British Speedway Forum

I agree that this has taken far too long to be sorted, however I can only assume that the Poole management believed that Darcy would get away with no ban (cant see why myself) as they obviously felt no replacement would be needed.

It just goes to show how high their opinion of themselves really is!!!

It was plain stupid not to plan a replacement and 'what goes around....'

• Like 2

Is that really your question, or do you mean "Is it procedure to take a blood sample if riders fail a BREATH test, a subsequent properly taken blood test would quickly either clear or determine a riders intoxication"

If so, maybe that's why you haven't had an answer?

The same question, correctly phrased, has been asked at least four times on this thread without response.

I cannot believe Matt Ford, who let's face it is always ahead of the game when it comes to replacing riders, didn't have a back up plan.

I have no idea what was going thro the heads of Poole's management but maybe they thought, as did a more than a few on here, that Monster might be attempting to pull some strings. Given that Poole have had quite some success in this department over the years domestically they thought Darcy was home and dry. Really cannot believe otherwise, Ford is far too cute for that.

• Like 3

Getting away from the punishment debate for a moment I thought I'd look up the possible effects of the alcohol content found in Darcy's blood (breath) test.

The following is only a Wikipedia entry so take it as you wish, but if correct then you can see why a rider would be stopped from racing.

Progressive effects of alcohol[2] BAC (% by vol.) Behavior Impairment 0.010–0.029

• Average individual appears normal
  • Subtle effects that can be detected with special tests

0.030–0.059

• Mild euphoria
  • Relaxation
  • Joyousness
  • Talkativeness
  • Decreased inhibition
  • Concentration

0.06–0.09

• Reasoning
  • Depth perception
  • Peripheral vision
  • Glare recovery

0.10–0.19

• Over-expression
  • Emotional swings
  • Anger or sadness
  • Boisterousness
  • Decreased libido
  • Reflexes
  • Reaction time
  • Gross motor control
  • Staggering
  • Slurred speech
  • Temporary erectile dysfunction
  • Possibility of temporary alcohol poisoning

(The blue bits are Wikipedia's not mine!!!)

It is also worth mentioning that 0.10/L means a motoring offence in virtually all countries that have limits.

Edited by lastword

There is an interesting comparison here with a certain footballer who went round biting opponents. On the first occasion his club made the similar sort of "excuses" we heard regarding Darcy. However, on the second occasion, they got rid. This guy was a big,big star apparently but not bigger than the reputation of the club, Liverpool, or the league. Pity Mr Ford did not emulate said football team and let everyone know that the club and the sport is bigger than any one rider, not matter how good he thinks he is.

• Like 3

DESOLATE team boss Neil Middleditch was unsparing in his criticism of Poole Pirates captain Darcy Ward who was today suspended indefinitely from all speedway.

The Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) issued Ward with a blanket ban some 11 days after his failed alcohol test prior to the Latvian Grand Prix.

Ward's case has been referred to the FIMs International Disciplinary Court with the Australian star unable to compete before they reach their verdict. There has been no indication as to how long that could take.

Middleditch pulled no punches over his talismans actions and also launched a scathing attack on the FIM after their delayed decision over Ward left Pirates no time to find a suitable replacement.

Pooles team manager revealed that promoter Matt Ford had exhausted all suitable options in his quest to replace Ward before the Elite League deadline for re-declared teams passes at midnight.

Pirates will now have to manage with guests as they seek to successfully defend their top flight crown, a prospect Middleditch insists should have been avoided.

Speaking exclusively to the Daily Echo, Middleditch said: I dont condone Darcys actions at all and he needs to be punished but their (the FIMs) handling of the case has been diabolical and very amateurish.

If they were going to suspend him they should have done so straight away which would have given us the chance to get something in place.

Were in the business of trying to win the league and this is a massive blow to us. You just cant replace someone like Darcy Ward, its not that simple.

Im devastated that the title race could slip away from us now. Were not throwing in the towel and will keep fighting but our options are limited.

I feel sick to my stomach. I feel so disappointed in his (Wards) actions. He has been in enough trouble in the past and should have learned his lesson by now.

Hes let me down personally and hes let down the club, the supporters and himself. He could potentially have been world champion this year and now that he has lost that opportunity.

Hes a grown man and should know what he cant do. He knows the rules and now hes being punished for it. I dont know how far over (the alcohol limit) he was but he was. Thats the bottom line.

Its a crying shame because the kid is one of the best talents I can remember seeing on a bike but dare I say it, hes wasting it.

On Pooles next step, Middleditch added: I think were looking at guests. The riders we wanted were not available, didnt want to do it or were focused on the Grand Prix as their main goal."

Blimey, that is a bit different from what he said at the time.

Thought that too. Maybe because the excuse mitigating circumstances Ward claimed to have weren't so mitigating after all, his landlord is trying to save face.

• Like 1

He didn't ride enough meetings which is why he's still on assessed 8 points!!

Wouldn't that now change like Piotr Pawlicki average was.

So Ward's been suspended (finally) and it seems that Poole have been unable to get a suitable replacement. Do Poole get a guest facilty for him or would it be a PL 6 pinter? :neutral:

So Ward's been suspended (finally) and it seems that Poole have been unable to get a suitable replacement. Do Poole get a guest facilty for him or would it be a PL 6 pinter? :neutral:

guest facility as not their fault he can't ride

Ok. I do not have access to the averages. Maybe MF will drop 2 riders to fit Holder / Hancock with A.N.Other.

Would mean dropping magic or pawlicki for a three pointer, so would make no sense.

Ok. I do not have access to the averages. Maybe MF will drop 2 riders to fit Holder / Hancock with A.N.Other.

Would mean dropping magic or pawlicki for a three pointer, so would make no sense.

I'm sure most people on the forum feel sorry for Middlo and Ford.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :blink:

Mr. Middleditch says :-

"Hes a grown man and should know what he cant do. He knows the rules and now hes being punished for it. I dont know how far over (the alcohol limit) he was but he was. Thats the bottom line."

You and Mr. Ford also know the rules and have known this for nearly two weeks now. As you say, it doesn't matter how far over the limit he was, the fact is he was, end of. He is a disgrace to Poole and Speedway and the management (You) should have sacked him and then you would have had two weeks to find a replacement for him.

Sorry, Mr Middleditch, you have gone down in my eyes.

Middlo should have said this earlier - but crucially he didn't. What he did say, it is alleged, is that he (Middlo) hoped that he (Ward) would 'get away with it'.

Obviously he has seen the light.

Edited by The White Knight

PL 6 pinter? :neutral:

Lol very clever :)
  • Like 5

.....Yerropes....No one wants to see even more guests.. :nono:

Especially if it is a rider from a team fighting for a place in the play-offs helping a rival team. Makes the whole guest rider thing a mockery. Oh.....wait a minute.....it is anyway.

• Like 1

So Ward gets his comeuppance at last. Fortunately the ban comes direct from FIM. I have no doubt that had it come from a lesser body Poole and Ford would have pulled some stunt to nullify it.