British Speedway Forum
Terry

Who Was Best, Louis Senior Or Louis Junior?

I couldn't split the Grahames. I would say that Alan was the better team man with his legendary partnership with Phil Collins, and the way he continued riding while fighting cancer was quite incredible.

Andy was so fast and the only Wimbledon rider to get the better of Steve Schofield and Andy Galvin on a regular basis. :sad:

To finish first and second in the British final was quite an achievement although they were below the Louis's

• Like 2

You know, it wasn't at the same level as those mentioned, but if I had to plump for an evenly matched father and son pairing, I think that Bob and Michael Coles would be contenders, as would Mike and Leigh Lanham.

For evenly matched brothers, I feel Jack and Norman Parker would be right up there, as would David and Kevin Smart.

Back to the original question, and I would have to go for John Louis, and although I hate to say it, Jason over Phil...

Steve

Phil was probably on a par with, or a little below the louis's (I'd tend towards the latter). Jason though is one of the top ten of all time IMHO, so as a partnership I'd definitely give the crumps the edge.

Most closely matched brothers - the Grahames? Boococks? Morans?

Closely matched I'd say the Morans, not many better sights than Kelly & Shawn team riding, great memories.

I'd also say Alan had the edge over Andy Gahame, very tough rider.

Chris & Dave Morton were quite similar in style but Chris takes the honours.

It's great how these type of threads open up and start to evoke snatched memories of riders you thought you'd forgotten about.

What about the Karlsson/Max brothers, both had great careers and still going, I always used to prefer watching Michael for excitement but Peter has my full admiration for the way he has kept himself fit and competitive, great servant to British speedway and one of those riders you would always want in your team.

• Like 1

I was a big fan of both Grahame's......I would say Andy was the better gater but Alan was the better all round rider..he was very forceful at times was Alan !...a very tough rider which gives him the edge over Andy

Chris & Dave Morton were quite similar in style but Chris takes the honours.

I often wonder how good Dave could've been if he hadn't broken his leg in '77.

There was nothing between him and Chris at that point, although he was a few years older.

He was never the same rider after that.

It's strange how some riders can return from serious injury and be just as good as before. Ermolenko, Knudsen, Wiltshire, and other riders can't.

Must be a psychological thing I guess..

I would say Chris. John relied almost solely on his gating, Chris was a more complete racer.

That has to be the biggest load of garbage i have ever seen on here. Having watched both riders on a regular basis, i can say that John was the better rider and racer..

• Like 1

I was a big fan of both Grahame's......I would say Andy was the better gater but Alan was the better all round rider..he was very forceful at times was Alan !...a very tough rider which gives him the edge over Andy

I remember many moons ago watching alan guest for Wimbledon at perry Barr. He was very hard on andy, who was riding for the brummies at the time. No brotherly love on that occasion!

That has to be the biggest load of garbage i have ever seen on here. Having watched both riders on a regular basis, i can say that John was the better rider and racer..

Garbage is a bit harsh but I have to agree that John was never one I'd class as a consistent gater, of that top British group back in the early mid 70's I would say Simmo, Jessup and Davies were the gaters, Louis, PC, Mort etc were the racers.

I saw him ride many times but I honestly can't remember if Ray Wilson could trap well on a regular basis, anyone?

• Like 1

Garbage is a bit harsh but I have to agree that John was never one I'd class as a consistent gater, of that top British group back in the early mid 70's I would say Simmo, Jessup and Davies were the gaters, Louis, PC, Mort etc were the racers.

I saw him ride many times but I honestly can't remember if Ray Wilson could trap well on a regular basis, anyone?

Agree with that 100%...Britain had some top notch riders in those days :t:

No Garbage isn't harsh at all.....The 1970's was full of truly high standards..England had at least 12 riders all of whom were a country mile better than anything (given that Master Woffinden is an aussie) we have today. The names of BETTS (racer)...Ashby (racer)...Pusey (racer)..Wilson (racer and hard)...Reggie wilson (same)...added to those above.

They were great days, fans travelled miles to see meetings....the big hope..is the emerging National League with great racing, improving gates, regular teams, few mercenaries....scrap the farce that is the Elite League..merge the 2 other leagues and you then have a chance....if only !!

No Garbage isn't harsh at all.....The 1970's was full of truly high standards..England had at least 12 riders all of whom were a country mile better than anything (given that Master Woffinden is an aussie) we have today. The names of BETTS (racer)...Ashby (racer)...Pusey (racer)..Wilson (racer and hard)...Reggie wilson (same)...added to those above.

They were great days, fans travelled miles to see meetings....the big hope..is the emerging National League with great racing, improving gates, regular teams, few mercenaries....scrap the farce that is the Elite League..merge the 2 other leagues and you then have a chance....if only !!

I'm with you 100% on everything you say.

Michael Lee

Dave Jessup

Malcolm Simmons

Gordon Kennett

Steve Bastable

Chris Morton

Tony Davey

John Davis

Les Collins

Peter Collins

Reg Wilson

Doug Wyer

Alan Grahame

Jim McMillan

John Louis

Dave Morton

The 1978 British final line-up. Slightly better than this year!

• Like 2

I would say any of those riders could have won it on their night

• Like 1

Michael Lee

Dave Jessup

Malcolm Simmons

Gordon Kennett

Steve Bastable

Chris Morton

Tony Davey

John Davis

Les Collins

Peter Collins

Reg Wilson

Doug Wyer

Alan Grahame

Jim McMillan

John Louis

Dave Morton

The 1978 British final line-up. Slightly better than this year!

You can say that again. :t::approve: :approve:

Edited by The White Knight

As predicted.. the thread begins to descend into the rose tinted, every rider was great thread in the 70's. Shame as there has been some very interesting reading prior.

Your post is redundant the moment you declare Woffinden an Aussie.

He isn't, so grow up.

• Like 1