a danger to other riders. I wonder what would have happened if the Moran brothers had been tested just before a meeting? Also, I heard stories about a rider, no names, falling out of the van when the passenger door was opened and was due to ride! He was under the influence. No one was hurt and I believe he had a reasonable meeting! Times have changed I understand, but he is a young man and deserves a bit of slack, in my opinion.

Seems to me he has had so much slack that the string has now broken.

• Like 1

Yes no doubt Ward and plenty of others all get away with it regularly - not disputing that.

And yes HE knew he'd made a mistake and admitted it and has faced the consequences with the ban today. With a longer ban tho' how will it help him to curb his drinking before meetings if he has no meetings? If his state of mind is as suspect as people suggest it would probably make him drink even more - what he needs is guidance - not to be made an example of.

what rubbish if he doesn't learn from a lengthy ban he never will. He's had plenty of guidance in the past and its done nothing. Edited by sm00th

Alcohol limit for a rider at meeting is: blood alcohol concentration of 0.10 g. "P1. ALCOHOL¨(page 67);

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/6572010_ang_ANTI-DOPING.pdf

This is to take into consideration the amount of naturally occurring alcohol in the body caused by the action of naturally occurring yeasts converting sugars to alcohol & carbon dioxide, but essentially there is a zero alcohol tolerance

• Like 1

What a waste, absolutely no excuse, he should have the book thrown at him for his own sake if nothing else.... Flawed genius but also an utter pleb.

How long will his sponsors and blind supporters stand by him if he's doesn't grow up.

What a waste, absolutely no excuse, he should have the book thrown at him for his own sake if nothing else.... Flawed genius but also an utter pleb.

How long will his sponsors and blind supporters stand by him if he's doesn't grow up.

He is only 22! I still remember what I was like at 22 and if I had been a speedway rider at 22, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have been in bed the night before a meeting, in a different country, tucked up in bed with cocoa!

• Like 2

Wards biggest problem throughout his british career has been Middlo. He was a young impressionable lad in a strange country who was in desperate need of a father figure type to keep him on the right track. Sadly Middlo seemed to want to be his friend rather than manager and with no one to rein him in Ward went off the rails. I know its a strange thing to say about a 50 something bloke but Middlo strikes you as rather childish and immature and certainly not someone fit to guide a young career

you seem to forget Darcy first UK Club was Kings Lynn maybe if he'd stayed he wouldn't now have these problems who knows but as things have turned out it was the best bit of business the Chapman have done off loading him to Poole .
  • Like 1

Its wrong what hes done. He will be punished accordingly, but I would like to make a few points;

1. Im obviously a pirate fan so this will be biased.
  2. Hes made a mistake, hes been on the tv and admitted it. Havent we all cocked up at some time. As supposedly all fans of the sport, shouldn't we be supporting, rather than slagging?
  3. Dunno how some teams [obvious by your profile pictures] can call him. You need to have a look at your history lads and lasses.
  4. Calling Middleditch is out of order. This isn't his argument. Despite what hes said, it isn't him whos done the deed. Calling for licence suspension is just out of order.
  5. Cajolling others to like a post isn't speedway or gentlemanly.
  6. His suspension from Elite League would obviously benefit teams pushing for the play offs. You know who you are.

Its wrong, im not denying it. But the bad reaction isn't what this sport is about

He is only 22! I still remember what I was like at 22 and if I had been a speedway rider at 22, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have been in bed the night before a meeting, in a different country, tucked up in bed with cocoa!

But you are a wally even now never mind at 22.

In the real world a glass or two of wine or a couple of beers would not have been an issue but to stlll be in his system by midday darcy will have had a sight more than that and/ or been still drinking into the early hours.

I doubt his career can be saved from here, for sure a ban will result

• Like 3

you seem to forget Darcy first UK Club was Kings Lynn maybe if he'd stayed he wouldn't now have these problems who knows but as things have turned out it was the best bit of business the Chapman have done off loading him to Poole .

Absolutely, right now Darcy doesn't have a resalable value.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/11414978.Speedway_Grand_Prix__Ward_ruled_out_of_Latvian_Grand_Prix_after_failing_alcohol_test/?ref=var_0

Middleditch told the Daily Echo: "There are mitigating circumstances for Darcy which will come out over the next few days."

Mitigating circumstance for this type of offence do not exist , there is no excuse at all for drinking and driving , and certainly none for drinking and racing speedway . I suggest Middlo saves himself the bother of making a fool of himself and accepts like everyone else that he did it ,got caught and will suffer the consequences .

• Like 2

It seems like Teams & sponsors will always stand by the likes of ward,Suarez & other bad boys.

I have to agree with what scott said earlier,maybe a long ban will sort him out one way or the other.

Edited by robert72

Not condoning Ward in the slightest but probabaly happens quite a lot in all Leagues.

it more than likely does but only a fool would do it at a gp where you will more than likely be tested