British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Provincial League

Anybody still alive on this forum who remembers the PL (1960-64)-best speedway ever. My favorite riders of that league were Ivor Brown(CH), and the 1964 Newport team(Alby Golden, Peter Vandenberg, Dick Bradley, Jon Erskine , Geoff Penniket, Ray Harris , Vic White etc etc).. I recall the 2nd leg of the 1964 KO Cup Final at CH-where Newport had a huge lead from the 1st leg and just scraped home at CH in the 2nd leg by about 2 points on aggregate. No question CH would have won if George Major had been able to ride. John Edwards of CH rode extremely well.. Anyone else in forumland attend that meeting-if so I'll buy them a pint next time I'm in UK. CH supporters were the best and very welcoming-always recall the pork sarnies-and having a pint with them at a nearby pub the name of which I've forgotten. Wish we could return to those days!!

• Like 2

I remember the Provincial League well, though I didn't see much of it as my teams were mostly in the old National League, but I did get about half a season of Provincial League racing at New Cross in 1963 before they closed. Good old Reg Reeves, Jimmy Squibb and Stan Stevens. Also Geoff Penniket as it happens.

I did see the Provincial League Riders' Championship at Harringay in 1961. This was when Trevor Redmond, easily the best rider on the night, was cruelly robbed of the title when he shed his chain on the fourth bend of the fourth lap in his last race when heading for a 15 point maximum. Incidentally, that was the last meeting ever held at Harringay.

Anybody still alive on this forum who remembers the PL (1960-64)-best speedway ever. My favorite riders of that league were Ivor Brown(CH), and the 1964 Newport team(Alby Golden, Peter Vandenberg, Dick Bradley, Jon Erskine , Geoff Penniket, Ray Harris , Vic White etc etc).. I recall the 2nd leg of the 1964 KO Cup Final at CH-where Newport had a huge lead from the 1st leg and just scraped home at CH in the 2nd leg by about 2 points on aggregate. No question CH would have won if George Major had been able to ride. John Edwards of CH rode extremely well.. Anyone else in forumland attend that meeting-if so I'll buy them a pint next time I'm in UK. CH supporters were the best and very welcoming-always recall the pork sarnies-and having a pint with them at a nearby pub the name of which I've forgotten. Wish we could return to those days!!

One pint please, Bob, - or make that 4, me being: i) a Prov.Lge follower, ii) a Cradley fan since childhood, (1940s), iii) a devoted Ivor Brown fan, (saw him off in Wymswold in 2005), iv) an attendee at all 5 PLRCs , '60- '64, - Cradley, Harringay & Belle Vue.

You've been quiet the last few years. What's woken you up ?

I attended most of the Provincial League matches at Edinburgh from 1960-64,some great matches,Monarchs favourites were Dick Campbell,Wayne Briggs,George Hunter,the Templetons,Jimmy Cox and many more. Ian Hoskins was the ultimate showman and there was always added attractions.Great visiting riders were Tony Lewis Guy Allott Jack Scott Trevor Redmond Jack Kitchen Charlie Monk Ivan Mauger and Clive Featherby who was the" villain "in these days.great memories.

I atttended all the Provincial League Matches that Sunderland 'Saints' rode at Boldon that year. My introduction to Speedway.

Mixed views really - we only had nine Meetings before Bridgett and Parker closed it down. They gave weather and poor attendances as the reasons. NOT so!!! We never had a rain off (we did have some wet weather though) and the Crowds were fairly good. 6,000 at the penultimate Meeting. (Source - Sunderland 'Echo').

Our Riders were used to strengthen Wolverhampton and Newcastle who were not doing that well at the time.

Wolverhampton, who were around the bottom of the League got most of the 'Saints' Riders - Airey, Guasco, McKee to name three and Newcastle got Sharples who was a revelation for them and Newcastle went on to win the League. Wolverhampton went on to finish third with the addition of the Sunderland Riders to their Team strength. I have long believed that that Sunderland was closed in order that the other Parker/Bridgett Tracks could be strengthened.

We closed in 1974 too due to lack of support due to Promoting issues too (True) - we started the Season with two new Promoters and a lot of hope. I don't believe we won a Meeting Home or Away that year until those new Promoters pulled out and by then they had lost over half of our Support. The late Elizabeth Taylor from Berwick took over until we finished our Season. I will always be grateful to the Taylors for that.

I honestly think that Speedway Promoters should give Sunderland another chance after the way we were so shabbily treated over BOTH closures by certain Promoters. I have thought that for Forty years and I will probably go to my grave thinking it.

Am I bitter? Damned right I am!!

Those Promoters got me to love my Sport and then took it away from me. In '64 for reasons explained above and in '74 due to ineptitude. I don't blame the Taylors for any of this in '74 - but the first half of the Season was shambolic - you lose your Support - you lose your Track and, sad to relate, THAT is what happened to us.

There has been no sign of a revival since. :sad: :sad: :sad:

While your stadium still stands, there is always hope!

Yes - hope is eternal.

The Stadium still stands but is only used for Dogs.

Tracks I used to go to...New Cross , West Ham , Harringay , White City , Hackney .

Not even the stadiums left. No hope!

I found this website recently, featuring Somerton Park and Newport in general.

Shows the fearsome (so some say) speedway track.

http://quietwomansrow.com/#/county-7475/4534183014

Great memories of the PL.

My own upbringing meant I was forced to watch Gilbertson, Mudge Lewis and co each week. Hard, but someone had to do it!

My one and only visit to New Cross turned out to be the last ever meeting there, with Poole winning too!

Excellent photos of somerton park. I went there for both football and speedway, the track was a bit on the narrow side!

Hi Britmet and Norbold, the reason I have been in a deep slumber is because most of the topics on the site seem to have been after my time i.e. 1964-68 (when I emigrated) So years gone by is usually after my time. What awoke me from my deep sleep was the Reg Fearman book "Both Sides of the Fence"-one of the best speedway books I have read -if not the best. Lots of PL stuff but great social history of the 50's and 60's-the world of the old working class east end, now long gone. Even the Kray Bros. make an appearance. CH still remains my favorite track and favorite supporters. Also Long Eaton with the Pavilion pub and great fish and chip shop just outside the gates(on the Nottingham side). I recall in 1967 being in the Pavilion with all the Sheffield riders when their meeting with LE was rained off-great times and great people. I wish I could have attended the 1964 PLRC-avidly read the Speedway Star report-what a great meeting it sounds to have been. Does anybody know when the last PL rider rode in a competitive meeting and who it was- I know Eric Boocock went on for a long time. I gotta say though that the Sheffield track always seemed the best prepared and a classy place to visit. Anyway thanks for remembering me and Britmet who knows maybe one day I will get to buy you 4 pints!!!!

• Like 1

I'd guess Malcolm Simmons

PS Ted Ede was riding at Iwade in 2012/13 in the Dragons meetings

The church steeple in the background of some of these photographs is that of St Patricks - I went to primary school there! And yes, of course, I watched Provincial League Speedway at Somerton Park. After my Dad took me and my brother to see the first meeting against Cradley Heath I couldn't get enough of it! Great memories.

I found this website recently, featuring Somerton Park and Newport in general.

Shows the fearsome (so some say) speedway track.

http://quietwomansrow.com/#/county-7475/4534183014

Great memories of the PL.

My own upbringing meant I was forced to watch Gilbertson, Mudge Lewis and co each week. Hard, but someone had to do it!

My one and only visit to New Cross turned out to be the last ever meeting there, with Poole winning too!

Hi arnieg, thanks for mentioning that Simmo was the last active PL rider. I don't really count Simmo as a PL rider though because he was only in it one season-1963 with 'Ackney,- he then chose NL in1964 as you know. I'm really interested in the guys who decided to ride black in 1964-anybody know which of those was the last guy riding, I know Eric Boocock who I reckon was a true PL rider went on for a long time-any advance on that. Also Norbold re 1960 PLRC-I guess Reg Reeves-dad of Eddie- was lucky that night-do you remember who finished 3rd.??

I think the last PL rider still in action was probably Ivan Mauger at Exeter in 1984.

But like Boocock he had retired and then returned.

I think the better answer is George Hunter who rode until 1983, having appeared in the very first PL season as well as the 'black year'

http://www.speedwayatoz.co.uk/georgehunter.html