British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Cock-ups & Walk-outs To Remember

If my memory isn't playing tricks, I'm pretty sure that Heat 10 of the Romford v Hull match in 1971 was actually run AFTER Heat 13!
There had been a series of reruns, crashes and controversies (Tony Childs being in the thick of it all) and to give the riders in Heat 10 more time to get their bikes repaired, the ref decided to press on with Heats 11, 12 & 13.
Bizarre, but think it's true.

As usual..

A hard man was Tony. I remember him and Jack Millen coming together at Sunderland a couple of times.

If my memory serves me right.

In my time attending speedway, the only match which ended in mayhem was the 1982 Belle Vue v Reading KO Cup clash. The track was in a rare old state due to the infamous Manchester wet-stuff, and the Berkshire boys were less than enamored to continue their night's work.

All sorts of fun and games in the pits, as Aces' boss Ian Thomas was allegedly struck in the tender parts by Reading's American Steve Gresham.

Reading eventually pulled out and set off for home , and the Aces rode unopposed for the latter part, but needing the addition of the now defunct boiler suit to help protect their leathers from the wet.

Ian Thomas, the stories go, spent part of the evening... head buried between his legs!

We've lads know that feeling...

We certainly do...................................

I got hit by a hard hit Cricket Ball once.................

I still wince when I think about it. That was fifty five years ago now.

Edited by The White Knight

My own favourite was the Oxford v Cardley match on 3 April 1975. The meeting was held in snow, and Cradley walked out after heat 7 leaving Oxford to ride round on their own to win 58-14.

I remember a couple of matches at Oxford being called off in good weather due to an over watered track. I actually gave up going to Oxford every week as a result.

• Like 2

My own favourite was the Oxford v Cardley match on 3 April 1975. The meeting was held in snow, and Cradley walked out after heat 7 leaving Oxford to ride round on their own to win 58-14.

I remember a couple of matches at Oxford being called off in good weather due to an over watered track. I actually gave up going to Oxford every week as a result.

And that pic of Dave Perks on the cover of the Speedway Star... having written "snow" on the windsreen of a car.

Forty years on and I still see it.

Today's Star, I have to recheck the date before seeing it isn't last week's or a week before that!

They do look the same... that boy band sort of way.

• Like 1

In my time attending speedway, the only match which ended in mayhem was the 1982 Belle Vue v Reading KO Cup clash. The track was in a rare old state due to the infamous Manchester wet-stuff, and the Berkshire boys were less than enamored to continue their night's work.

All sorts of fun and games in the pits, as Aces' boss Ian Thomas was allegedly struck in the tender parts by Reading's American Steve Gresham.

Reading eventually pulled out and set off for home , and the Aces rode unopposed for the latter part, but needing the addition of the now defunct boiler suit to help protect their leathers from the wet.

Ian Thomas, the stories go, spent part of the evening... head buried between his legs!

We lads know that feeling...

I was there for that one - a hell of a way to travel to see your team concede a series of nil-5s.

One detail that really needs to be included in any description of that evening is that Gresham went on to fight on track with Bobby Schwartz... his team mate!!

• Like 1

I was there for that one - a hell of a way to travel to see your team concede a series of nil-5s.

One detail that really needs to be included in any description of that evening is that Gresham went on to fight on track with Bobby Schwartz... his team mate!!

Yes, Arnie, you are spot on. I knew Bobby Schwartz was involved in something but didn't want to mention until my memory really kicked in.

Where have all the characters gone?

I think Steve Gresham and Ian Thomas had some previous dealings at Hull in the seventies...

• Like 1

I remember Belle Vue walking out at Hull in 1974 I think. It was 15 - 9 after 4 heats and ended up 60 - 9!

Also Reading walked out of the last three heats at Hackney once - result 45 - 30!

A cock up to come to mind was Berwick sending the wrong two riders out for a race at Rye House a few years ago. They were both excluded after the end of the race!

More recently Barbara Horley changed the race result of heat 2 at Rye House but only after a few more races had been run - made a right mess of the programme!

During the Chris Shears era at Foxhall there was certainly a couple green light start meetings although I cant for the life of me remember dates and opponents!!

There was also "The Redi Hire Pairs" held in awful track conditions - really deep and wet. Times I recall in the region of 74-78 seconds when the track record was just under a minute.

I remember at Newport's old Somerton Park Track in 76 I think there was a problem with the red lights around the track not working. Maurice Morley the Newport promoter wanted the meeting to go ahead using the red exclusion light as a signal to stop the race, combined the track staff waving red flags around the track . The riders were quite happy with the arrangement, however the referee wasn't and the match was postponed. The following week as a guesture of good faith everyone was let in free regardless of weather they had a readmisson ticket

Edited by Seymour Dix

Remember when Belle Vue didnt bother to turn up at Berwick in 1991. Big crowd in the stadium, think they arranged a mini meeting with berwick riders and second halfers!

Didn't Berwick run all 15Hts with only the Berwick riders on track, it was quite noticeable which riders were keen to return the following season as they had the most engine failures.

Didn't Berwick run all 15Hts with only the Berwick riders on track, it was quite noticeable which riders were keen to return the following season as they had the most engine failures.

Wow! A quarter of a century back and it seems like yesterday. I recall Berwick's first ever trip to Belle Vue, a Gold Cup match in 1991, and we were all dragged outside for about half an hour, due to a bomb scare. Since then, the Belle Vue site has been wrecked by that said bomb hitting it!

The Terry Lindon regime. I think the Serious Fraud Office finally managed to pin something on him a couple of years ago.

The Terry Lindon regime. I think the Serious Fraud Office finally managed to pin something on him a couple of years ago.

Obviously it was good to see the best riders riding at Berrington, but it almost cost Berwick its speedway, and the less said about Linden the better.

• Like 1

The 1967 British Final at West Ham, when the riders threatened to strike over pay just before the start, was a major story at the time. 'Night of Shame' Speedway Star editor Paul Parish called it.

I remember that evening well. I was there.

Hang on a minute-didn't that also occur at the 1963 Prov. League Riders Final at Belle Vue and also at the 1965 British Final at West Ham(I woz there). Amazingly I also attended the 1967 British Final at West Ham (that was the time Rick France qualified for the World Final) and don't recall the strike thing-wasn't the Paul Parish story about the 1965 British Final-reckon I'm right- I just dug out Speedway Star of 10 Sept 1965(I really gotta get a life) and on pages 6 and 7 is the Paul Parish story-he mentions "Night of Shame" but the actual article is titled "Black Night". I am sorry to have to correct tmc and Norbold -of all people- but I reckon you both owe me a pint.

Further piece of trivia on that evening-in Heat 5 Peter Vandenberg inflicted the first defeat that Charlie Monk suffered in the WC campaign till that point. It was the only 3 pts. that Pete Vandenberg got that evening. Charlie went from 4th to 2nd by overtaking Bill Andrews and Ronnie Genz, but couldn't catch PV. If he had he would have at least been in a run off for the last WF spot and could have beaten the other two in the run off -Mike Broadbank and Gordon Guasco. sadly Charlie never did make the WF. I remember the evening very well-first one with a mixture of PL and NL riders as first year of BL.

Further piece of trivia on that evening-in Heat 5 Peter Vandenberg inflicted the first defeat that Charlie Monk suffered in the WC campaign till that point. It was the only 3 pts. that Pete Vandenberg got that evening. Charlie went from 4th to 2nd by overtaking Bill Andrews and Ronnie Genz, but couldn't catch PV. If he had he would have at least been in a run off for the last WF spot and could have beaten the other two in the run off -Mike Broadbank and Gordon Guasco. sadly Charlie never did make the WF. I remember the evening very well-first one with a mixture of PL and NL riders as first year of BL.

Never worked out why Charlie Monk never reached a world final, with all his talent. I know why the other big gun north of the border didn't and that was a little incident at Meadowbank. He was never confident after that of taking the top riders on in case he fell off again.