British Speedway Forum
Dave Stummings

Worrying Rye House Rumours

It's pretty obvious it's being run down so wouldn't be a surprise if this is true. If not I just hope the old fool will realise no one wants him at the club anymore and sell it onto someone else.

What a shame from where the club was 7/8 years ago. It's a disgrace the way he has run the club and it's all come home to roost. I see all the old twats that used to come on here and tell me to stop criticising Silver as there's no one better are conspicuous by their absence.

There was very poor crowd at the launch pad last night, mostly made up of old fogies like me. Can it be turned around at rye, I very much doubt it. With so many missing familiar faces on the terraces, it's a sad old place to visit nowadays.

I know 2 different people that have asked Len & Hazal separately about the rumours and both were told that there will be speedway at Rye House next season. That suggests to me next season only, otherwise why not say for years to come. Is it also a coincidence that Central Park complete their final season under the initial planning restrictions next year?

Len has done many good things for speedway in the past* but, that was then and, unfortunately for him, this is now.

* Other than proposing the double point tactical, of course.

Catch 22 situation with Len Silver!

Yes its obvious he's now very blinkered, stubborn, doesn't delegate and will do what he think is right even though it quite often isn't!

No one in British speedway knows more about our great sport than Len but it doesn't mean he's always right!

Rye House speedway has been stale for a number of years now since the Tai Woffinden era and now needs a clear intent of trying to improve things (sign a decent team, try to encourage familes and youngsters along etc!) to try and turn things around!

Hackney speedway in the early 80's under Len Silver went the same way, with Len plodding along and losing interest until he sold out in 1983 and Terry Russell revitalised the venue!

Despite all of Len Silvers current failings at Rye House it has to be remembered that without Lens financial input and expertise, its likely Rye House wouldn't of reopened at their famous venue or at least been as successful.

Rye House can be turned around if Len allows this but I just hope he doesn't take the "I'm God" stance of if I'm not running Rye House speedway then no one else will and shut down!

Rye House has so much potential being not far out of the capital and very lenient planning consents regarding the amount of speedway that can take place there. EG, the lease could be taken on by the BSPA to serve as a training centre as well as running PL and NL teams out of the venue!

Lets hope Rye House has a long term future in speedway!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 6

The investment in the air fence and the major work on the terracing wouldn't seem worth it if Len calls

It a day after 2015 - does it?

His long term investment in Rye is reported to be seven figures so where would the business sense be to walk away from it.

Edited by Glenn

The investment in the air fence and the major work on the terracing wouldn't seem worth it if Len calls

It a day after 2015 - does it?

His long term investment in Rye is reported to be seven figures so where would the business sense be to walk away from it.

If he sells the lease on the stadium to the kart track and receives a tidy sum for Garrity?

He is though getting old - as will you some day - you would do well to remember that.

Getting old, the blokes 82.

I was at redcar last night and if the rockets had a decent guest in for mellgren instead of r/r they would have won boxall garrity bowen and greenwood would have to be 1st names on the team sheet in 2015,,

I was at redcar last night and if the rockets had a decent guest in for mellgren instead of r/r they would have won

Having a decent guest in for the guest would have been a start...

Yes I remember. Did the law ever Nick anyone for that. I heard the culprit smashed their way into the stadium with a wooden Mallet but it could just be a rumour

Doesn't make any difference does it, considering the whole site was bulldozed :(

I hate to see any track close and although RH isnt one of my favorites I do fondly remember the morning meetings we used to stop off at on the way to watching a world championship meeting at White City later in the day.

I usually manage to get there at least once a season and hope that will be the case for a few more years yet

Attractive opposition, good weather, no football

....and yet the 'crowd' is pitiful.

The air of decay hangs heavy @ Hoddesdon

A bit like the Titanic, get out before it sinks, just gets worse by the week.

Can you return the lifeboat when you've finished with it please
  • Like 1