British Speedway Forum
Speedball

King's Lynn 2016

It's nice to look back thinking of all the good ole days, but the sport today is a million miles apart from what it use to be and as such is difficult to compare. Brought up by my 'Bike Mad' dad I knew nothing else than attending meetings, Scrambles every week, Speedway every other week at Norwich and any opportunity, we fitted in Road Racing and Grass Track as well. It was one of those midweek grass track meeting at Peterborough, when the Showground was in the town ( Dogthorpe I believe) that I remember Barry Briggs for the first time. Standing 10 foot tall he was surrounded by fans 20 deep, so much so, it caused an obstruction that he had to be fenced off to give him space

Whose that Dad?, I asked. he son, is the greatest rider you'll ever see. Sure enough that night he was superb. he won all his races at a canter, an embarrassment to all other riders he readily lapped. He was from another planet.

Shortly after we were at the Firs .the confrontation between him and Fundin were eagerly awaited. My dad had a big wager on Briggs . but it was never in doubt, out in front or from the back Briggs ruled Fundin that night. From then on I followed Briggs career. I thought he was far better than his trophy count. and on his day he was truly majestic. My Dad's assessment of him wasn't wrong.......

Looking back at those times brings back wonderful feelings and I think that is were the differences lie. I know the bikes are faster, the riders more professional, but to me it was the occasion of the event that made them stand out. The environment totally took over the event. I went to loads of Wembley finals . It wasn't that the races was terrific, but the crowd, the noise and exciting was the governing factors that made it memorable.

I don't think those times will ever return. The world now is a different place to the one we were brought up in. I for one will be forever grateful that my dad was that Motorbike Nut.

A lovely nostalgic post. I think your upbringing was not a lot different to mine. From the earliest age I can remember it was motorbikes. Even the bedtime stories my Dad told me as a toddler seemed to involve Speedwáy and Speedwáy riders.

I think you are right about th e occasion, and I do belive seeing top riders every few weeks on TV in the GP's since Sky came along has taken away some of the awe that surrounded them. When you only saw top stars maybe once or twice a year it gave them an extra charisma. Not the same when they are on TV all the time.

I still enjoy the racing though. It's not better, not worse, just different now.

I

• Like 2

A lovely nostalgic post. I think your upbringing was not a lot different to mine. From the earliest age I can remember it was motorbikes. Even the bedtime stories my Dad told me as a toddler seemed to involve Speedwáy and Speedwáy riders.

I think you are right about th e occasion, and I do belive seeing top riders every few weeks on TV in the GP's since Sky came along has taken away some of the awe that surrounded them. When you only saw top stars maybe once or twice a year it gave them an extra charisma. Not the same when they are on TV all the time.

I still enjoy the racing though. It's not better, not worse, just different now.

I

Yeah....... I still enjoy the racing. Its inbreeded into me. What you say about the TV is more true than people realised. I adored Mike Hailwood but was only privileged to see him a few times a year, whereas with Rossi I watch every MotoGP™. Thinking back, I can relate to most of the times I watched Hailwood remembering most of the details of his races, where now my collection of Rossi races is quite immense, his race detail fade with time .

Its the same with most sports and in that way TV has a lot to answer for. Of cause it's better we have this facility, but them olde days will always live on....

• Like 1

Taking there time with the team announcement!

Apparently they maybe adding to the list of FTRs according to someone on another thread.I would assume they will wait to see if anymore names are added and then go from there.I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this before but cant say I am a 100% :o

When the Rory night was arranged I thought this coud be the night when annoucements were made. Now I'm not so sure........

Personally , I not bothered who they get to ride. Such is the sate of the game now, the winning and achieving something doesn't seem so important any more. I shall continue supporting hoping to enjoy the basis of what the sport was once all about ....... and forget all about those stupid lists, those complicated rules , and the merry-go-round of riding positions with fictitious averages.......

38 - 40 was a wonderful time. Why has a sport that is, so basically straight forward, been made so complex. :sad:

• Like 3

Apparently they maybe adding to the list of FTRs according to someone on another thread.I would assume they will wait to see if anymore names are added and then go from there.I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this before but cant say I am a 100% :o

Can't see this being the case but if it is then surely the whole process of picking reserves would have to be redone? Wouldn't be fair to let any team just pick a new name on the list willy nilly.

More importantly will they be adding names to the heat leader list who wanted to ride in the UK ? :sad:

Edited by semion

Can't see this being the case but if it is then surely the whole process of picking reserves would have to be redone? Wouldn't be fair to let any team just pick a new name on the list willy nilly.

I was just saying what somebody else said about names being added.I assume as their are only 7 1st picks as Blackbird looks like he has pulled out,and there are 8 teams it would also be unfair on Lynn to have the 9th choice second tier rider as their no1 1st pick.Does that make sense,it does to me but maybe not others.

• Like 1

The way I see it, we had Lewis but chose to change our race night and therefore had to let him go so its tough luck if we now end up with a poor number six.

• Like 6

The way I see it, we had Lewis but chose to change our race night and therefore had to let him go so its tough luck if we now end up with a poor number six.

Fair enough on that point,but apparently he was told we maybe riding Thursdays before he signed for Ipswich(unsure).But had Kerr been riding for Lynn then it would have been unfair on Lakeside to lose out because Blackbird decided to quit.

At the end of the day their should be 8 1st picks and at present their are only 7 regardless of what night any club ride on.

• Like 1

Why was the race night changed, i thought it was to accomodate a top rider.

I think the official line was to move towards same day racing. If you believe that I'll introduce you to the fairies at the bottom of my garden

• Like 1

I think the official line was to move towards same day racing. If you believe that I'll introduce you to the fairies at the bottom of my garden

To late, they've moved into my garden.

• Like 2

Fair enough on that point,but apparently he was told we maybe riding Thursdays before he signed for Ipswich(unsure).But had Kerr been riding for Lynn then it would have been unfair on Lakeside to lose out because Blackbird decided to quit.

At the end of the day their should be 8 1st picks and at present their are only 7 regardless of what night any club ride on.

Blackbird had retired before the end of last season. He told Lakeside not to include him but they announced him anyway.

Blackbird had retired before the end of last season. He told Lakeside not to include him but they announced him anyway.

If that was the case then maybe they should have included another rider into the first picks from the off.Why an earth did the picks go ahead with a rider who wasn't riding included in it,they must have known it would cause problems.

• Like 1