British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Poole Vs The Aces For The Title

Spot on Tony. The Aces did themselves proud over the two legs. Too much is being made of the goggles thing, the ref missed it and that should be that, it doesn't detract from Poole's win in the slightest. It was a mistake that happened, no cheating in the slightest. The SCB should just have confirmed that on Tuesday morning. Even as an Aces fan you have to be honest and say sometimes you just get beat by the better team, and over the two legs, the whole season in fact, it is hard to argue that Poole weren't better than us.

if any Ace deserves special mention though it is Craig Cook, what a performance over the two legs and for sure he looked like he had some mega pride in the Aces bib, massive well done to Cookie

Hopefully this can be the springboard to big things in the new stadium

Cookie was amazing! Wow. I also think a lot of credit should go to Mark Lemon. What a thoroughly decent bloke and totally professional he will prove to be a top choice for TM ...

• Like 9

I'll be honest, I feel a little sorry for Poole. One of their riders made a mistake. It happens but normally when a mistake is made it's sorted out by the referee, the referee messed up so BV appealed. The mupets at the SCB failed to act. This now leave a huge question mark over the result.

Poole didn't cheat but on of their riders did make a mistake that the rulebook says should be punished.

So well done to the SCB on leaving a sour taste in Poole win. Well done for not acting. All it took was a quick meeting yesterday morning to make a decision and announce it! Now whatever they decide is going to be "wrong".

There is a procedure for appeals as i have stated earlier, and it involves putting up a fee. BV didn't use that procedure, therefore there is really no case to reply too. The ref made a mistake, but that happens in all sports. The only thing activating criticism is that it was Poole, and it gives the usual rantees another go. Note they are not BV fans, who have been brilliant throughout their great journey, but the usuals from the Midland clubs. Get over ya selves.

• Like 4

Poole didn't cheat but on of their riders did make a mistake that the rulebook says should be punished.

Where?

• Like 1

Cookie was amazing! Wow. I also think a lot of credit should go to Mark Lemon. What a thoroughly decent bloke and totally professional he will prove to be a top choice for TM ...

Makes the guy at Brandon look a bit second rate . :D

Mark Lemon = Top Man

Edited by Dave Jones
  • Like 2

Kyle Newman throwing his goggles into the Aces fans was in response to some good natured stick from us Aces fans heading down to Poole on the coach.

You'll see from the photos from the coach on Twitter that the Aces fans were having the craic with him over "Gogglegate" & were more than happy with their "present" on the way back north.

Thanks Kyle, great sense of humour, all the best for 2016 & onwards!

• Like 7

There is a procedure for appeals as i have stated earlier, and it involves putting up a fee. BV didn't use that procedure, therefore there is really no case to reply too. The ref made a mistake, but that happens in all sports. The only thing activating criticism is that it was Poole, and it gives the usual rantees another go. Note they are not BV fans, who have been brilliant throughout their great journey, but the usuals from the Midland clubs. Get over ya selves.

The procedure is to appeal to the referee after the heat and then appealing in writing within 24 hours. Lemon has said on twitter he appealed to the referee and BV stated on their website they have appealed to the SCB. They have followed the procedure.

Where?

The rule states says, "goggles must be worn" and the rule that says riders must be "ready to race" within the 2 minute time allowance.

Edited by SCB

Makes the guy at Brandon look a bit second rate . :D

Mark Lemon = Top Man

No comment! ;)

Poole may have won the title, but IMO BV are the real winners. Why?

BV held Poole to a draw at Kirky Lane, coming back from many points behind.

They go to Poole, who should now have the home advantage, and BV loose just by two, just two!.

I can imagine what a confidence boost that is - losing by 2 overall to the team that was top of the league 2015, title holders for the previous two years, that should be a huge confidence boost in itself, but now they go to a new stadium, a stadium with a track designed for speedway (not determined by the shape of a dog track) by speedway rider(s), who know what a good track should be like i.e. Hyde Rd, Torun, Bydgoszh etc.

Add to that, sounds like CCook had two meetings unlike any before. Don't forget he scored 7 in the GP at Cardiff, thats no mean acheivement at all. Maybe he had a well tuned engine and mind at Cardiff, and maybe done the same this week for the play offs. Whatever.....

If I was Poole management, and the rest of the Elite teams, I would be very worried.......

It all sounds like a promising future for Belle Vue in 2016, get that great name BELLE VUE back to where it belongs... at the top.

• Like 4

I want to point out 2 positives from the Sky coverage of the play-offs:

1) Exciting racing over 30 heats of the final and the semi-finals

2) Full stadiums - nice to see on the TV

Whilst true that will not go anyway near to making up for the fact the previous six months were about watching select teams in almost empty stadiums, well done to Pirates and Aces for an entertaining final but lets not kid ourselves, our sport is in a shocking state and no matter how good the play off finals were it won't bring back the thousands in lost revenue the majority of tracks have suffered during the season because fans stopped going.

• Like 3

I'll be honest, I feel a little sorry for Poole. One of their riders made a mistake. It happens but normally when a mistake is made it's sorted out by the referee, the referee messed up so BV appealed. The mupets at the SCB failed to act. This now leave a huge question mark over the result.

So well done to the SCB on leaving a sour taste in Poole win. Well done for not acting. All it took was a quick meeting yesterday morning to make a decision and announce it! Now whatever they decide is going to be "wrong".

Exactly this. Its not a Poole issue its a process issue!

This may very well be the case. All that would have been required is a simple statement from the SCB stating this.

It's basic PR. This issue isn't just a BSF thing, which you seem keen to isolate it too. All over social media fans were up in arms about it, much of it of course due to past history with Poole. The SCB and the BSPA would have been fully aware of this, but it seems they haven't learnt from past lessons.

A statement would have put most of it to bed.

Both legs of the final made for great TV - think we all saw why Poole avoided Belle Vue in the semi final! Just for fun thought I'd check the averages for the final:

Poole

Holder 7.11

Watt 6.00

Gomolski 5.50

North 5.78

Janowski 7.11

Starke 7.11

Newman 10.00

Belle Vue

Zagar 8.00

Fricke 5.00

Gracjonek 5.00

Nicholls 9.78

Cook 10.00

Worrall 3.00

Nielsen 3.00

So, the three best riders were British - who'd have thought :t:

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

Whilst true that will not go anyway near to making up for the fact the previous six months were about watching select teams in almost empty stadiums, well done to Pirates and Aces for an entertaining final but lets not kid ourselves, our sport is in a shocking state and no matter how good the play off finals were it won't bring back the thousands in lost revenue the majority of tracks have suffered during the season because fans stopped going.

Have to agree!

A few thoughts in reflection on last night:

• An enjoyable evening that was a lot tenser than I had expected when heading to Wimbourne Road. It goes to show why the playoffs are an excellent addition to the sport. As a long-time NFL fan, I'm quite used to the drama that a playoff system brings, and it really did add something to the end of the season. It ramped everything up a notch and you could really see it on track. Might have just been me, but it seemed like more riders than usual were off the bikes when at the start lines, doing some gardening. You could tell every race was crucial, and having a Grand Final gave us speedway fans a little bit of extra excitement at the end of the year. Poole may have been the strongest team in 2015, but a plucky, in-form Aces side nearly toppled them in the final, and it was great viewing!! I hope the Belle Vue fans enjoyed their trip down, in what was a noisy atmosphere. Congrats again on an excellent season, and good luck in your new home in 2016.
  • Mark Lemon is a damn fine manager. All those years as a Poole asset must have rubbed off :lol:
  • Would the meeting(s) have been better without the stupid double-points tac rule? If the traditional tac-sub rule (when six points down) was a possibility Belle Vue would have been able to use Cookie at a crucial moment last night, and potentially Zagar or Nicholls. Might have even cost Poole the title. They'd also have been able to get back in the meeting quicker at home too.... Man I hate that silly double-points rule. EUUGHH.
  • Magic really is top draw at home, and the epitome of what a captain should be. He's a superb team rider, often looking out for his team mate and sheparding them home for 5-1s. You could also see him geeing riders up in the pits, and he was giving Dak and Kacper advice before the title-clinching heat 14. He really is becoming a Pirate legend in a relatively short time.
  • Those complaining about Googlegate, and the use of Eddie Kennett for Dak in the semi-final need to get over it. Again, drawing on my NFL-fandom for parallels, there will always be a set of fans who hate winners and look for any excuse to besmirch another team's victory as fortuitous, or cheating. Whether it's the Snow Plow game (1982), the Tuck Rule game (2001), The Holy Roller (1978), The Music City Miracle (1999), the Fail Mary (2013) or the Immaculate Reception (1972), people can make as many accusations all they like, but it doesn't change the result. It just adds the the lore of the sport.
Edited by Bleeds Pirate Blue