British Speedway Forum
Double Up

Cradley Heathens

Why?

Wait until they visit your track

Wait until they visit your track

I don't think they will..............................................

Sunderland closed down over forty years ago now.

Plus - I no longer attend at Newcastle - so - I guess I am destined never to find out.

Whisper :- unless you tell me.

Perry Wood? Dudley Barr? Does anyone give a monkey's what home is called as long as we've got one?

I would. Long Eaton may exist in name today, but riding away from the area means it is not my team. So Cradely riding at Birmingham is not really Cradley, it is Birmingham in disguise, and would not help attract new local fans to the stadium if the team is called something other than Birmingham.

• Like 1

I would. Long Eaton may exist in name today, but riding away from the area means it is not my team. So Cradely riding at Birmingham is not really Cradley, it is Birmingham in disguise, and would not help attract new local fans to the stadium if the team is called something other than Birmingham.

Yes maybe it wouldnt attract local fans to Perry Barr, but if The Brummies and Cradley both rode at Perry Barr in the NL I do believe that would be viable, both Teams would have an identity and there would be cracking local derbies between them.

It's not my usual daily but I saw a copy of the Sun yesterday and there was a 2 page article in there about how Dudley is now rated as the worst Shopping Centre in the Country. Apparently some surveyors have been around the UK rating town centres out of a maximum score of 400. Dudley's score was 5 and those of us that know it would probably say that's generous.

When you look at sport in the area the position is probably even worse if that is possible. The town has lost a good quality non league football ground, a cricket ground frequently visited by Worcestershire (and even the Aussie tourists on one occasion), a speedway track, a dog track and two swimming baths. All in the course of the last 30 years!

The Council have done nothing to help the Club relocate over the years. There have been options put to them on a number of occasions and they have not actively supported any of them.

For a Council that complains that the town's night time economy is dead on its feet they cannot see the link of bringing a Club back to the area that will attract over 1000 people to events in the evening.

I have my fingers crossed for Nigel Gary and Chris but they have their work cut out in Dudley and as far as Sandwell are concerned I wish anyone well in getting any form of response from Darren Cooper (Leader) who once said they would find us land and we could pay them when we could!

I really envy the likes of Manchester and Leicester where they have Councils who want to deliver sports facilities. It makes such a difference.

• Like 2

Sounds good - has nobody tried this?

I'm told Sandwell have been tried too and whilst they appear more accommodating than Dudley it still hasn't led to anything positive.

Yes maybe it wouldnt attract local fans to Perry Barr, but if The Brummies and Cradley both rode at Perry Barr in the NL I do believe that would be viable, both Teams would have an identity and there would be cracking local derbies between them.

It wouldn't make sense, and I don't think it would be financially viable for one of the two teams.

Needs must in these desperate times for Cradley and Birmingham speedway!

I think Cradley and Birmingham both running at Perry Bar in the NL could work as long as both had teams with strong teams, and 4-5 of Cradley matches at Wolves when Wolves weren't riding on a Monday including the Cradley V Birmingham match!

Remember that the finances needed at NL is a lot lower so the breakeven crowd figures needed at that level are much lower than EL!

It wouldn't make sense, and I don't think it would be financially viable for one of the two teams.

Well i wouldnt think it is a risk for Cradley, so i would guess you are hinting at the Brummies, my take on this is that (NL) is the only way back for Brum at this moment in time. and if the 2nd city cant support NL racing at £10 or so, then it doesnt deserve Speedway, yes Speedway itself has big problems which need sorting out, and i dont mean points limits and doubling up, or double points, but if the BSPA grasp the nettle then there is a place for The Brummies.

Needs must in these desperate times for Cradley and Birmingham speedway!

I think Cradley and Birmingham both running at Perry Bar in the NL could work as long as both had teams with strong teams, and 4-5 of Cradley matches at Wolves when Wolves weren't riding on a Monday including the Cradley V Birmingham match!

Remember that the finances needed at NL is a lot lower so the breakeven crowd figures needed at that level are much lower than EL!

The costs of renting Perry Barr are likely to be the same as for EL/PL - maybe even more temporarily after whats happened!!

The costs of renting Perry Barr are likely to be the same as for EL/PL - maybe even more temporarily after whats happened!!

too right, the GRA have always charged top money to rent their stadiums. Wimbledon were paying 2 grand a meeting in 2005 for CL racing!

Will the de mountable stands for outside viewing still be there? Did Tony Mole buy those in the first place?

they are still there now

too right, the GRA have always charged top money to rent their stadiums. Wimbledon were paying 2 grand a meeting in 2005 for CL racing!

Make that 2.5 grand. :P

Edited by Tsunami