British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Thoughts On The Pl Season So Far?

Has it been good bad indifferent?

What are your views?

Will clubs seek to invest next year who have struggled this year.

Or will we stick to Long ball and expect fans to come back in the tens and hundreds

Discuss

It seems to be the same clubs that struggle, so i doubt there has been much investment, and I very much doubt that those clubs will invest again. And with allegedly crowds down everywhere, I don't see anyone investing in anything.

• Like 1

next season all clubs have got to put ahold on wages etc. if the riders dont like it. let them go eles where. speedway HAS to be the winner in all cases.

not a good season crowd wise every where. but as with speedway in the uk. always expect the unexpected.

Sadly I think that the Weather has been the big Winner this Season. This, of course, leading to Fixture congestion towards the end of the Season.

Perhaps, knowing the vagaries of a British Summer, some serious thought needs to be given to the number of Meetings/Competitions the Clubs have to Race in.

• Like 1

Sadly I think that the Weather has been the big Winner this Season. This, of course, leading to Fixture congestion towards the end of the Season.

Perhaps, knowing the vagaries of a British Summer, some serious thought needs to be given to the number of Meetings/Competitions the Clubs have to Race in.

Spot on TWK!

Sadly I think that the Weather has been the big Winner this Season. This, of course, leading to Fixture congestion towards the end of the Season. Perhaps, knowing the vagaries of a British Summer, some serious thought needs to be given to the number of Meetings/Competitions the Clubs have to Race in.

A lot of the clubs need fixtures to spread their fixed costs, which is a double-edge because more fixtures means there are more variable costs to cover in terms of rider payments. Too much money goes out of the sport - there is little or none left to "invest" - and of course there are very few clubs that have anything in which to invest, e.g. youth rider programmes, stadium enhancement, etc.

The sport needs to find a sustainable level, and stick to it.

Edited by Had Enough Too

As far as my team are concerned it's been shocking. Can't see it improving much next year to be honest as Silver looks to have cut costs down to the bare bone with no outside sponsorship coming in and crowd levels dipping alarmingly.

Although the weather this season has been pretty average. The winter rain clearly did some damage to tracks at the start of the season, but the stats for the last 6 months show rainfall at just above the long term average.

So how much more of a mess will there be if we have a wet summer!

Scrap the league cup & start the league campaign in April

Although the weather this season has been pretty average. The winter rain clearly did some damage to tracks at the start of the season, but the stats for the last 6 months show rainfall at just above the long term average.

So how much more of a mess will there be if we have a wet summer!

I think its the damage it has done to certain tracks rather than generally. Plymouth have had just two rain offs, Workington have quite possibly had 5 times that.

To try and put a bit of a positive slant on it, based upon personal experience and those I know some tracks have had increased gates - most notably Sheffield. Although Peterborough's are still not enough (and I suspect the double headers will do further damage to the average) I am advised they have gone up too. Plymouth's have certainly increased in the latter part of the season.

What I have noted is that the standard of racing has improved. The usual suspects - Plymouth, Somerset, Scunthorpe & Peterborough - are as good as ever, but one or two have really upped their game - most notably Glasgow, and I have seen a couple of cracking meetings at Redcar as well. That's got to be good news.

Invest? What's to invest in? Throw money at more like.

You don't invest in Speedway, you shovel money into a black hole.

As has been pointed out, there's more money going out than coming in.

What's the answer? I'm fecked if I know and doubt any one else knows either, including the powers that be, otherwise our great sport wouldn't be limping around in an ever decreasing circle year on year.

• Like 1

At Sheffield the crowds are up slightly , which is amazing when you consider that we are in no better position in the league than for the last 2 seasons.

The promotion at Sheffield have worked hard this season.

The racing has improved, as they have done a lot of work on the track.

The presentation overall has improved, and they have introduced a more family friendly start time.

And with two young vibrant well connected Promoters who have promised that money will spent on the team and make improvements I think the future is very bright at Sheffield and I am confident that we will be challenging for honours next season.

Spinny, you might win something this season yet (although Rye are doing their best to deny you) :P

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 1

Spinny, you might win something this season yet (although Rye are doing their best to deny you) :P

All the best

Rob

Yeah Steady has to be a favorite for the PLRC, but not quite sure about Eddie Kennett.

Yeah Steady has to be a favorite for the PLRC, but not quite sure about Eddie Kennett.

King or Allen for me. Rockets for the wooden spoon. Kennett will score under 6 points in the PLRC