British Speedway Forum

An increasing number of otherwise fit and healthy young people are suffering heart attacks and it's being linked to energy drinks. The one causing most concern? Monster! If i was a sportsman it'd be the last thing I drink.

Me too SCB, I would rather have 6 or 7 pints of Stella!..........oh doh!

• Like 1

Fact 1: if I have had one too many last night and get breathalysed today I would lose my licence and not be able to work in my present job for probably 5 or more years because of companies being unwilling to pay the extra insurance costs. Shelf stacking in a supermarket would be beckoning and everybody would be correctly thinking that it served me right.

Fact 2: The court may fractionally reduce my fine if the were some truly exceptional circumstances. The minimum ban is fixed and would not be changed.

Fact 3: I would think I had been bloody stupid for having a drink. I wouldn't think my problem was not drinking enough water to help mask the effects.

• Like 6

An increasing number of otherwise fit and healthy young people are suffering heart attacks and it's being linked to energy drinks. The one causing most concern? Monster! If i was a sportsman it'd be the last thing I drink.

Damn that Greg Hancock!! Such a poor role model for young riders!!!! :nono:

and lets not forget the Hampels and Sayfutdinovs and others of this world who take Red Bull!

ps I hear the Man from Del Monte is lined up as a wildcard at a future GP.

Edited by Skidder1

When he was being interviewed at the meeting and he was explaining he had some really bad news, he didnt look like he had some really bad news, and the lines where he said he should have hydrated seemed well rehearsed.

If later, as Phil Rising says, he was distraught then just maybe it was sinking in what he had done and the reality of what may be coming. Bring it on, no excuses will do from him or any of his ill advising cronies.

Damn that Greg Hancock!! Such a poor role model for young riders!!!! :nono:

and lets not forget the Hampels and Sayfutdinovs and others of this world who take Red Bull!

ps I hear the Man from Del Monte is lined up as a wildcard at a future GP.

Do the sponsored riders actually have to drink the stuff, or are they simply obliged to hold the can up for the press and sometimes pretend to drink it?

• Like 2

People mature at different times in their life and no-one can really force another person to stop this or that if they are intent on doing it. Other riders consumed alcohol the night before this GP but in moderation and will have made sure they ate a big brekafast/lunch to ensure all alcohol had passed through. It's food that helps the body dissipate alcohol quicker than water or any other liquid. Random testing for alcohol, when it's not expensive to carry out, should be changed to compulsory. If the GP had taken place on Saturday night of course then this wouldn't have happened. I don't condone his behaviour but it's a real shame for the sport - what a weekend.

• Like 2

I would not be so suprised if they have just water or some other liquid in the bottle.... if not then I'm sure they have some special sponsor deal with their local dentist as well I suppose lol.

• Like 3

People mature at different times in their life and no-one can really force another person to stop this or that if they are intent on doing it. Other riders consumed alcohol the night before this GP but in moderation and will have made sure they ate a big brekafast/lunch to ensure all alcohol had passed through. It's food that helps the body dissipate alcohol quicker than water or any other liquid. Random testing for alcohol, when it's not expensive to carry out, should be changed to compulsory. If the GP had taken place on Saturday night of course then this wouldn't have happened. I don't condone his behaviour but it's a real shame for the sport - what a weekend.

As someone else on here alluded to, you do wonder whether Darcy was singled out for a test, as a result of a tip off. The way Scott Nicholls put the 'boot in' during his commentary........who knows?

• Like 2

No the riders don't have to drink the stuff its just a liquid holder with a sponsor on so the camera can pic up on.

• Like 1

As someone else on here alluded to, you do wonder whether Darcy was singled out for a test, as a result of a tip off. The way Scott Nicholls put the 'boot in' during his commentary........who knows?

But then again, why would you waste a test on Greg or Nicki when Darcy is nearby... ;)

So now it's a conspiracy by those in charge against Darcy too. No doubt they have done it as they're "Poole hater" right? LOL

and why not?

as has been said a few times, if he went out on the track he would possibly a danger to other riders. One would never know unless an accident was to happen..... do you, or anyone really want to find out that way. I would like to think the answer is no. So if someone has tipped of the "powers that be", full marks to that person..... it could have saved someone from serious injury or worse.

He surely is being misguided through these youthful years, and no its not the things young ones today do (as classing them all together). I know loads of youngsters of his age, and younger, who do not go out just to get sozzelled. They know how to have a good time without getting drunk.

A good friend, a true friend, should have had a word with Darcy before he took to alcohol and simply said "you had some bad news mate, but this is not the way to deal with it, lets go and talk it over".

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 2

People talk of the amount drank as if it is of importance. If you kill a man with one shot or kill him with four the number is inconcequential, the end result is the same. One drink, four drinks, makes no difference knowing your future and others depend on certain standards.

• Like 3

This shows they they do do random tests and are not just picking on Darcy as some seem to be claiming.

This was Nicki's result from SWC meeting. Not the only time he has posted this sort of thing either this year

https://twitter.com/nickipedersenDK/status/495600241249615872/photo/1

Can see why they don't test everyone as it can't take very long. I remember years ago doing the Sysdney Harbour bridge climb and the first thing they did was breathalyze everyone. If you failed you weren't allowed on. On this you are tethered to the bridge and so fairly difficult to fall unlike charging around quickly on a small track at high speed.

• Like 1

This shows they they do do random tests and are not just picking on Darcy as some seem to be claiming.

This was Nicki's result from SWC meeting. Not the only time he has posted this sort of thing either this year

https://twitter.com/nickipedersenDK/status/495600241249615872/photo/1

Can see why they don't test everyone as it can't take very long. I remember years ago doing the Sysdney Harbour bridge climb and the first thing they did was breathalyze everyone. If you failed you weren't allowed on. On this you are tethered to the bridge and so fairly difficult to fall unlike charging around quickly on a small track at high speed.

I know we would all be nervous to have to give a breath test, as there is the 'you are never 100% sure', but the fact Nicki posted his negative result, may suggest he was a bit bum twitchy!

• Like 2