British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dump that clutch

Kings Lynn V Swindon - 27-08-2014 @ 19:30

Current World Champ Tai Woffiden was riding where at the age of 16 ? IF, and its a blooming big IF, Lambert could trap at least level with the other riders, on a consistent basis then he would have an average way ahead of where he currently is. Will he be able to trap ? Who knows.

• Like 1

When Tai Woffinden was that age you could see that Tai was going to be a top top rider. With Robert I don't see that I see Robert as a good GB rider but nothing more and in Robert's scores the stats kind of back me up here yes I know its Robert's first EL season and that Robert is only young but Robert is riding against PL riders in two of his races in some meetings. I just feel with all the hype around Robert you would expect Robert to win the races Robert should win but Robert seems to be struggling a bit.

Funny that my early memories of Woofy were him falling on his backside quite a lot. Something I think I've only seen Lambert do once, and then he was helped a bit.

• Like 1

I remember seeing Tai Woffinden at 16. He was dynamite. Really looked fast and good.

I also remember seeing Michael Lee and Darcy Ward at that age and you just knew they were heading for the top. Jason Crump was another.

Robert Lambert is doing very well for a kid his age, although you don't get quite the same feeling that you instantly had with those 4 for example.

Of course there's more to it than how good you are at 16. Ivan Mauger is a good example of that.

Lambert clearly has a good future ahead of him though because he is still better than your average 16 year old.

• Like 1

Tend to think of Lambert as more of a Bridger than a Lee/Ward, but time will tell.

• Like 1

Don't see Lambert as a Lee, he was a one off and not seen anything as good as he was at 16.

The boy can't gate, in Speedway of course that is a massive issue. Will that part come ? Who knows. If it does then Lynn will have a special talent on their hands, if not then maybe more a Chris Harris type, who has to do it all the hard way.

Woffinden rode PL so maybe it made him look better than he was at that point, Lambert is in the EL

• Like 2

He's not the next Michael Lee nor Darcy Ward. He's Robert Lambert and he's 16 FFS.

Sure, he can't gate for toffee but my god he can mix it up. Lucky to have a talent like him at KL.

Edited by pointsmeanplayoffs
  • Like 3

Tend to think of Lambert as more of a Bridger than a Lee/Ward, but time will tell.

Hopefully only because he's gone straight into the EL, don't want him to resemble Bridger in any other way. Would like to think he has better guidance and a more screwed on head than that.

I think it was GRW who asked when was the last time Lambert won a race. Not sure if it was the last time but I saw him win at about 2100 hours on 4th August at Belle Vue. As GB says he has nearly doubled his average (albeit an assessed one). What more can you expect? MIracles?

You appear to be another fan who can see no wrong in Robert Lambert. and rave about him each time he rides. But like I said I expected more from him this year. You talk about him doubling his average but he could have achieved a 6 CMA just by beating our own and the opposition FTR. That's not taking into account 2nd strings or heat leaders. The fact that his CNA is only 5.49 tell everyone he is not even achieving that. Had he rode this year as a FTR, he would have had easier opposition, rode in more races and his average would have soared. Like I say his Achilles heel is his starting. I find it difficult to understand why he is so bad. Surely when something as important as gating, he has to improve. If he could trap, I have no doubt he would double his scores with ease.

I try to speak as I find. I am not blinded by the fact he's only 16 . Of cause the boy is talented, but if he can't get out of that gate then most of his potential is wasted...

You appear to be another fan who can see no wrong in Robert Lambert. and rave about him each time he rides. But like I said I expected more from him this year. You talk about him doubling his average but he could have achieved a 6 CMA just by beating our own and the opposition FTR. That's not taking into account 2nd strings or heat leaders. The fact that his CNA is only 5.49 tell everyone he is not even achieving that. Had he rode this year as a FTR, he would have had easier opposition, rode in more races and his average would have soared. Like I say his Achilles heel is his starting. I find it difficult to understand why he is so bad. Surely when something as important as gating, he has to improve. If he could trap, I have no doubt he would double his scores with ease.

I try to speak as I find. I am not blinded by the fact he's only 16 . Of cause the boy is talented, but if he can't get out of that gate then most of his potential is wasted...

what' utter bull- Robert was only 16 in April I think he's done remarkably well yes his gating let's him down but when he raced at 4 in the team he helped to dig out a result on more then one occasion - if your going to have a moan have a moan at more senior members of the team .
  • Like 1

what' utter bull- Robert was only 16 in April I think he's done remarkably well yes his gating let's him down but when he raced at 4 in the team he helped to dig out a result on more then one occasion - if your going to have a moan have a moan at more senior members of the team .

Yes there are occasions when he had a good ride, and got the team out of a mess , and then I'm the first to applaud his efforts..

But tell me how many times has he score double figures this year.

Porsing don't escape criticism, but it was lambert who we held in this high esteem.

Looking at the other Play-off contenders you then realise just how weak our 2nd strings are..... And that's our Achilles Heel.......

He came in on a 3.00 av which allowed us to have 2 GP riders. The fact he is riding to 5.49 shows he's doing his job.

And he doesn't score double figures often. As his average suggests. Nor does Schlein really. Had Lambert been at FTD he would be out scoring Kerr, Garrity, Worrall etc.

• Like 2

Yes there are occasions when he had a good ride, and got the team out of a mess , and then I'm the first to applaud his efforts..

But tell me how many times has he score double figures this year.

Porsing don't escape criticism, but it was lambert who we held in this high esteem.

Looking at the other Play-off contenders you then realise just how weak our 2nd strings are..... And that's our Achilles Heel.......

you expect far to much from Robert - you talk about double figure scores ?? He's in first season of league racing he's only just 16 they are things you seem to forget - he's more than done his job this season in my opinion and he's more than capable and has won big heats when the chips are down .

You seem to be in a minority as not seen many supporting your views but you carry on knocking one of England's best prospects I,m sure Robert takes great notice of your opinions .

Edited by Haza
  • Like 2

He's not the next Michael Lee nor Darcy Ward. He's Robert Lambert and he's 16 FFS.

Sure, he can't gate for toffee but my god he can mix it up. Lucky to have a talent like him at KL.

Well said as it does my head in all this he's the new this or that, future GP rider & possible world champ.

The lad has done well this season & would've cleaned up at reserve if he wanted to but I imagine he's earning more by being in the top 5.

• Like 1

He came in on a 3.00 av which allowed us to have 2 GP riders. The fact he is riding to 5.49 shows he's doing his job.

And he doesn't score double figures often. As his average suggests. Nor does Schlein really. Had Lambert been at FTD he would be out scoring Kerr, Garrity, Worrall etc.

The third heat leader is without doubt the hardest position to fill. He has to race against the top rider every race. Rory is no Niels or Kenneth, but you can't knock his enthusiasm. When the chips are down Rory will stand up and be counted.. Totally agree with your last part. Rides like Kerr, Garrity, Worrall have all benefitted big time from the FTR idea and feel that lambert would probably have done better going that way.

Lets not forget, he's only 16.... :nono: