British Speedway Forum
Daniel Smith

King's Lynn V Lakeside Tues 31st Sky 7.30

That must be the most ridiculous statement I've seen posted on the forum. I suggest you go and tell the riders that...........

They, the riders, will not perform on a strip if they don't feel confident with, merely go through the motions....

In actual fact, its one of most sensible and reasonable I have ever read here.

What he is saying is that providing a track is safe, it should be prepared to suit the needs of your paying customers, not your paid employees.

No other business would do otherwise.

It's laughable isn't. The sport isn't for the riders, it's for the fans. We're constantly told the riders do it for the fans (HaHa!) but now we're being told it's done for the riders. Well fine, make the tracks for the riders, lets the riders love it and the fans hate it.The fans will stop going, the riders will have to stop being paid and we'll see how many speedway meeting there are then!

Dead right :approve:

Wolves has been my #1 EL track for a long time. And before Peterborough dropped down that was #2. Two completely contract yet almost equally brilliant tracks. These days It's Wolves, Poole (even with it's bumps, as at last there is racing/passing) and BV as the top 3 (BV has come on loads the last 2 seasons) while Lynn has probably slumped into the bottom 4 with Coventry, Leicester and Lakeside. Leaves Swindon in 4th as a pretty average and run of the mill track that can be both brilliant and naff on any given day.

I'd have been laughed off the pages of this forum a few years ago for this but the best EL track is Belle Vue. Have to say I have always rated Lakeside much higher than some - in my view, its been better than King's Lynn for a long time.

To be fair to Buster Chapman, I think he did well just to get the meeting on given the weather conditions. In addition, Lakeside were awful.

That's not what he is saying. Like a couple of others you are reading something into it that isn't there.

Of course Joe Public on the terraces knows whether its a good meeting or a bad one . No dispute about that, but it would only take one post to make that point. What we are seeing on this thread is people who know nothing about track prep, nothing about, engines , nothing about set ups , analysing and presuming to tell us why it was a dull meeting, and why KL is the best track since sliced bread.

People bang on about not enough dirt on the track for example but quite often there is enough dirt but because of the weather it has to be packed down, so the meeting can be put on. That in in turn can spoil the quality of the racing. It could be 101 different reasons or it could be simply the opposing team were having a bad day, just like every team do at times every year. And yet here we have people who have never sat on a bike or driven a tractor sitting in front of their TV screens telling us that because someone fell off and someone else didn't it proves this or that, or going through the old "my tracks better than your track routine ". Absolute nonsense.

I think the thing is that in my experience some tracks consistently turn out better racing surfaces than others and consequently get a reputation for that.

You don't need to know how they do it but you can ask the question if some can do it why can't others ?

Here here. My mate is a chef and if he gets complaints he asks if they've ever worked in a resturant kitchen. Soon puts them in their place.

I bet his business is successful with an attitude of 'don't like the food ? Come and cook it yourself'.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

That's not what he is saying. Like a couple of others you are reading something into it that isn't there.

Of course Joe Public on the terraces knows whether its a good meeting or a bad one . No dispute about that, but it would only take one post to make that point. What we are seeing on this thread is people who know nothing about track prep, nothing about, engines , nothing about set ups , analysing and presuming to tell us why it was a dull meeting, and why KL is the best track since sliced bread.

People bang on about not enough dirt on the track for example but quite often there is enough dirt but because of the weather it has to be packed down, so the meeting can be put on. That in in turn can spoil the quality of the racing. It could be 101 different reasons or it could be simply the opposing team were having a bad day, just like every team do at times every year. And yet here we have people who have never sat on a bike or driven a tractor sitting in front of their TV screens telling us that because someone fell off and someone else didn't it proves this or that, or going through the old "my tracks better than your track routine ". Absolute nonsense.

100% correct and well said ............. proves that there still is intelligent life on the planet that's able to look at the whole picture rather than just the bit that they want or prefer to see (subject to individuals agenda).

You get a very mixed bag on here Custer as you are well aware, some have a good idea what's going on and some have to have it spelled out in large letters. Of course you even get some who try to pull the wool over another's eyes and tell big porkies making out that some things in the sport are better than they what they generally are.

Generally it would be beneficial to thnk everyone involved in the sport did so because they cared about it but my experience is that most just care about a particular team or club and are quite happy to shaft the opposition at every opportunity they get, although I will add that doesn't apply to all that I have met over the years, the fact that we have a complete joke of a rule book doesn't help but this sports administration needs to sort itself out and start pulling in the same direction.

Here here. My mate is a chef and if he gets complaints he asks if they've ever worked in a resturant kitchen. Soon puts them in their place. Dad was a roofer and as not many folk venture up onto their roof any complaints he had were soon dismissed.

Speedway fans stop moaning for Christ sake!

I have never worked in a kitchen but I have eaten a lot of steaks and can tell the difference between a good one and a poor one :)

Likewise I have never prepared a speedway track but after watching meetings for nearly 40 years I can tell if the track is a decent race circuit or not. Buster does a great job at Kings Lynn IMO and more often than not provides a track capable of staging great racing. Conditions and the teams conspired against him on Tuesday.

You get a very mixed bag on here Custer as you are well aware, some have a good idea what's going on and some have to have it spelled out in large letters. Of course you even get some who try to pull the wool over another's eyes and tell big porkies making out that some things in the sport are better than they what they generally are.

Generally it would be beneficial to thnk everyone involved in the sport did so because they cared about it but my experience is that most just care about a particular team or club and are quite happy to shaft the opposition at every opportunity they get, although I will add that doesn't apply to all that I have met over the years, the fact that we have a complete joke of a rule book doesn't help but this sports administration needs to sort itself out and start pulling in the same direction.

For once, I have to agree with you,

What Nigel said at the start of his first ride "On his day he can be world class".

Which day was that then ?.

The day he had a few holes in his silencer...

:t:

Cant believe some are still moaning about the standard of racing.

Its an early league fixture, weather conditions poor so this was never going to be a classic meeting.

Coupled with poor opposition this was not a classic, and was never likely to be.

That reminds me, I had a hotdog at Lynn a fortnight ago, it was gross, whatever possessed me to I dunno! About time Buster bought in some proper sausages and good butcher's burgers to feed to the public!!

The food at Lynn has always been pretty nasty unfortunately.

But why, does Buster like this stuff, surely not? Or is it cos it is dirt cheap and he can make the most money out of it?

I can understand that he wants to maximise his profit, don't think I will have a lapse again though ugh!

On a positive the drinks are okay, Cadburys hot choc mmm

Edited by Trees

I stopped buying hot drinks last season when they went up to 1.50. Speedway is expensive enough and now the programmes have gone up as well. Don't mind paying 2.50 for one but it shows that last years were a rip off.

The food at Lynn has always been pretty nasty unfortunately.

You can never please everybody all the time... You obviously have a fixed impression from some experience you may or may not have had, But the food served from the Pit-Stop café is well up to scratch, with few or no complaints. I believe it is open most days of the week to serve the passing trade and local Commercial Enterprises. If it was as bad as you suggest I would think it would have closed long ago..........

Actually that is a good point GRW123, I was referring more to the burger van and back straight eateries. Have had chips from Pit Stop and they were ok.

Me too, do they use butchers sausages and burgers in the Pit Stop then?

Me too, do they use butchers sausages and burgers in the Pit Stop then?

Same as everywhere else. Certainly not value for money imo