British Speedway Forum

Apart from those who also run NL teams, training schools etc.....

Its about running a business and having a robust business plan.

No point in also running NL if it doesn't at least break even!! As for training schools, its a little difficult when you haven't got full access to your own stadium facilities and anyway investing in assets and getting them trained up in competitive action at other clubs is much better planning - both financially and future team-building wise. :t::D

All power to those clubs that can and do provide training facilities. Also to Neil Vatcher (part of the Poole family :wink: ) for all his work with the younger Brits. Long may it continue.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

That all is as may be, my point is that Mr Ford can't be looking any further ahead than those who are nurturing 12, 13 & 14 year olds and then giving them NL team places when they turn 15. You said that he looks further ahead than any other promoter and that simply isn't true. I accept that not everyone can run NL, but Lewis Kerr for example had his first rides at Lynn some three or four years before he made his full Stars debut, and for those initial laps he was as raw as you can imagine. That is proper long term planning.

Mr Ford's talent spotting skills are obviously very good but don't try and tell us all that he plans further ahead than anyone else.

That all is as may be, my point is that Mr Ford can't be looking any further ahead than those who are nurturing 12, 13 & 14 year olds and then giving them NL team places when they turn 15. You said that he looks further ahead than any other promoter and that simply isn't true. I accept that not everyone can run NL, but Lewis Kerr for example had his first rides at Lynn some three or four years before he made his full Stars debut, and for those initial laps he was as raw as you can imagine. That is proper long term planning.

Mr Ford's talent spotting skills are obviously very good but don't try and tell us all that he plans further ahead than anyone else.

Agree, Ford cherry picks talent where the riders development has nothing to do with Poole IMO.

They're pretty much ready made riders

From Premier League to Elite League, there's not a lot in it in terms of stardards

For me, the rider's don't further develop until they hit the Polish Ekstraliga & or Swedish Elitserien

It's the same at King's Lynn with Robert Lambert. I do not believe he's improved from riding the EL compared to the PL.

I think he's improved this season because he's had tasters of the Elitserien league, especially his gating.

I don't see Kerr as a good example of Stars 'long term planning'. Where is Kerr riding again?

• Like 1

I don't see Kerr as a good example of Stars 'long term planning'. Where is Kerr riding again?

Depends how you see long term planning. A rider going out and learning on trick tracks could be good for the future

• Like 1

In my opinion Matt Ford has certainly planned for the future with Brady Kurtz and now Jack Holder who i believe will be as good as his brother Chris, Jack Holder will be better than Brady Kurtz in a couple of years time.

In my opinion Matt Ford has certainly planned for the future with Brady Kurtz and now Jack Holder who i believe will be as good as his brother Chris, Jack Holder will be better than Brady Kurtz in a couple of years time.

The Aussie connection at Poole was started long before Matt Ford with Neil Street starting it off.

Every team knows about the young Aussie's these days but they will always want to ride at a club where other Aussie's still ride or used to ride.

Nothing great from Ford in that although to be fair he didn't sign Mr Blobby James Holder so got that spot on😉

• Like 1

Completely irrelevant. He progressed from very first laps to the first team, thats long term planning. Very similar story for Lewis Rose. And as Danny says, Kerr may well be back in the future, still a club asset. Hopefully the likes of Josh Bailey, Tom Stokes, Ryan Kinsley and Lewis Whitmore will follow in their footsteps.

Both Jack and Brady were on Matts radar long before any other promoter in this country even got out of bed. As for your second part yes he could well be. He will really come into his own when he starts riding for us full time. But his ambitions will not be given to him on a plate, he will have to work hard for them..

Sorry, but im afraid he does...

Edited by Starman2006

Both Jack and Brady were on Matts radar long before any other promoter in this country even got out of bed.

well I drove Chris Holder and a Kings Lynn promoter down to Somerset maybe 2006?? (think Somerset first season) and Chris was telling us how Jack was even better than him, so 10 years or so ago he was certainly on the radar, but with the Poole connections I don't think there was any doubt where Jack would go.

now tell me, how come Darcy Ward wasn't on Matt's radar

well I drove Chris Holder and a Kings Lynn promoter down to Somerset maybe 2006?? (think Somerset first season) and Chris was telling us how Jack was even better than him, so 10 years or so ago he was certainly on the radar, but with the Poole connections I don't think there was any doubt where Jack would go.

now tell me, how come Darcy Ward wasn't on Matt's radar

He was, now tell me why he didn't stay at KL ? He wanted to ride with Chris and wanted to be at a successful club... Somerset first season, please explain ?

Edited by Starman2006

He was, now tell me why he didn't stay at KL ? He wanted to ride with Chris and wanted to be at a successful club... Somerset first season, please explain ?

Somerset first season in the league

I know why he didn't stay at KL, and I know why he was sold instead of being loaned, and when he was at KL he won plenty of trophies

• Like 1

Somerset first season in the league

Somersets first season was in 2000. in the conference league.