British Speedway Forum
SCB

Gerhard Engine

On the whole this has to be a good thing for s/way in the long term , there is going to be a period of adjustment and much resistance from riders but more directly from tuners who at the end of the day do nothing for the well being of the sport.I accept that tuners were merely taking advantage of a market within the sport but in so doing they have added a significant cost that it can no longer afford .

This is a watershed period in the sport from a machinery point of view and sadly there has to be casualties (tuners) and the riders have to embrace the fact that they are purchasing an engine not because it may be a 10th of second a lap faster( if it was they would be ordering pairs of these engines by the shed load ) than the next rider but because they will be able to race on a more level plainfield at mutual cost .

As to what happens to the old engines and their investment anyone who remember the 4 valve revolution will have witnessed 2 valve engines being discarded wholesale almost overnight because they were chasing speed with no regard of the financial implications of their actions what so ever .

Edited by FAST GATER

You honestly beliveve Freddie's was a standard sealed engine out the box no chance of that lol

What we have here is the equivalent of the performance of a WRC Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Evo being used as the justification for buying a regular Impreza or Evo fron the local dealerships.

Anyway, like almost anyone knows, no two engines can be built to perform the same.

So what happens to the kid who spends £4,800.00 on a new sealed BSPA Gerhard engine and it turns out to be a "pup"?

• Like 1

So for everyone talking about the engine being sealed and 'what if it's a pup'...when you talk about such things...do you actually know what you are talking about? Do you know exactly how the engine is 'Sealed'? Do you think 'sealed' engines would be sold and if it wasn't performing, the answer would be 'tough...that's how it comes'....you actually seriously believe that?

Not being an arse here...but how can any of us talk about sealed engines and their performance and all the 'what if's'...unless anyone actually knows anything factual about this scheme, apart from how many engines and price.

It's the equivalent of people talking about brain surgery, and suggesting certain procedures take place, based on watching some operations on youtube.

It really is laughable...as no one actually knows anything. If you do...would love to know more on this scheme on how it's actually going to work.

• Like 2

So what happens to the kid who spends £4,800.00 on a new sealed BSPA Gerhard engine and it turns out to be a "pup"?

It will be tested and corrected.

Could also happen to the other kid, who got a "dud" or "pup" from PJR or Jawa.

• Like 1

Exactly. Guess they have a plan.

Edited by f-s-p

I agree with the problem that - as usual -"revolutionary" things inc rules in speedway are very rarely thought through properly and I can see trouble ahead with this one. Not a bad thing IF there is no way round just handing it over to a tuner and changing bits for "better" ones etc etc. It should be that anyone caught in the pits with a modified bike ( doing a Kennett it's called I believe ) is banned for life from the sport. Anything else will not deter those seeking an unfair advantage. Is that what the BSPA are going to put in place?

Has anybody been banned for life? I remember Danny Bird getting a substantial ban but that's about it. Since then there have been on track brawls & silencer tampering that resulted in suspended sentences, small fines and some character defamation.

Hall & Tungate received bans for violent conduct but they weren't for very long. As things stand punishments for foul play are not strict or harsh enough to act as any form of deterrent.

Now I've bought my engine for an arm and a leg, at least we're all even, but Andre Avimof has just turned up with the same engine, but with his new Karger super ignition, with it',s fancy power curves, and a price tag to match, he's also got the latest mega fast Blixt carb, and also some dodgy fuel, I was half a lap behind, what do I do now Mr BSPA.

• Like 2

Now I've bought my engine for an arm and a leg, at least we're all even, but Andre Avimof has just turned up with the same engine, but with his new Karger super ignition, with it',s fancy power curves, and a price tag to match, he's also got the latest mega fast Blixt carb, and also some dodgy fuel, I was half a lap behind, what do I do now Mr BSPA.

So basically you are saying there is no use in trying?No matter what happens someone will always try to be better than the next person.Someone will be better than the next person,and that "next person" will believe if he spends more money on something else he will then be better and so the circle goes round.....But hopefully if it is less expensive at the bottom,it will enable more people to try and gain a foothold in the sport.Leaving the costs to spiral won't

• Like 2

How much does the rest of the bike cost? Ballpark figure?

about £2000-£2500 for a new one but you can get a really good second hand one for around £1000

Exactly. Guess they have a plan.

Have you seen how things get organised in British speedway?

I think you might be giving them more credit for forward planning than they deserve ;)

• Like 2

Thanks.

You can get a complete second hand bike with a good GM engine for about £1,500 - £2,000. So who in the lower leagues is going to pay £5,000 for a GTR? Unless you win the lottery!

• Like 1