British Speedway Forum
drvortexz

Somerset And The Confederate Flag

if you google "rebel emblem images" nearly every image has a picture of the Rebel Alliance flag from the Star wars series, nice design, but think there may be copyright problems if this was used by Somerset ?

Edited by piston197

if you google "rebel emblem images" nearly every image has a picture of the Rebel Alliance flag from the Star wars series, nice design,

but think there may be copyright problems if this was used by Somerset ?

Copyright or perhaps trademark infringement.

Edited by Ghostwalker

One could also ask the question as to why the use of the flag gained popularity at roughl the same time as the black civil rights movement in the south?Coincidence?

Accepting the above Iris.....but how long have Somerset used the flag as their symbol? I am not sure how long, but it is many years, probably around 15 years. Why hasn't it been brought up before? Racism hasn't just been invented! Whichever way one defends Somerset's likely innocent use of the flag as a club symbol, the pressure on the club to drop it's use, is likely to be too much. As someone else said, they can't afford the bad publicity. Perhaps the Somerset 'Rebel' symbol could be related to a modern day British rebel. Perhaps a caricature of a Punk Rocker!

Accepting the above Iris.....but how long have Somerset used the flag as their symbol? I am not sure how long, but it is many years, probably around 15 years. Why hasn't it been brought up before?

You haven't read through the thread Ray,as I have already shown it has been brought up before.In 2009 at least.I remember discussions on the subject,quite possibly not the 2009 thread.That was just the one that I found within a minute of doing a search.......

You haven't read through the thread Ray,as I have already shown it has been brought up before.In 2009 at least.I remember discussions on the subject,quite possibly not the 2009 thread.That was just the one that I found within a minute of doing a search.......

Ok.

Putting the politics to one side, maybe Somerset would change their logo to something more relevant to a team in the south west of England. Using the Confederate battle flag is pretty naff and actually quite lazy. Why not use the coat of arms of the Duke of Monmouth who led an army of Somerset rebels in an attempt to overthrow King James II in 1685? This is a simplified version of the coat of arms -it sort of puts me in mind of an old Canterbury race jacket.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=duke+of+monmouth+arms&client=tablet-android-samsung&biw=1280&bih=800&prmd=ismvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVt9W1187KAhWL7RQKHTdhB44Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=RZTDnAiPQGDP5M%3A

The uprising ended in defeat at Sedgemoor, which may put folk off, but the American Civil War didn't exactly end well for the Confederacy either.

Putting the politics to one side, maybe Somerset would change their logo to something more relevant to a team in the south west of England. Using the Confederate battle flag is pretty naff and actually quite lazy. Why not use the coat of arms of the Duke of Monmouth who led an army of Somerset rebels in an attempt to overthrow King James II in 1685? This is a simplified version of the coat of arms -it sort of puts me in mind of an old Canterbury race jacket.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=duke+of+monmouth+arms&client=tablet-android-samsung&biw=1280&bih=800&prmd=ismvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVt9W1187KAhWL7RQKHTdhB44Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=RZTDnAiPQGDP5M%3A

The uprising ended in defeat at Sedgemoor, which may put folk off, but the American Civil War didn't exactly end well for the Confederacy either.

They Have. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=duke+of+monmouth+arms&client=tablet-android-samsung&biw=1280&bih=800&prmd=ismvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVt9W1187KAhWL7RQKHTdhB44Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=HXP1qxC2DkD3LM%3A

• Like 1

That's the arms of the Duke of Marlborough who put down the rebellion, although at the time he was just John Churchill. He gained his dukedom ironically for his part in deposing James a couple of years later.

As Pirate Nick has alluded to, Somerset have already announced a change of team logo and it was this announcement on 19 January that sparked this thread back to life. It seems that some people may have missed this announcement:

http://www.somersetrebels.co/news.php?extend.1640

They are retaining the 'Rebels' nickname, but have changed the logo.

• Like 1

That's the arms of the Duke of Marlborough who put down the rebellion, although at the time he was just John Churchill. He gained his dukedom ironically for his part in deposing James a couple of years later.

Oops. Identifying coats of arms is always hazardous with dukes 😉
  • Like 1

Oops. Identifying coats of arms is always hazardous with dukes

Identifying my coat after an evening at the Duke's Arms is always hazardous... :lol:

• Like 2

they could have gone with an image of one of the soldiers of the time , think it might have looked better.

they could have gone with an image of one of the soldiers of the time , think it might have looked better.

IMO, they probably wanted to move away from any logo associated with guns or violence and went down the route of a mythical creature, associated with the local area, that didn't breathe fire but spat poison...

Copyright or perhaps trademark infringement.

Oh well , its better to feed a few terminally offended then . rather than get in trouble with the movie industry over copyrights etc , just keep the current one everyone wins

I agree. I think it would have made for a great logo and fitted better with the nickname.

Edited by grachan