British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Future Of Scunthorpe Scorpions

It may not be relevant but I would like to know.

If gates are say 50% of the level of 50 years ago, that may suggest that giving people what they had then would entice them more than giving them what they are currently getting.

e.g...One league of 21 teams, no d/ups. no stupid gimmicks...just 20 home and 20 away league meetings, a k.o.cup competition and great individual meetings.

Just a thought.

• Like 4

Well having read this forum, i was going to Somerset on Friday, but me & my partner will be making the trip from Bristol to give Scunthorpe our support

Blooming heck that knocks our 140 mile round trip from Bradford right out the boundary. What a gesture sure everyone at the EWR will welcome you warmly. Have a safe trip up.

• Like 3

It may not be relevant but I would like to know.

If gates are say 50% of the level of 50 years ago, that may suggest that giving people what they had then would entice them more than giving them what they are currently getting.

e.g...One league of 21 teams, no d/ups. no stupid gimmicks...just 20 home and 20 away league meetings, a k.o.cup competition and great individual meetings.

Just a thought.

You'd probably be looking at closer to 5%, rather than 50% at a lot of places :-(,,, fans were able to smoke freely anywhere and drink beer out of glasses, but things have changed, plus everything is so bloody expensive these days,,,

• Like 1

Perhaps 6 man teams, 13 heat matches is the way to go... More 4 team tournaments to boost visiting support... what cost benefit would that make to promotions? Probably too late to help Rob at Scunny, but for the good of the sport?

• Like 1

How is that relevant to today's problems. Those days and gates are gone, it's a different world now.

But you can still reflect on how you lost the support the loyal supporter over the years the stupid rules have played a massive part. Edited by sidney
  • Like 3

Perhaps 6 man teams, 13 heat matches is the way to go... More 4 team tournaments to boost visiting support... what cost benefit would that make to promotions? Probably too late to help Rob at Scunny, but for the good of the sport?

I presented a plan for the sport two years ago; Rob had a copy and its all in there what we need to do; including switch to 6 man teams; merger of leagues then split north/south. 8 man squads; centralised contracts to allow one marquee rider at each club. Individual track championships; return of Golden Helmet match race. 3 team tournament to bring local fans into tracks from local rivals. We have to be prepared to take a step back; re-group at our most sustainable level (Premier) and change. If something aint working you just dont carry on regardless you do something about it. Doing nothing as usual; is no longer an option.

Well having read this forum, i was going to Somerset on Friday, but me & my partner will be making the trip from Bristol to give Scunthorpe our support

Dont forget my programme??
  • Like 1

Depends where in Poland they come from, speedway in Poland pretty much renationalised.

Renationalised - do you mean regionalised? We have some Polish neighbours who looked rather blank when I asked if they had seen speedway in Poland. But they knew all the Polish football clubs and leading players when asked about them.

Edited by Guest

in

Renationalised - do you mean regionalised? We have some Polish neighbours who looked rather blank when I asked if they had seen speedway in Poland. But they knew all the Polish football clubs and leading players when asked about them.

Same here; friend of mine his Mrs is Polish; as an ice breaker I waded in with "your all big Speedway fans in Poland yeah? - Tomas Gollob ?..she looked at me completely clueless.

Edited by the outsider

Apologies yes I did.

But you can still reflect on how you lost the support the loyal supporter over the years the stupid rules have played a massive part.

You can reflect on anything you like, but the world is a different place, with more social activities and expectations. Nothing you can extract from 'reflections' will point you in the direction of a speedway salvation.

• Like 1

Does anyone think before we do finally go to that big track in the sky; Rob and the team might call a meeting and give folks chance to have a say ?

Or do we all just clear off 31 August and never darken door again ?

Sad if that was to be the case.

It seems In Football more and more teams are being run by Supporters Trust's In Speedway isnt this what has happened at Edinburgh ? Would it work at Scunny ?

Does anyone think before we do finally go to that big track in the sky; Rob and the team might call a meeting and give folks chance to have a say ?

Or do we all just clear off 31 August and never darken door again ?

Sad if that was to be the case.

Don't know why I asked this; I've been DEFUNCTED without a track and long enough I should know the pack drill by now!